starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeffs' Olympic Weightlifting log

Default Jeffs' Olympic Weightlifting log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everyone!

Got kicked out of stronglifts like everyone else, so I decided to keep my log here instead.

Stats:
    BW: 78.5kg

Snatch: 90kg (85 in compo)
    Power Snatch: 70kg
    Power Clean and Jerk: 100kg (same in compo)
    Clean and Jerk: at least 95kg, haven't tried anything higher
    Jerk from rack: 115kg
    Back Squat: 125kg
    Front Squat: 100kg
    Deadlift: 150kg
    Bench Press: 120kg
    OHP: I want to say 75kg, but that was probably with a little jump, so I'm gonna say 70kg, which I've done for 2 reps
    Pull ups: 45kg attached

Strengths:
    Upper body strength, explosive movements

Weaknesses:
    Leg strength, leg strength, leg strength

Goals:
    I've got lots of goals, but a 200kg total in the olympic lifts is probably the biggest one right now. I'd also like to press 80kg.

I could also mention that training has been quite sporadic the last 6 months, as I pulled (or something) a muscle in my thigh. I'm all better now though, and I'm pretty much back where I left off.

Time to get started!

Workout yesterday:
    Squat:
    1x4 90kg
    1x4 100kg
    1x8 95kg
    1x8 70kg

OHP:
    1x5 55kg
    2x5 60kg

Barbell rows:
    3x5 65kg

Workout today (By the way, I always write set x reps):
    Clean and jerk:
    1x2 80kg
    1x1 85kg, 90kg
    2x2 80kg
    1x2 85kg
    1x5 70kg

Power clean and jerk:
    1x1 80, 85, 90, 95kg

"Clean" deadlift:
    1x4 100, 110kg
    3x4 120kg

Squat:
    3x10 70kg

Sunday:
    Went bouldering for 2 hours, and then a little strength after.

Bench press:
    1x3 90kg
    2x8 80kg

Pull downs (machine):
    Up to 130kg. Did mostly 4 rep sets.

Yesterday:
    Snatch:
    Up to 75kg. Did a lot of reps in the 60-70 area + a quick set of 4 power snatches at 60kg

Squat:
    1x4 90kg
    1x3 100kg
    2x3 105kg

Back after two weeks of vacation in Japan. Starting out slow.

Snatch:
    4x4 50kg

C&J:
    4x4 60kg

Squat:
    4x4 80kg

Yesterday:
    Snatch:
    4x4 55kg

C&J:
    4x4 65kg

Squat:
    4x4 85kg

What is your reasoning for doing 4x4 sets for snatch and clean and jerk? Are you following a template or programming for yourself?

I'm programming for myself right now. I do 4x4 because then I get more practice on technique than with fewer reps. It's also because I'm starting light after the vacation (I also did the same thing when I started out after the summer). When 4x4 becomes too tough I switch to 4x3. Then 4x2. And by that point it becomes too hard to do both snatch and c&j in the same workout, so I start doing some assistance instead. Though the main idea in my "program" right now is to do only the basic stuff like full snatch, full c&j and squat. I did too much power cleans before, so I can lift more in the power clean than in the full clean. In addition, by doing only the basic exercises, my weaknesses appear automatically, and I can pick the necessary assistance based on that, and not just do something random.

After christmas I'm probably going to look into something a bit more structured though.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffs View Post
    I'm programming for myself right now. I do 4x4 because then I get more practice on technique than with fewer reps. It's also because I'm starting light after the vacation (I also did the same thing when I started out after the summer). When 4x4 becomes too tough I switch to 4x3. Then 4x2. And by that point it becomes too hard to do both snatch and c&j in the same workout, so I start doing some assistance instead. Though the main idea in my "program" right now is to do only the basic stuff like full snatch, full c&j and squat. I did too much power cleans before, so I can lift more in the power clean than in the full clean. In addition, by doing only the basic exercises, my weaknesses appear automatically, and I can pick the necessary assistance based on that, and not just do something random.

After christmas I'm probably going to look into something a bit more structured though.
    Gotcha. I just don't find sets of 4 useful at all. I usually don't find sets of 3 useful either unless it is a complex of some sort. After two reps, my explosiveness is so diminished that I end up doing things that I wouldn't normally do, so it's not really beneficial to my technique. It's much better for me to do singles and doubles at a lighter weight.

My programming is almost all singles and doubles with some sets of 4 on squats and front squats. Usually those are warmup sets or back off sets, though.

starting strength coach development program
    I see what you're saying. It's pretty hard to keep up technique with 4 reps, even at lower weights. In the past I've also mostly done doubles and singles. However, I think it's good to practice the lifts when tired also, at least once in a while. It forces you to put in an effort. Plus, in my case I needed to shake things up a little

Thanks for stopping by by the way

Todays workout:
    Snatch:
    4x4 60kg

C&J:
    4x4 70kg

Squat:
    4x4 90kg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast