starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin less fat and throwing farther

Default Gettin less fat and throwing farther

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Decided to finally start a log here so I can look at my progress in a few monthes. Main goals are to get stronger so that I can throw good for track & field in the spring, and be less gelatinous and gross to myself. I haven't done any organized lifting before this, only grazing mindlessly on machines, with the exception of about 3 months of weightlifting with my high school football team. I really want to be able to throw far because the people who hold the current records for our school are also the new volunteer coaches for it and they are complete douche bags. I want to choke them but I'd rather embarrass them.
    Info: Age: 16 years
    Height: 6' 0"
    Weight: 230 lb
    BF%: too much, no calipers to check

Not sure what my current maxes are but I'll be updating this each workout with what I did that day. I started about a month ago with the PP novice program but I changed last week to the original novice program, as they are titled in the SS spreadsheet so that I would have powercleans in it.

Wednesday 5 October 2011
    Squat

[200] 3x5/5/5: Done, a good bit harder than usual but done.

Bench

[130] 3x5/5/4: About the same difficulty as usual. I'm thinking about keeping the same weight next time because I got 5,5,4 the same as last week with 125# but I added more this time anyways. Maybe I won't though because I was doing bad overall today.

Deadlift

[240] 1x5: Incredibly harder than last week. Barely got it off the ground for my first rep because it was unusually difficult.

Squats and Deadlift were harder than usual today, probably because I only got 6 hours of sleep last night and didn't eat enough good food yesterday. More junk than I usually eat. I'll probably try and get someone to film me for a squat form check soon.
    Last edited by tehmuffinman; 12-02-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Friday 7 October 2011
    Squat

[205] 3x5/5/5: Done, same as usual.

Press

[105] 5x3/3/3/3/3: 3 easily done each set but at the end of each of them it felt like 4 would be impossible. Found out after them all that I had the bar unbalanced by 2.5lb, not sure how i managed to do so.

Powerclean

[115] 3x5/5/5: Easy cheesy. Going to go up 10 lb next time since I started too low.

Much better than last time, still need to clean up my diet a bit better and I think a multivitamin would be helpful in some ways.
    Last edited by tehmuffinman; 10-07-2011 at 11:38 AM.

If you want to clean up your diet I highly recommend Paleo. It's basically meat and veggies. The book to start with is Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution. If you want a multivitamin, I'm a huge fan of Athletic Greens. The website: www.athleticgreens.com is really cheesy, but there powder is the best place to get the majority of your nutrients in a daily form. Much better than any multivitamin. Also, fish oil capsules would be good as well. Cheers and good luck - Nick

Monday 10 October 2011

Squat

[210] 3x5/5/5 Done and done.

Bench

[135] 3x5/5/4 Not going to go up 5lb on Friday.

Deadlift

[255] 1x5 Done fine, had to squeeze myself into a tight area to do it but I got all 5 done.

@Nrhanson: Unfortunately I'm 16 and so live at home where my Mom does most of the shopping so I can't really decide that we will be eating healthy. I just do my best to go with her to the store and encourage her to not buy things like cookies and non-refridgerated, pre-cooked, bacon. As for the Athletic Greens, it looks good but I won't be able to afford it until I find a part time job. Thanks for the recommendations though.

Yeah, I couldn't have afforded that if I was your age. Another thought might be to eat more eggs. Eggs tend to be very cheap, especially compared to the nutrition they provide. You could hardboil a bunch and have them as snacks.

Wednesday 12 October 2011
    Squat

[215] 3x5/5/5: Not bad. Breathing stupid and started getting some tunnel vision in the last set.

Press

[115] 5x3/3/2/2/2: Cheated on the 3rd rep for the last 3 sets. Bad day for pressing. I think I was supposed to be at 110 actually, not sure why I wrote 115 down for today. That may be a good explanation for it.

Powerclean

[125] 3x5/5/5: Done, not too hard. Continuing at 5# increases now to make sure I don't wreck my form.

Friday 14 October 2011

Squat

[220] 3x5/5/5 Done and done. Slight tunnel vision.

Bench

[135] 3x5/5/5 Not bad.

Deadlift

[270] 1x5 Grip is starting to be an issue. Need to work on proper form more.

Thinking I will reread SS to make sure I'm not doing stuff wrong.

I noticed that you said you were into throwing. Have you checked out Dan John's website? Even if you don't follow any of his programs, he might have some info that will be of use to throwing.

Are you doing 5 sets of 3 for your presses?

Don't worry about the double overhand deadlift grip, switch to mixed/hook when you need to. Most people start switching at around that weight as well (I did).

starting strength coach development program
    @yorick: I have not but I'll check it out. www.danjohn.net that would be?

@skipbeat: I have been having tons of trouble with presses so yes I've been doing 5x3 (setsxreps). Would it be better to go down weight and do 3x5? I don't think I can do 3x5 with current weight.

Monday 17 October 2011
    Squat
    [225] 3x5/5/5: Done.

Press
    [110] 5x3/2/3/3/3: Barely made it with the 1st,3rd,4th,5th, failed it up on 2nd.

Powerclean
    [130] 3x5/5/5: Done, not too hard.
    ------------------------------------------

Wednesday 19 October 2011
    Squat
    [230] 3x5/5/5 Done fine.

Bench
    [140] 3x5/4/5: On the last rep of the second set I was at a stand still on the up and some tard took that opportunity to run over to spot but I yelled out: "DONT TOUCH IT!" and he didn't but when I yelled that my form fell apart and then I actually needed the spot. I saw him eying me, just waiting to come to my rescue. I'm disappointed that I gave him the satisfaction.

Deadlift
    [285] 1x5 Pretty hard, grip was slipping so used chalk and that fixed that but it was overall extremely hard to get up even with good grip.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast