starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check please.

Default Deadlift form check please.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Heya,

Could you guys check my form on Deadlift please?

Deadlift last warm-up. 185 pounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHdbOyECA-s
    Deadlift work set. 215 pounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju_YSSZwhCc

I'm just still not sure about these. I re-read some of the section on Deadlifts in SS after thinking I was having problems with them the last workout. At the beginning of it, Mr. Rippetoe describes the exercise as being tough or something. That it's there to get us used to mentally and physically tough exercises. The video's I took seemed somewhat decent, so maybe I should just stop being a puss and man up. lol, not sure..

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide! I do see rounding in the lower back region, but I think that is just my extra tire. It felt like my lower back was extended while doing it.

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by jlmoss View Post
    At the beginning of it, Mr. Rippetoe describes the exercise as being tough or something. That it's there to get us used to mentally and physically tough exercises. The video's I took seemed somewhat decent, so maybe I should just stop being a puss and man up. lol, not sure..
    Deadlifts are very tough. Especially heavy ones. Once you have double that weight on the bar, my bet is that you will feel the same way.

You drop your hips too low at the start. Your shoulder needs to be slightly in front of the bar. Note that as soon as you pull, your hips come up a little and your shoulder moves forward. You want to start there. Your back is not in fully extension, but it isn't awful either. Squeeze up harder. Lastly, your set is taking a long time. You are essentially pulling 5 singles instead of a set of 5. Nail your setup on each rep, but there's not a great reason to prolong the agony.