starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quest for 216lbs

Default Quest for 216lbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi there! Here's the basics: 6', 205lbs, 43 yrs old. Started a new healthy life in March 2010 after doctor visit and blood test results weren't too good. Over the next 9 months I lost 30 lbs (down to 179#) and got my blood work cleaned up via bw exercises, two kettle bells, tons of running and cycling and a spartan diet. I switched to barbell training in December 2010 (tired of being hungry and long, boring workouts) but I had no idea what I was doing. Discovered SS around February, albeit my early going was awful due to poor form and not eating enough. I won't bother with the whole record of my progression, just the beginning and the most recent.

February 2011: body weight 184#, bf 14% - 15%
    Squat - 155# 3x5
    Bench - 105# 3x5
    Dead - 135# 3x5
    OH Press - 75# 3x5
    PC - just working on form

I had a 10 day layoff in April due to a pretty bad injury unrelated to lifting.
    Same thing in July, for personal reasons that don't matter here.
    In late July I finally got my home gym set up, ditched my membership, started working out in p.m. rather than early a.m., and everything's going great.

As of September 1st, body weight 205lbs. Don't know my bf%, but waist still a 34. All my pants are too tight in the seat and thighs now.
    Squat - Hit all my reps at 270# Tuesday, but then missed yesterday at 272#
    Bench - 172# 3x5
    Dead - 280# 1x5
    OH Press - 110# 3x5
    PC - 130# 3x5 (probably lagging behind since I was so bad at it to begin with)
    Dips (with 10# plate) 12/12/11
    Chins - 8/7/6

The whole "Quest for 216lbs" is predicated on the 3lbs per inch of height rule that floats around all over. I don't know if that rule has any real merit, but at 6' and 205 it seems like a pretty good goal to pursue, especially because I don't really care if I can see my abs. (My smoking hot wife of 15 yrs didn't like the skinny runner version of me anyway. She likes the viking version!)

We shall see now how much genetic potential I have left.

Squat 265# 3x5
    When I missed at 272# on Thursday, I finished out squats by reducing back to 255# to complete reps; increase back to 265# wasn't too bad, but still not sure those 7# to 272# are in me yet.
    OH Press 115# 3x5
    PC 135# 3x5
    Chins 8/6/5 I rushed these sets too close together and didn't get last rep on sets 2 & 3.

Squat: 270# 3x5
    Bench: 175# 3x5
    Dead: 290# 1x5

Notes: Strangely, my head was totally not in it tonight, but that didn't seem to detract from my lifts. I was very distracted, mentally tired, and emotionally off, yet physically I roared through the lifts. Skipped out of dips because my wife worked late tonight and I had to go pick her up.
    Last edited by MPE; 09-06-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: I did NOT deadlift 290# 3x5! Not that much of a man yet!

Squat: failed on 1st set, 3rd rep at 275# (knee)
    OH Press: 120# 3x5
    PC: skipped due to knee
    Chins: 7/7/6

Notes: Been nursing along right knee for at least a year. It got better when I first quit running, but it's back and definitely getting worse in the last month. Consistent ache at all times. I couldn't get out of the hole with 275# and it left me with a pretty bad burning sensation. Iced it immediately and finished out press and chins, pc's weren't an option. I am headed out of the country in two weeks, so I don't have time to deal with it in the short term. Guess I'll try to work around it for now and address it when I get back.

Sat. morning knee update-
    Iced the knee twice last night, it's not as bad this morning. The burning sensation is gone and it doesn't hurt too much to walk, but that insistent ache is noticeable. Icing it again right now before I have to leave to coach soccer and stand on it for several hours.
    Last edited by MPE; 09-10-2011 at 06:35 AM.

Squat: failed on 2nd rep at 255# warmup set
    Bench: 180# 3x5
    Dead: skipped
    Dips: 12/12/10 (with 10# plate)

Notes: Missed Sunday's workout due to unavoidable circumstances but I figured the knee would only benefit from the extra day off anyway. Knee was still hurting, but better, so decided to bind it up, give it a go, and see what happened. I was able to push through up to 205# in warmup. At 255# the burning pain was pretty bad and I bailed out. That disqualified trying to deadlift nearly 300#. I am quite frustrated right now. I leave for Haiti in a week to lead a construction team on a mission, but I guess I'm finally gonna have to actually get the knee dealt with when I get back. I suppose I'll cobble together some routine consisting of the main upper body and assistance exercises to keep from getting completely detrained in the mean time.

Squat: 255# - 3x5
    OH Press: 120# - 3x5
    PC: 125# - 3x5
    Chins: 6/6/6

Notes: Got in from Haiti at 2:30am this morning. Survived this trip in much better shape than my post-quake trip last year and only lost 5# body weight. That being said, I weighed 200# even this morning, but I assume the missing 5# will be right back. Knee faired well on the trip and feels pretty good now. Squatted 255# this evening without incident. Work out felt awesome, although chins and press were really tough.

My poor showing physically on my last trip to Haiti was at least part of the reason I undertook the healthier lifestyle that eventually led me to SS. The fact that I was in the hospital upon my return from the last trip, and I squatted for reps today upon my return from this trip tells me that something is going right with my pursuit.

Quote Originally Posted by MPE View Post
    My poor showing physically on my last trip to Haiti was at least part of the reason I undertook the healthier lifestyle that eventually led me to SS. The fact that I was in the hospital upon my return from the last trip, and I squatted for reps today upon my return from this trip tells me that something is going right with my pursuit.
    Hey, Geezling! Welcome. Yep, that's what this Big Medicine will do for you.

(My smoking hot wife of 15 yrs didn't like the skinny runner version of me anyway. She likes the viking version!)
    And this is very, very cool. You young pups take note, Viking trumps Jogger every time.

bob g, thanks for the welcome and comments.

Squat: 260# - 3x5
    Bench: 170# - 1x5, 165# - 2x5
    Dead: 275# - 1x5
    Dips (with 10# plate): 10/8/6

Notes: DOMS in legs after Friday's workout, but not intolerable. I felt generally weak and shaky. Had to drop 5# after first set of bench, and still barely got last rep on last set. Deadlift was ok, but dips fell way off. Knee did fine. Not my best workout ever, but at least its another brick in the wall.

Body weight was back at 204# this morning, so I've basically gained back what I sweated out in Haiti.
    Last edited by MPE; 10-02-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Squat: 265# - 1x5, 1x2 / 255# - 1x1
    OHP: 122# - zero / dropped back to 115# - still couldn't get it

Notes: Worst work out of my entire life, which was strange because I was looking forward to it all day. Sometimes you aren't there mentally, but you just gut it out anyway and get your work in. This time my body just wouldn't respond. After I couldn't get the bar off my chest on the OHP, I just gave up and figured my body was trying to tell me something. My wife and one daughter are sick with bad colds, and I woke with a sore throat, however, I went to work anyway and felt okay. I'm just a little sneezy this evening but I don't really feel bad. Maybe I've just got some viral thing lurking that has sapped my strength.

As an aside, two observations I have made this week. 1) I have been using fitday.com the last few days and realized I'm not eating as much or as correctly as I thought, and 2) just looked at myself in all the pics from the Haiti trip and realized I look like crap. I realize the point is to pursue a performance standard, not an aesthetic standard, but geez......can't even tell I've spent any hours under the bar at all......

starting strength coach development program
    Yep, terrible sore throat and earache today.......probably explains last nights abject failure.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast