starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    These look a little deeper than last workout but still not there. I can feel hams hitting my calves, but knees are coming to far forward I think. Also, for some reason the first set always feels the heaviest. Maybe not warming up enough or resting enough after last warmup set? Here is link to previous video:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=26268

Your camera person very cleverly positioned themselves so that the plates obscure your hip joint, so it is hard to judge depth. I recommend checking out the stickies at the top of this forum so that you can get something more useful for strangers on the Internet to review for free. You are shifting your weight on to your toes in a big way at the bottom. Are you intending to perform low bar squats? If so, do you have Starting Strength?

Yeah, the position is my fault, I didn't check to make sure it was the rear quarter. I am attempting low bar squats and do have Starting Strength.

See how your feet are rolling in at the bottom. Knees out harder. And as Tom has stated, you're on your toes a bit. Get your head down as well. Finally, are those tennis / running shoes? The soles look flexy. If they are, get some weightlifting shoes.

If this is a dumb question I apologize, does being on my toes mean my knees are to far forward or the weight is getting shifted to far forward? Keeping my head down is a real struggle for me because I am so worried about depth. I will work on it.

They are running shoes. I do have some flat bottomed shoes but they have no heel lift. I plan on ordering weightlifting shoes in the next two weeks. Just ordered a belt so need another paycheck.
    Last edited by Matt275; 09-06-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt275 View Post
    If this is a dumb question I apologize, does being on my toes mean my knees are to far forward or the weight is getting shifted to far forward? Keeping my head down is a real struggle for me because I am so worried about depth. I will work on it.
    It means that you are shifting your (and thus the barbell's) weight forward. Nothing to do with knee position, since you can alter knee position while still keeping all your weight over the mid-foot.

Thanks Steve. I worked on keeping the weight back and my butt back today. Unfortunately I didn't have my partner to record but it did feel much better. She should be back on Friday, I'll post a follow up then.

My 3rd set from today. Hopefully you find the video angle more to your liking. During the first set I did feel the weight shifting forward on a few reps. I cued myself to push with the middle of the foot. It didn't fix it completely I still had 1 or 2 in the 2nd and 3rd set but I was much more conscious of it happening and corrected it right away. My upper arm is extremely sore from my grip. Not sharp pain but really "achy" for lack of a better term. Not sure what I am doing wrong. My grip has gotten wider the past 2 workouts and it still hurts.

Last edited by Matt275; 09-09-2011 at 10:32 PM.

1) As you get down towards the bottom, you are letting your knees slide forward. Stop it.
    2) You could probably use to more your heels closer together. This will get your foot width spaced properly, while turning your toes out more. This will in turn provide more room to allow you to go deeper.
    3) You are cutting your depth about an inch short.

starting strength coach development program
    I moved my heels closer together as you suggested. My knees are still to far forward and it doesn't look like my depth got any better. Also, my elbows are fucking killing me after my sets. They literally felt like they were going to fail while benching but I just pushed thru it. Unracking the bench was excruciating. I think I'm trying to push the bar forward and into my back. It's totally action only as I don't think about doing it. My 1st set is still killing me and takes much longer than the 2 sets below. It's almost like my body says "WTF is going on here?" Then 5 minutes later its like "No problem." I apologize for the 2nd set video, tried a new angle and it didn't work to well. Also ignore my partner as they certainly are not looking good.

I was so close to being able to make your squat camp today. A client needs a server moved to Atlanta and I was already to do it if my boss could talk them into waiting until the friday before Oct. 2nd. Then I realized it's a Sunday and there's just no way I could get back in time for work on Monday (I'm in PA). Really sucks since I see no progress from the start of this thread until now which lends me to believe I need a coaching session.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast