starting strength gym

Thread: Atlanta SS Squat Camp Recap

Default Atlanta SS Squat Camp Recap

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    We had a great camp in the ATL this past Sunday, with folks coming from all over the metro area, North Carolina, and someone even flew in all the way from Florida (and it's a good thing we were squatting, 'cause BOY his arms were tired!) to spend five hours squatting, talking about squatting, and squatting. Since this was my first Camp that I've coached, all of the faces (except TBone) were new to me, and it was nice meeting all of you!

The day started off with come classroom time discussing the basic mechanics of the low bar back squat, and why we select it as our squat of choice. After about an hour, we then moved to the gym for three hours of squatting. Everyone got to do two empty-bar sets, three warm-up sets, and three work sets while receiving coaching. All the participants got to see the Starting Strength model in action over several different types of anthropometry, with plenty of Q&A whenever something unusual cropped up under the bar - and even with only eight people, we still managed to find (and fix!) a pretty good amount of unusual.

Some of the trainees only needed minor tweaks, while others overcame significant issues by the end of the day. And everyone took home things to work on, and things to avoid when they returned to their home gyms to train. That's the most satisfying things as a coach - to see your lifters improve in the course of a few short hours.

After camp we had a nice relaxing (and seated) dinner at Longhorn, with some great food and a lively discussion on many topics, some of them weightlifting related.

Thank you to everyone who attended. To repeat, if you have any additional questions, you all have my e-mail, and should feel free to use it at any time if you have some additional questions. And don't forget to write up a review - we want your feedback!

Thanks to Josh, Tamara, Matt, Todd, Damion, Ted, Jason and Cal for coming! And finally, a big thanks to our friends at AK CrossFit. Heidi and Ali have a great facility, and the location very central to the city made it easy for everyone to get there.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 10-03-2011 at 09:02 PM.