starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My log and ACL recovery

Default My log and ACL recovery

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So, long time fan and reader. I enjoy basket weaving, poetry, hand moisturizing and eating bacon tripple whoppers for time. Long story short, I had ACL recon. with hamstring autograft and partial lateral meniscectomy to boot. Before surgery I did about a month or so of 5/3/1 and I liked it I suppose and I think I made decent progress. 3 days before surgery I deadlifted 340 for 2 reps. Not a lot but it felt pretty good. After surgery, when I was finally to able to get around some, I was only allowed to leg press and I since I was a little iffy on overhead pressing, I stuck with lots of dips and pullups and some rows. Overall, a pretty gay routine. So about two-ish weeks ago I started the 3x5 after reading SS and practical programming. I won't post what my previous workouts looked like but my last two training days looked as such....

Wednesday,20110928
    Squat 185x3x5
    Bench 175x3x5
    1st set was slow and pretty tough. 2nd set felt better and 3rd was pretty tough as well. It's hard for me to keep my shoulders pinched through an entire set.
    Deads 255x3x5 My shins are notorious for bleeding in the gym.
    I did one set of 5 dips with 20 pounds added but I'm going to cut out weighted accessory since some of the main lifts are getting tougher

Friday,20110930
    Squats 195x3x5
    Need to work on bringing my hips straight in the air. Just feels weird when I'm bent over like that then have to bend straight up to finish the rep. Having trouble making it a fluid motion.

Press 130x2x5,130x1x4
    Very painful 3 sets of overhead. The last set was so tough I almost farted during it. My left should has trouble locking out, like something is pinching. Doesn't hurt now though. I've never struggled that hard during a lift. It felt kind of good but I was kind of sad as well that I couldn't get one more rep.

A set of 9 and a set of 5 BW chinups to finish off the day.

Thankfully a Machu Wok is within walking distance. I kind of go a little crazy on training days, especially on crappy ones, when it comes to food.

2 orders of grilled chicken, an order of beef broccoli, and a large scoop of rice after workout.

Had some peanut butter (natural), a whey shake with 32 oz of milk and a handful of almonds for a snack.

Had some more peanut butter and 32 oz milk for another snack

2 chicken thighs with legs, w/o skin. Large helping of collard greens and some broccoli and an apple for lunch.

Finished it with another half gallon of milk and two scoops of whey just because.
    I don't think I'm going to eat like this every day, I've already gained a little bit of fat than I would like but it is fun. Honestly, I feel like I should have more fat than what my diet protrays but oh well.

So, after two weeks I can tell already that bench and overhead are going to be a real PIA. Hopefully I can get quality rest and quality food over the weekend and maybe I'll be able to press 130x3x5. Thanks for any support and keep up the work.

Welcome SPLCHRIS. Nice log.

Thanks holmes. Looking forward to see where I'll be in a year from now. My knee has been a challenge and it's kind of neat to work around. Definitely new.

Don't know my body weight but last time I got weighed was before surgery and I had ABU pants steel toed boots so they subtracted 5 lbs. I'm probably past 200 now, at 76".

Did quite a bit of stretching at work today. Diligently working my hamstrings with a broomstick feels good and releases some tension. I think I'm going to keep the squat weight the same since part of my hamstring is pretty sore from surgery.

MONDAY,20111003
    Deadlift 265x1x5
    Squat 195x1x5
    Chins 8,6,5

Not another good day in the gym. I wanted to do squats first but the rack was taken so I started off with deadlifts. I wanted to do bench after deads but that was also taken so I did squats but my hamstring was feeling tight and a little weird so I only did one set of the same weight I did last time. When it came time to do get on the bench it was almost time to go to work so I did chinups instead. I might get on the bench press later today even though the chinups/dips and deadlifts did a good number on my arms.

At least I ate well. Almost too well. I've ate an ugodly amount of food the last three days. It always happens whenever we have a potluck dinner with leftovers.
    Last edited by SPLCHRIS; 10-05-2011 at 02:35 PM.

WEDNESDAY, 20111005
    Squats 205x3x5
    Press 135x2x5,1x4, had to push press the last rep of the last set. Way easier than last weeks even though this was heavier. I think I would have got it if I didn't pause on the lockout on some of the reps. A PR nonetheless.
    Dips BW+45x1x2, BWx1x12, BWx1x10 Attempted a set with a 45 lb plate but could only manage two reps. Oops.

Time to get a large lunch.

FRIDAY, 20111007
    Squats 215x3x5
    Bench 180x3x5
    Deadlift 275x1x5

Everything went pretty smoothly, minus the lowe left back/inner butt cheek pain that I get everytime I squat. Kind of annoying and sometimes feels like a pinched nerve. Bench press went well even though I still can't seem to keep my shoulders pinched together. I think I was getting tired towards the end of the training day, deadlifts felt unusually heavy but my form felt good. Finished it off with only a single set of 8 chinups since I had I was pressed for time. Chinese food and eggs followed soon after. Looking forward to Monday to tackle the press head on.

My leg/hamstring hurts. Just saying.

MONDAY, 20111010
    Squats 225x3x5
    Press 140x2x5, 140x1x4
    Dips 8,7

Squats went well. This is the most weight since my surgery and everything felt good. I go as low as I can and I have a good rhythm going. Overhead was pretty rough but I don't think it warrants a deload just yet. Some of the reps were pretty crappy which resulted in wasted energy. After the work sets, I dropped to 115 to work on form and even that felt heavy. At least I got a good work out. Still had some shoulder pain when trying to lock out but it should go away. Finished it off with some body weight dips but only 2 sets. I had some crappy Chinese food and now finishing off a very large whey shake.

starting strength coach development program
    WEDNESDAY, 20111012
    Squats 225x1x5, 235x2x5
    Bench 185x3x5
    Deadlift 285x1x5
    Chinups 7,5,4

This was a pretty good day. I only got about 4ish hours of sleep so I doubled up on the coffee before hitting the gym. I guess as long as I wasn't tired throughout the day then I got enough rest? This is the most weight I've ever bench pressed and I also got props for my squat depth. I pretty much eat like a monster on workout days and it's working so far.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast