starting strength gym

Thread: Follow up squat form check

Default Follow up squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    this is the follow up to my other video http://startingstrength.com/resource...182#post318182 any advice would be greatly appericated and yes i know the viedo only shows 4 my friend sucks at counting and i am sorry for the black shorts

Thanks in advance everyone

From this angle it looks like the squats are high.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBell View Post
    From this angle it looks like the squats are high.
    +1
    Spread your knees wider and keep your chest up. Keep the weight centered over the midfoot/heel. Are you doing the valsalva? 230 might be a little too much for you sort out form issues with.

Why are you walking out so much?

How high are they, how much lower should they be, and ill try too keep my knees out ive really been focusing on that but i guess not enough and yes i am taking a deep breath for each rep, and 230 isnt really that much i wouldent have a problem dropping some weight to sort out any problems that i might have. and also i walk out so much because i like squatting with out the rack on my sides i feel very confined and also this rack is a little high and narrow so i really pefer to take the extra step back.

Quote Originally Posted by slipshod77 View Post
    +1
    Spread your knees wider and keep your chest up. Keep the weight centered over the midfoot/heel. Are you doing the valsalva? 230 might be a little too much for you sort out form issues with.
    The bar looks like its moving up and down in what looks pretty straight to me, his knees aren't buckling in at all and the knee is over the toes, his chest and hips are rising at an offly close rate....his depth is lacking though (barely) but I don't see how any of the reasons you listed are it...yeah he needs to look down also but nothing you said appears to be the cause...try widening your stance some see what happens.

Edit: try different stance widths sorry
    Last edited by MattJ.D.; 09-28-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ.D. View Post
    The bar looks like its moving up and down in what looks pretty straight to me, his knees aren't buckling in at all and the knee is over the toes, his chest and hips are rising at an offly close rate....his depth is lacking though (barely) but I don't see how any of the reasons you listed are it...yeah he needs to look down also but nothing you said appears to be the cause...try widening your stance some see what happens.
    Sounds like a plan thanks matt

Do you see all the weird slipping and scrunching that goes on with the flesh between your neck and upper back? Keep your chest up and keep your HEAD DOWN.

Other than that, the video is terrible for assessing form. I would advise getting better video from a few different angles as described in the sticky.

Will do spar ill get it on sunday, ill do all 3 from different angles, and i always forget to keep my damn head down i have no idea why. Also @ matt i tried widening my stance today and it made my depth drop even more, is this normal or is it a flexibility issue?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by erk View Post
    Will do spar ill get it on sunday, ill do all 3 from different angles, and i always forget to keep my damn head down i have no idea why. Also @ matt i tried widening my stance today and it made my depth drop even more, is this normal or is it a flexibility issue?
    Didn't read my edit lol sorry XD

try different stance widths