starting strength gym

Thread: Do you think this dual-leg amputee with bionic limbs could squat?

Default Do you think this dual-leg amputee with bionic limbs could squat?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

The video is pretty inspiring as to what this dual-lower leg amputee been able to achieve with technology.

The video link goes to the part of the video where he reveals his bionic legs. This link takes you to that part of the video where he removes his bionic limbs.

From a biomechanics perspective, Mark, do you think it would be feasible for him to squat with that degree of amputation and those prosthetics?

It appears to me that he has designed his replacement limbs to run, not squat. Running is easier biomechanically than squatting, so I suspect he can't with this hardware.

That's pretty cool. Thanks for posting. I recently started working with a single leg amputee and the first order of business was to get her squatting. When she started 3 weeks ago I asked he if she could squat and she could not. My first try coaching her fell a long way from anything that would resemble a squat. She could only squat about 6-8 inches before she lost all balance (been an amputee for 20 years). This video was from last Thursday after 3 solid weeks of coaching. After mastering the knees out position or active hip she is on her way to a low bar back squat. It is my mission to get her squatting with a bar on her back.

We are using the ball at the moment only to give her something to try to lower to very slowly. Last week she was able to squat without the safety net of the ball but another week or so and we will eliminate it completely.

Anyway, I'm learning as much as we go as she is and it's been a pretty good experience for both of us so far.

Good work. Your challenge will be to keep her using her right hamstrings and hip extensors, and to produce a reasonable degree of symmetry so that her back stays healthy. She will teach you many things.