starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Speed

Default Squat Speed

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach Rippetoe,
    All my lifts are going up and the program hasn't failed me yet. I heard somewhere that as soon as the speed in squat goes to shit that is when it'll stop going up. I haven't hit a failed sets so far but I can tell when I increase I will fail because every rep is an absolute grind with the last rep feeling like a pure "oh shit" adrenaline rep. What can I do without deloading to help my speed? Maybe a deload is what I need, but I'm only 2 months in and it seems too early. My work sets are only 255 x 3 x 5 and I only weigh 187. Time to eat more?

Inside tip: when you get to the last rep of your 3rd set of 5 at 405 weighing 215, it will feel like shit too. The bar never just floats up after the first couple of months. That's why most people quit. Don't plan to fail, and don't believe everything (need I actually tell you this?) you read on the internet.

RISSLER, i have good news, that wonderful feeling you have after completing your 215 sets and reaching a new PR will also be there when you reach your 405. With time, good planning, and mental toughness you will adapt.

Tis better to reset than to quit.

yeah it is not meant to be easy anymore, gone are the days of happy squatting.

I'm not much farther into SS than you OP. As I recall somewhere in the mid-200 area my 3x5 work sets seemed harder than they did before. They don't get easier. Heavy metal & talking shit to myself has been working and shows no signs of stopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Inside tip: when you get to the last rep of your 3rd set of 5 at 405 weighing 215, it will feel like shit too. The bar never just floats up after the first couple of months. That's why most people quit. Don't plan to fail, and don't believe everything (need I actually tell you this?) you read on the internet.
    Thanks for the quick response and that's some good advice. Squatting is definitely a mental challenge and I can push harder, I just get worried I might snap one day. I'll get used to the grinders though. 3 sets of 405 one day would be glorious.

Important safety tip: If (insert activity here) were easy, then anyone could do (insert activity here). Weightlifting is, in my mind, far and away one of the most demanding sports, but also one of the most rewarding because you know exactly what you've done at all times. And, like all sports, it rewards even the genetically un-gifted if you're willing to work at it and have patience. The wall will break down if hit enough times by the head. But you have to be willing to keep trying.

This is why so many of those gym memberships that were sold on Jan 1 are no longer being used by Feb 1.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 09-29-2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: too damn many commas.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    Important safety tip: If (insert activity here) were easy, then anyone could do (insert activity here). Weightlifting is, in my mind, far and away one of the most demanding sports, but also one of the most rewarding, because you know, exactly what you've done at all times. And, like all sports, it rewards even the genetically un-gifted if you're willing to work at it and have patience. The wall will break down if hit enough times by the head. But you have to be willing to keep trying.

This is why so many of those gym memberships that were sold on Jan 1 are no longer being used by Feb 1.
    I've got to say that Steve in an absolute star. Always enjoy reading his posts, as they hit the nail right on the head.

I say this in the firm belief that he is also a bit mental (similar to Julie when she gets onto the topic of ice hockey).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by fustuarium View Post
    I've got to say that Steve in an absolute star. Always enjoy reading his posts, as they hit the nail right on the head.

I say this in the firm belief that he is also a bit mental (similar to Julie when she gets onto the topic of ice hockey).
    A bit? Hell, Rip thinks I'm strange. That oughta tell you something right there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast