starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kelly Starrett DL setup

Default Kelly Starrett DL setup

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Overcomplicating something so simple.

One of the big revelations at Rip's seminar happens in the first 10 minutes, when he establishes that an effective coach is an effective communicator.

I'm not saying Starrett is a bad coach. I wouldn't know, but a lot of people whom I consider reasonable respect him, so he probably knows his stuff, and his communication style is likely more focused when he works with athletes. And I've gotten some good results from some of his mobility advice.

But I find that his communication style obfuscates rather than explains, and he gives off the impression of trying really hard to sell me something (even though I know he isn't, really). It drives me crazy. I can glean some sense from this stuff because video has visual cues, but I would hate to have to read a book by him or listen to him as an audio cast. He would benefit from a director/editor, and a lot of us out here in Internet land would benefit if he got one, too, since he probably has some good information to share.

This kind of techno-babble seems to be a characteristic of CF, though, so maybe it makes sense to those guys, and they're probably the target audience after all.

that chic couldn't 2 more minutes to change her socks?

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    that chic couldn't 2 more minutes to change her socks?
    LOL, I was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    One of the big revelations at Rip's seminar happens in the first 10 minutes, when he establishes that an effective coach is an effective communicator.

I'm not saying Starrett is a bad coach. I wouldn't know, but a lot of people whom I consider reasonable respect him, so he probably knows his stuff, and his communication style is likely more focused when he works with athletes. And I've gotten some good results from some of his mobility advice.

But I find that his communication style obfuscates rather than explains, and he gives off the impression of trying really hard to sell me something (even though I know he isn't, really). It drives me crazy. I can glean some sense from this stuff because video has visual cues, but I would hate to have to read a book by him or listen to him as an audio cast. He would benefit from a director/editor, and a lot of us out here in Internet land would benefit if he got one, too, since he probably has some good information to share.

This kind of techno-babble seems to be a characteristic of CF, though, so maybe it makes sense to those guys, and they're probably the target audience after all.

And just to demonstrate the amount of personal preference in this sort of thing, I will disagree. I dig Kelly's communication style, and have learned an enormous amount from the hours of video he's posted.

one person's "techno-babble" is another person's valuable information.

It's all about personal preference.

^this.

don't go in the pain cave spar.

I am a fan of Kelly's. I agree that his communication style is a little hard to understand, particularly without some know-how, though.

Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    I am a fan of Kelly's. I agree that his communication style is a little hard to understand, particularly without some know-how, though.
    Its not that its hard to understand. It is just a clusterfuck of useless jargon as is his his instruction on deadlift/overpressure.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Its not that its hard to understand. It is just a clusterfuck of useless jargon as is his his instruction on deadlift/overpressure.
    It may be useless for you but I suspect many women could benefit from his deadlift tips here given that hyper-extension is much more likely to be a problem for them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast