starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brooklyn II Recap

Default Brooklyn II Recap

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It doesn’t seem like it’s been five months since we were in Brooklyn last time but I guess that’s how it is when you return to places that feel like home. Paulie and Becca Steinman proved again that South Brooklyn Weightlifting Club is the place to be for serious barbell training with a shit ton of fun. A huge thanks to them for their hospitality and to Jeremy Fisher for his limo service all weekend. We’ll be back this way in April, slots sell fast so don’t delay in signing up.

Brooklyn never disappoints in feeding us and this trip was no different. We enjoyed authentic Greek food, oh shit, hey Paulie don’t forget about the whiting in the fridge. My bad. Rip’s loaded hot dog when he hit town was a precursor to one of the best road meals we’ve had at Korzo. Throughout the weekend we enjoyed deep fried hamburgers, amazing polish sausages and cheese, key lime pies, and pizza night at L&B Spumoni Gardens finished us off on Sunday night with good friends Gillian Ward and WFAC’s own Josh Wells and Shelley Hancock who recently left us for the Big Apple. It was a great time. It was also a treat to have dinner with Spar (we missed you the rest of the weekend,) scroll down for an awesome picture of Spar, Rip, and VXMorpheusxv.

Even with all the good food, we found some time to lift this weekend. As always, it’s fun to meet you forum regulars. Like I said, VX was there along with Michele, Disconnect, Kong, and Vinyardkite. Thanks again to the kite man for making sure our Canadian coach made it past the Key Lime pie joint and found us okay on Friday; VX for all of his hard work and charm; Disconnect for the wildly humorous head bonk; and Kong…well, for being Kong. All of these guys (and gal) were clearly familiar with the teachings, the lifting, and were ready to coach for the weekend. If you know of anyone who could benefit from the seminar, make sure you encourage them to spend some time on the boards so they can see what we’re aboot.

We had some great feedback on the evaluation forms. As is usually the case, some of you want more time. Rip covered this in the Q&A by reminding everyone that most people have real lives that can’t accommodate a 5 day strength seminar. It’s always nice to hear; however; that you guys want more time with Rip and the staff. And to let you know that we do listen when you come up with suggestions, we are giving serious consideration to the orangutan making the journey. However, for the record, I wouldn’t be a fan of regular beat downs of ‘said’ orangutan so you’ll have to meet us halfway on that point.

Overall, you guys were a great group and we appreciate ya’ll coming out. Remember to keep us posted on your coaching and lifting. Wills, you promised to let me know how Pepe’s pizza and The Greek Traverna were, don’t let me down. Again, we’ll be back in April. We’ll see you then!

jp
    Attached Images Attached Images

It was awesome to see you, Rip, and Tom again. I'm sorry I had to miss Sunday, and it's too bad that I didn't get a chance to catch up more with you. I'll make up for that when I come to Texas.

And Paulie and Becca--it was nice to see you guys again, too. I'm going to make good on my threat to come down and train with you guys this fall!

Glad I could help out Julie... Although those frozen Key lime things were ridiculous! I learned a ton and got to hang out with great, like minded people, which is a bonus. If you guys ever want to do a seminar on "island time" shoot me a line

I'll teach you guys to Kite... Just saying

Shawn

Truly a fantastic time. It was an honor to be on the platform with all you guys, and to get to know everyone in attendance. I'm already in the process of convincing a crossfitting friend to attend the April seminar, and with any luck I'll be along as well. If I'm back I hope I get to be in your group at least once, jp ;p

Many thanks!

Are you kidding VX? Next time I'm stealing you on EVERY platform!!!!!

jp

An experience so great I had to come back and do it again. Thanks to Matt and Tom particularly for the reality check on my squat and deadlift; please know you gave me a lot of food for thought and I'm taking your comments seriously.

And what more can be said of Rip. In his wake, a passel of Brooklynites is now walking around affecting Texas accents of highly variable quality. Emphasis on variable.

I had a great time and learned a lot at this seminar. I keep talking about all the stuff I learned to my training partner. He's definitely interested in attending the seminar at some point in the future. We will be definitely making the pilgrimage to SBWC every once in a while to train....and get some t-shirts.

It was great meeting everyone last weekend.

AND...

It was great meeting the Canadian Hammer, Juli.

-KONG

Thanks Kong! Make sure you keep us posted on your progress with Jim Steel, eh?

Sincerely, the Canadian Hammer (NOT a cheerleader!)

jp

Okay, exam's in the aether, my head's still spinning, and I'm ready to lift tomorrow. I'm also glad the windowframe was stronger than my skull (hey, no blood, no foul). It was an incredible amount of information, but in skimming SS and PP to make sure I had things right, I started picking up a lot of little nuances that had slipped by in the past. Thanks to everyone for everything, and I'll definitely keep SBWC in mind if I'm ever going to spend any time in Brooklyn.

starting strength coach development program
    Still eagerly waiting for more photos from the event ;p

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast