starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M'shizzle's quest for strength

Default M'shizzle's quest for strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

I have been working out in a CrossFit gym for a year and a half, with the last 14 weeks been 100% devoted to strength. I am nursing a rib injury right now, but before that, my lifts were as below (showing progress from the start to my injury)

Progress so far:
    July 4/September 28 (some lifts I didn't do right from the start, etc. PC)
    Back Squat: 135x5x3/220x3x1
    Bench Press: 82.5x5x3/96.2x5x5 or 101.2x4x1
    Deadlift: 215x5x1/225x5x3 or 265x1x1
    Strict Press: 65x5x3 or 80x1x1/70x5x5 or 83.6x1x1
    Power Clean: 93x3x5/118/3x5

I'm pretty proud of my progress over the short time, but want so much more from myself. Due to my injury, I've decided to do a huge reset, to allow me to still train, but to recover as well.

October 22nd I'll be doing a CrossFit total (Squat, Press, Dead), with the goal of:
    Squat: 230, Press: 85, Dead: 285

Given my training this past week or so hasn't been fantastic due to the injury, I'll be happy with anything, since it will be better than my old Total of 190, 77.5, 235.

I think I would like to do a PL comp at some point, but I need to lose a bit of weight/fat and get even stronger. Unfortunately, I'm currently sitting at the bottom of the second highest weight class, so I need to fix that!

Anyway, that's my blurb. I have some great SS coaches at my gym, but I love talking to people about their training experiences and hearing comments about mine.

Cheers!

Today's training: HUGE resest, easy lifts

Back Squat: 160x5x3
    Bench: 85x5x3
    Pendlay Row: 65x8x3
    Chin ups: don't wanna talk about it

Metcon:21-15-9 KBS (1p)/box jumps (16")-->4:05

No rib issues during any of the moments, which is great. Weights were super light, but at least I was able to move. Could be worse...I could be couch-bound

Rib is feeling pretty awesome today! Had a great iron session too.

Back Squat: 170x5x3 (new PR for reps/sets)
    Press: 71.2x5x3
    Deadlift: 225x5x1

BTW, I'm a female, 5'10", 30 years old

I LOVE working out in the AM. When I lived closer to the gym, I did it often. I miss it and can't wait until I can do it more frequently. Armed with coffee, BCAA's, raw milk and water, I did the following at the crack of dawn:

Back Squat: 175x5x3
    Press: 75x3, 77.5x3, 80x1 (was going for a 3RM)

Chin ups were done yesterday with a thick purple band ( ) 10 sets of 3. My rib hurt a bit after that, so I'm glad I am being conservative. I used to be able to do bodyweight dead hangs no problem...its amazing how much the core is involved with chins.

Rib had no pain this AM, until after squatting. Unfortunately my belt hits right at the rib that is having the issue. All in all, its recovering well.

Off to Muskoka this weekend to help close down a cottage, see Matt Good in concert (its been years, its going to feel like a time warp) and eat lots of thanksgiving grub!

Happy thanksgiving all!

Quote Originally Posted by mshizzleceba View Post
    BTW, I'm a female, 5'10", 30 years old
    OK, that explains the relatively light presses. (The female part, not the 5'10" part.) It's good to have you here.

And what's with you Canucks having Thanksgiving in the wrong month?

Quote Originally Posted by bob g View Post
    OK, that explains the relatively light presses. (The female part, not the 5'10" part.) It's good to have you here.

And what's with you Canucks having Thanksgiving in the wrong month?
    Yeah, my presses suuuuck. I think the height may have something to do with it too...longer path for the weight to travel and all

Haha, maybe the Americans got it wrong

Back Squat: 180x5x3
    Press: 72.4x4, 72.4x3, 72.4x3 (boo)
    Deadlift: 235x5x1

Decent session, other than press. Also my belt sits in a bad place while I lift and it bothers my rib. I started wearing it looser and it still provides support, without bugging me too much.

This is my last regular workout before my "big" crossfit total. Thursday will be a bunch of heavy singles...WHOO!

Its so frustrating that my rib is still causing issues...I cannot do a deadhang chin for the life of me! I used to be able to do several singles. Its like the strength is totally gone from that area. I did some band-assisted chins yesterday and it aggrevated it. GRRRR...After my total, I'm taking 2 weeks off of chin ups, doing maintenance lifts and resting. I will be on vacation for one of those weeks. Then its time to start a cutting diet to hopefully reveal some of this muscle I have been building Likely my chin up will be back after some more rest and lightening up my ass!!!

starting strength coach development program
    Today's lifting session was to be 5 sets of heavy singles of squat, press and deadlift. My rib was still bugging me a bit and my legs were still tired from Tuesday's session. I normally have 3 full days between a volume day and an effort day. So my squats were challenging. I dropped the weight a bit and tested out the rails for the squat rack...they add a lot of confidence to heavy squatting!

Back Squat: 220x0 (FAIL!), 205x1, 205x1, 205x1, 205x1, 205x1
    Press: 80x1, 80x1, 80x1, 80x1, 80x1 (pumped!)
    Deadlift: DNF; didn't want to mess up the rib!

I will have 3 days of no lifting, while I am working with Sweaty Bands at the Scotiabank expo in Toronto. That ought to tire the legs out even more

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast