starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question, need some ammo

Default Quick question, need some ammo

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Got a discussion tomorrow for a university project and I need some ammo to defend SS. My question is how much would the squat strength of an average, healthy, untrained, say 21 year old female go up after 12 weeks of Doing The Fucking Program? Thanks in advance.

I'd guess about 60 pounds, depending on the obvious variables.

Glad you didn't wear yourself out preparing in advance for that university project! ;-)

What's the project about, anyway?
    Seems odd that you have to defend SS.
    It would probably help if you brought the book: Everything you need to defend it is in it.

Well, it's part of a project. :P Basically we had to analyse this paper (http://www.powerplate-hattingen.de/pdf/studie7.pdf) and I'd like to burn it down. Won't be that difficult.

Huh? He's prepping a whole day in advance! I think that beats my PR by 18hr or so.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBell View Post
    Glad you didn't wear yourself out preparing in advance for that university project! ;-)
    Procrastinators unite tomorrow!

Their first conclusion is that the plate would be useful for rehab and with the elderly who are not attracted to or able to perform standard exercise. So people who can't do the leg press and leg extension, will instead be able to do fucking deep- and one-legged squats on a vibrating plate instead. Right.

Oh, and conclusion number two is a benefit for athletes in a stretch-shortening cycle. I won't even go there.

So the study found that vibrating people made them stronger? I'm going to get vibrated daily. Wait, that didn't sound right.

starting strength coach development program
    Hmm, I guess that study is kind of interesting. So now I know that doing quality unweighted exercises ("squat, deep squat, wide-stance squat,
    one-legged squat, and lunge" I assume by "deep squat" they mean an actual squat) on a vibration plate is just as effective on totally untrained novices as a really, really, crappy strength program.

Nothing less than 10 rep sets on a leg extension and leg press machine? Weak. But my favorite part is this: "After a standardized warming-up consisting of 20-min [emphasis mine] stepping, running, or cycling". lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast