starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BP form check

Default BP form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Purely because I had the camera handy. I think the technique is fine but just in case...

Started filming from set 2.

Body tighter, and arch the chest more--a LOT more.

Also, a safety note: When racking and unracking, never bring the bar to a place where it cannot be caught by the pins unless your arms are locked out. So lock out arms first, THEN start bringing the bar out over your body.

I would echo Spar's comments. You look "relaxed". Before you even un-rack the bar, pull your shoulder blades together, push your feet into the ground, and tighten everything. The kind of tight you're looking for would be similar to preparing yourself to be hit with a 2x4 while you're laying there, but not knowing where it's going to land.

It looks like the bar is travelling forwards a fair bit towards the bottom of the movement (particularly noticeable in the first clip) rather than tracking perfectly vertically. and you could tighten your grip on the bar also to help keep you arms and shoulders tighter and stronger (in the second clip the grip looks a bit loose) and what the others said also, Chest up, squeeze shoulder blades together on the bench under you, abs tight and push your feet into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lench View Post
    It looks like the bar is travelling forwards a fair bit towards the bottom of the movement (particularly noticeable in the first clip) rather than tracking perfectly vertically.
    Most people cannot achieve a perfectly vertical bar path on the bench without endangering their shoulders.

But the path should be closer to vertical than what is seen in the OP's clip. This is achieved through arching the t-spine to lift the chest up.

I think the reason the OP bench doesn't look very good (it's ok, it's just not very good) is because the weight is too low. Were this a more challenging weight, it would force the OP to have more tightness.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    I think the reason the OP bench doesn't look very good (it's ok, it's just not very good) is because the weight is too low. Were this a more challenging weight, it would force the OP to have more tightness.
    Hi all, thanks for the advice. This is 60kg so its not heavy though I struggled with it a week ago I flew through it this session. Will film again once the weight is closer to 100kg. Either way thanks for the advice, its appreciated it.

Quote Originally Posted by solomani View Post
    Hi all, thanks for the advice. This is 60kg so its not heavy though I struggled with it a week ago I flew through it this session. Will film again once the weight is closer to 100kg. Either way thanks for the advice, its appreciated it.
    It might take a while to get to 100kg. Film if you need, I'll do my best to help you.

As usual, thanks Carlos.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi all... I took your advice to heart and forced myself to tighten everything up as much as I could and pump the chest out as high as possible.. Only increased the weight by 2.5kg this work-out from the filmed one but with everything gritted for action I was practically throwing the bar in the air. OK I exaggerate but it was significantly easier to lift the bar when everything was contributing. Thanks for the tips.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast