Thread: defying gravity oarghh

Default defying gravity oarghh

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    19 y/o
    5'11, 178lbs
    training since.. too god damn long to still be a novice

goals: 1.5x BW bench, 1xBW press, 2xBW DL, compete in powerlifting someday.

I have a garage gym with all the essentials, and will be expanding it as I go. Currently have olympic barbell (okay quality), super sturdy flat bench, sturdy but a little narrow power rack, 350lbs of very good quality iron plates, chalk, and of course gigantic death metal speakers. Currently trying to gain weight and finish novice progression, I try to eat 6-7K calories on workout days and around 3.5K on off days. I also just recently turned 19, so I go to the bar every weekend. Liquor? I definately know her.. :P

Wednesday

Squat 225 (**) 5/5/5 good

Bench 150 (*7.5) 5/5/5 getting used to the narrowness of the rack, plus the first rep is now off the safeties.

Dead 260 (**17.5) 5 pretty easy, my DOH grip is getting a beating from work

Chins 12, 9
    HLR 15, 15 my forearms couldn't take another set of chins or HLR, so I stopped.

Good day, drenched in sweat. Aunt came by and blew a toke into the garage, so I was lifting in an intoxicated space. Helped motivate me to finish faster I guess. Oh, tried eggs scrambled in bacon grease for the first time today.. so good.

Friday

Squat 230 (**2.5) 5/5/5 very easy

Press 110 (32.5) 5/5/5 easy - from now on, all weights are cleaned first. second set was all over the place, third set was great.

PClean 155 (*5) 3/3/3 easy - only do 3x3 on these because 5x3 makes my back ridiculously sore. sue me.

Chins 12,9,7 - looks like I'm finally putting on weight, my chins are getting harder! BACON FTMFW.
    HLR 10, 10, 10

Lifting in my garage is like lifting in a high altitude zone with less oxygen.. I don't know what it is, but I'm literally DRENCHED halfway through. It's so bad that i have to dry my hands everytime before I put on chalk or else it just disappears on contact.

OH YEAH. TODAY I RIPPED MY UNDERWEAR SQUATTING. LOLOLOL grandpa boxers did NOT hold up to the strain.. do you know how weird a two flap wedgie feels? I would frame them, but they're soaked in sweat, so in the trash they go...

Monday

Squat 235 (**5) 5/5/5 v.easy

Bench 160 (*12.5) 5/5/5 easy - much, much better groove this time around.

Death 275 (**25) 5 alright - had to raise by 15lbs b/c i forgot to buy 4x 10lb plates, so I can't make 22.5.. doh

Chins 12.8(fuck!), 10, 8
    HLR 12, 12, 12 - i hope i'm still gaining weight, I don't think i ate enough this weekend, but I ate at least 1xBW protein (and some beers)

Good day. Chins are going up, but I've been eating like a madman. I dont know how the hell i did it a year ago and was able to just keep eating and eating. Definately took that trait for granted! I caved and finally bought whey so I ensure i get at least 1xBW protein on my off days. Time for 2 mcdoubles (apparently they're 22g of protein each, and they're only $3 for two! booyah; and 400 calories each)

Wednesday
    BW: 183.6lbs (went up!)

Squat 240 (**7.5) 5/5/5 okay - work must have raped me, had no energy in these at all

Press 115 (35) 5/5/5 easy! - the BW increase must have had a huge effect on this, they flew up!

PCleans 150 (*7.5) 3/3/3 okay - really need to watch the video on how to catch these on the thighs, and need to post a form check.

Chins ?!, 9ish?!
    HLR 12, 12 - i lost count on both fucking sets of chinups (wtf?!), but im sure they went down with the BW increase. forearms too beat to do another set.

Fuck the rest, presses went up super easy, I'm happy. See you friday.

Friday
    BW 180.3 (wut.. i ate so much before i weighed myself. all weighing is done after my last squat set.)

Squat 245 (**10) easy - had like 1 minute rests between sets, was in a hurry and pumped to hell.

Bench 170 (*17.5) hard - gonna take off the safeties and just move my pins for the next session. i'll leave the weight clips off if i fail. time for 5lb jumps!

Deadlift 285 (**30) okay - not that hard. my doh grip is still going hard, so i'm happy about that.

no chins or HLR, I was in a rush to meet the guys to go drinking so I finished my whole workout in 45 minutes. protein shake and mcdonalds after for convenience. the weights are starting to get back up to my old PRs, so this is where it gets interesting.

Monday
    BW 181.8

Squat 250 (**12.5) 5,5,5 easy

Press 120 (37.5) 5,5,5 easyish - Definately getting stronger/eating right. Matched old PR.

PClean 155 (*10) 3,3,3 okay - getting better.

Chins 10, 10, 8
    HLR 13, 13, 13

Good session.
    Last edited by skipbeat; 09-21-2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: forgot a 5

Slight mishap.

Wednesday
    BW 179.8

Squat 255 5,5,5 okay

Bench 180 (10lb jump) - today was the first time i benched with no safeties off the pins, and i also have only 2 10lb plates, so I tried to be omega and go for a 10lb jump to rectify it. Big mistake. I got stuck with the weight on me after the 3rd rep, and I barely managed to squeeze out without taking off my head. Took so much energy out of me I just called it a day and smoked a joint on the spot. Scary shit man.

Friday
    BW 180.6

Squat 255 5,5,5 good - using a much lower bar now. my rack is narrow so I have to take it out of the rack, then shuffle it down an inch or two and widen my grip. as long as I keep my elbows up high, I should be fine. It takes like 70% of the torque off my low back.

Bench 172.5 5,5,5 okay - off the pins still. just gonna take it easy. If I dont acquire 2xx10lb olympic weights by wednesday, I will do this weight again for 5x5. also, I leave the collars off as a precaution.. not letting that shit happen again.

Death 295 5 okay - still going strong. double overhand.

Chins 10 Pullups 6,4 (the last set wasnt to failure, I felt a weird pain in my forearm)
    HLR - 13, 13, 13

I like pullups more than chinups. Hopefully the pain associated will go away in time.
    Last edited by skipbeat; 09-16-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: forgot chins and HLR

Quote Originally Posted by skipbeat View Post
    and of course gigantic death metal speakers
    That's a 10% boost to all of your lifts right there

Nice work so far. I've developed some forearm pain recently from chinups too, doh.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jgh View Post
    That's a 10% boost to all of your lifts right there

Nice work so far. I've developed some forearm pain recently from chinups too, doh.
    Thanks, but looks like life's getting in the way right now. I just get laid off from my job on Sunday, so I'm dedicating all my focus towards finding new employment. The program's on hold. Goddamnit, I was one day away from breaking my press PR. When I come back, I'll have a better eating plan laid out to put on weight a little faster, and get more protein (as well as a load reduction if it take's over a week).

Edit: Been thinking. With the diet upgrade (will probably include close to GOMAD on training days), I will probably also switch to every-other-day training. Still SS, will alternate chinups&pullups. The reason being that I usually fuck up my diet on the weekends, eating too little and drinking too much, and a net decrease in body weight which is hampering me. I know myself, and I know that if I either trained today or have to train tomorrow, it will help me mentally eat better (and drink less.)
    Last edited by skipbeat; 09-20-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast