First Attempt (prior to OEF Deployment):

Bodyweight: 175->198
    Squat: 295x5x3
    Press: 175x5x3
    Deadlift: 375x5x1
    Bench: 235x5x3
    Powerclean: 185x3x5

Second Attempt (post OEF Deployment):

BW: ~175 -> 207 (at my peak, current: 189)
    Squat (worksets): 225 -> 315
    Press: 135 -> 170
    Deadlift: 315 -> 385
    Bench: 205 -> 255
    PC: 185 -> 215

During my move from California to Japan, I lost a whole lot of my progress (I fucked around in the gym occassionally, to try and stall the loss in strength, but I'm still starting from pretty low). I need to train for the CFT, and will take it on 30 Sep. I also want to take my PFT as soon as I can next year (January). The big plan is to have a somewhat periodized training plan that allows for as much strength-centered training during the year as possible with a conditioning focus at the end of the year for the CFT and PFT. I may bug Matt Reynolds a lot for a strongman-type program if I ever end up getting respectably strong.

Goals:

Big and Strong: BW 190-195 < 15%*
    Squat: 405x5
    Press: 200x5
    Deadlift: 500x5
    Bench: 300x5
    PC: 275x3

This log will document my more mixed program for conditioning. I realize that I am not currently strong enough to warrant adopting an intermediate program, but in the interest of incorporating a conditioning focus, I will use a slower strength progression. Chin-ups and Dips will also be treated like primary lifts and the PC will mostly be treated as an assistance exercise for the Deadlift. I borrowed heavily from Wendler's 5/3/1, but I changed some of it, so I concede off the bat that this is NOT 5/3/1 and any failure IS MY OWN FAULT. However, the progression will mirror 5/3/1, using a spreadsheet Ron Hendrix provided me (thanks, Ron). We'll see how this works out. Workout template is:

Monday:

W/u - 5-10 min on bike (lvl 12-15)/rower (lvl 10)

Strength - Squat and Bench
    Asst. - Squat 3x10, DB Row 3xf**

Alt: Chin-ups and Curls/Dips and Tri-cep extensions

Conditioning - Intervals on the treadmill, with the occasional barbell complex and kettlebell work (I don't have a prowler, and shipping to Japan costs more than the prowler itself, I will look into getting tires, and other implements).

Wednesday:

Strength - Deadlift
    Asst. - Powerclean, Abs

Conditioning

Friday:

Strength - Squat (5RM, 3RM, 1RM), Press
    Asst. - Squat 3x10, DB Row 3xf

Conditioning

I will eat enough to make progress, and will consume more on lifting days with most of my carbohydrates PWO. I'm not going to be overly detailed about this unless I start to get fat, or fail to recover adequately.

*(This may be impossible without Vitamin S, which I can't take for contractual reasons, but the numbers are not totally significant here; basically, as big as I can get while remaining fit. I may include a picture; I haven't decided.)

** These are done like "Kroc Rows" but without the hip movement for the most part. Personal preference.

No doubt you are big in Japan. Vitamin S, bah! At your age I have no doubt you can do it on the natch. Program looks good.

Current Training Maxes: (Based on Wendler's Training 1RM Formula)

Squat - 298
    Deadlift - 334
    Bench - 260
    Press - 179

Monday, September 19, 2011

W/u - 6 min Bike, lvl 12

Squat -

w/u - 120x5, 150x5, 180x5
    worksets - 225x5, 240x5, 255x7; Left at least one in the tank. I started lifting a couple weeks ago (a mini-LP) to prevent any crazy DOMS, so I should be ok (we'll see).

Asst. - Squat - 165x10x3 (that's 10 reps for 3 sets across); Will probably go to 175, these were too easy, but I don't want to get greedy.

Bench -

w/u - 105x5, 130x5, 155x5
    worksets - 195x5, 205x5, 220x5; No spotter, lost tightness.

Asst. - DB Rows - 85xfx3 (that's 3 sets to failure, trying to be consistent); 12, 10, 8.

Chins, and conditioning will go just before lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    No doubt you are big in Japan. Vitamin S, bah! At your age I have no doubt you can do it on the natch. Program looks good.
    Thanks, Mark. I just thought I'd throw that in there because I know that someone around here would bust out their calculator and pocket protector to calculate my "natural max potential," I just wanted to be clear that I didn't care quite as much about the exact numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    Thanks, Mark. I just thought I'd throw that in there because I know that someone around here would bust out their calculator and pocket protector to calculate my "natural max potential," I just wanted to be clear that I didn't care quite as much about the exact numbers...
    Short answer, screw them. But you knew that already. Kilgore's charts give you what you need to know poundage wise. There are some online calculators that can add some physical dimensions, but . . .

Does Kilgore have that in his "Anatomy Without a Scalpel" book? I wanna get both that and "FIT," after hearing about them and looking at them on Amazon.

I don't know, but you can check his weight and standards charts out here.

http://killustrated.com/sport-amp-fitness-prints.html

Thanks, again, Mark.

Conditioning, Monday, September 19, 2011

W/u - 5 min jump rope (practicing double unders; I used to be pretty good at them)

Chin-ups:

w/u - BWx5, 25x5
    work sets - 35x5x2, 35x4(f); Too heavy, obviously. I'll try 25 lbs to make sure I have room for progress.

Asst. - Curls - 80xfx3 - 10, 9, 8; I'll stick with 80 until I can do more than 10 for sets across.

Conditioning:

w/u - 2 min @ 3.5 mph, 2 min @ 5.0 mph, 1 min @ 7.0 mph
    work - 6x400 m, rest run time between intervals

Times: 1:36, 1:33, 1:30, 1:28, 1:30, 1:27; The CFT starts with a 800 m run, and I'm working my way back up. Will do 4x800 m on Friday.

BW (PWO) - 189

Good stuff man, I'm in...I'm still trying to figure out what I wanna do for my assitance work. Not sure if "boring but big" is gonna be too much volume, only one way to find out though and that's to do it. My major concern is my mile and half time and losing about 20 pounds before the end of the year. My goal is to be in good shape before I take the PAT for two departments that I'd really like to get on. Any idea what I should to do get my mile and half time down in less than a month?

Default Wednesday, September 21, 2011

starting strength coach development program
    Strength

W/u - 3 min row, 685 m

Deadlift:

w/u - PC 45x5, 95x3, DL 135x5, 170x5, 205x5
    workset - 250x5, 260x5, 285x7

Asst. - PC - 165x3x3; Planning on 8x3. Will finish during lunch before Dips and conditioning.

Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast