Thread: Front Squats in lieu of Back Squats

Default Front Squats in lieu of Back Squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Background:

46 years old.
    220 body weight.

SS for about seven months, then experimented with a couple of different programs (split routine, 5-3-1) and settled on a split along the lines of that described in PPST.

I recently substituted front squats for back squats because of tendonitis that developed in my biceps. It didn’t show up until I was done with SS and had gotten my back squat to a 305# 5 RM. I checked my form carefully. I wasn’t intercepting the weight with my arms. I also tried High Bar without success.

The Question:

What advice do you have for lifters who, for whatever reason, have decided to substitute front squats for back squats? I made the change about six weeks ago and have found there are some pluses as well as drawbacks.

It’s my impression that front squats help strengthen the “core”. I think that might be a bad word here, but that’s my impression. On the downside, it’s obvious that my posterior chain isn’t getting the same work that it did with back squats. So I expect progress on the deadlift to suffer.

Do you think it's advisable to incorporate any additional exercises to compensate for the reduced posterior chain work?

What advice do you have for lifters who, for whatever reason, have decided to substitute front squats for back squats?
    Keep your chest up and your elbows high.

Thanks, I will. I watched your video on front squats and found it very helpful.

I had a follow up question buried in my first post.

Do you think it's advisable to incorporate any additional exercises to compensate for the reduced posterior chain work when subbing front squats for back squats?

I don't think it's advisable to substitute the front squat for the back squat. So use your own judgement on the assistance exercises too.

I value your opinion so I'll try to find some way around the bicep tendonitis that I get with back squats. Thanks for the advice.

This is aimed at an Olympic lifting audience, and I don't want it to start a silly flame war, but I think it's relevant to your question, since he suggests alternatives to back squats, focusing on the front squat. You might find some of his ideas useful:

Link deleted, PM the guy if you want him to see it, and that way no flame war will occur.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 09-13-2011 at 12:12 PM.

I've had this same problem with back squats on a number of occasions. Most of the time my elbows are fine, but it seems to only take a couple reps with mediocre form for my tendonitis to flare up horribly and make lifting excruciating. As useful as the back squat is, these bouts of tendonitis totally destroy my progress in all the lifts. Like the OP, I'm thinking of switching to front squats based on the logic that consistent and less injurious lifting trumps the inclusion of any particular exercise, even one as fundamental as the back squat.

Wouldn't it be better to sort out the grip problem that is causing the tendinitis than to shitcan the most basic exercise in all of barbell training?

Quote Originally Posted by Skander View Post
    This is aimed at an Olympic lifting audience, and I don't want it to start a silly flame war, but I think it's relevant to your question, since he suggests alternatives to back squats, focusing on the front squat. You might find some of his ideas useful:
    Anyone who suggests a way for American weightlifters to keep handling lighter weights is, in my opinion, contributing to the USA's 34th placing at last year's Worlds.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 09-13-2011 at 12:11 PM.

One thing that no one has pointed out is the obvious: we can't see your squat; therefore, we have no way to see what you're doing wrong.

When I'm working with someone with bicep or elbow problems on the squat, the most common thing I find (and this includes myself, as Mark can tell you since I was having problems two weeks ago) is that the trainee is allowing his wrists to bend, which allows weight to be carried by the hands, and also allows the bar to move further down the back, exacerbating the situation. Straighten your wrists out, and grip the bar enough so that it feels like you are rolling it up your back slightly. This, and keeping your elbows and chest up will probably help.

starting strength coach development program
    Personally, I like the cue of pushing the bar down/into myself. Which should be done before the bar is taken out of the rack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast