starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crohn's and loss of appetite

Default Crohn's and loss of appetite

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have decided to knock some sense into myself and gain some weight. As you pointed out, weighing in around 140lbs at 5'8 is not doing me any good for training.

I have bought some lactase pills which will arrive in a few weeks, but for the time I have tried to gradually introduce milk into my diet, which has not done me any good. Even with a single cup for the day, it causes me severe diarrhea and stomach aches.

My appetite has been at an all time low for the last month or so, and I blame my condition. Every time I look at food now, it looks depressing and despite my efforts, I always end up eating hardly anything, and it is affecting both my energy levels both outside and within gym.

My question is (which is probably asking ahead but I would like to know) your opinion on consuming maltodextrin with protein several times a day? I will be trying the lactase pills with milk when they arrive, however just in case it does not turn out right...

Try it and see. Duh. Where do you live in the bush where it takes weeks to obtain lactase pills?

I've ordered them from the US, because the cost of the supplements in the US are a fraction of that price compared to what we sell them for in Australia.

Lactase is considered a supplement in Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Lactase is considered a supplement in Australia?
    Pills would be, yeah.

I'd suggest you find another source of lactase, Chalky. You can chuck some into milk and let it do its thing, rather than taking pills.
    Often this has better results than taking the pills.

Chalky, if you have access to Raw milk, you may find that you do fine with it.

Hey chalky I have a similar disease colitis after a year on normal medicine I started to smash up heaps of fish oil, digestive enzymes and probiotics after about 2 months symptoms were gone I had gained about 10 kg. Maybe something to thinkabout if you havent already.

Don't the have lactose reduced milk in australia? We have Lactaid in the US. Tastes a little different but I've got crohn's and I can drink it with minimal issues.

Wow. I decided to not be an ass and google this myself, and discovered Zymil, which has to be the most hilarious milk website ever: http://www.zymil.com.au/

The point is though that you should be able to buy lactose reduced milk even in Australia. Liquid calories are your friend when you have no appetite. Just make sure to eat as much solid food as you can first (eat your meat) so that you take advantage of whatever minimal natural appetite you have. You can always drink another glass of milk even when eating another steak seems harder than a max squat.

I decided to purchase the pills because using the drops, the milk been treated needs to be waited for 24 hours prior to using. However I will try purchasing the drops if the pills don't work.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lactase-D...c#ht_876wt_905

God damn, I'll be paying $30 for a month on lactase drops or even more, considering our dollar value against the US has dropped to a 2 year low.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBell View Post
    Chalky, if you have access to Raw milk, you may find that you do fine with it.
    Because there's no lactose in raw milk, as everybody in Washington State seems to know. We hear this shit every time we're there, and nowhere else seems to believe this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast