starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand and wrist position on bar during squat

Default Hand and wrist position on bar during squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    When I squat, my wrists keep rolling under the bar and taking a lot of the load. After squatting, my wrists are sore and so are my shoulders. I have tried to correct by rolling my wrists back to straight and 'pulling' the bar onto my back as shown in SS, but the bar just slides down and I don't feel like I have any control. I see this as becoming an issue as my arms and shoulder joints are getting more sore than my legs or glutes.

Tips to solve this?

Palms on top of bar, pressing down on bar. Weight fundamentally balanced on traps without your arms taking any of the load.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TICjXVC_aos

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1512 View Post
    Tips to solve this?
    Video would be helpful, since it would give us a chance to see whether you're doing anything that is obviously wrong.

Yeah I know, but I don't have a video camera and I train by myself so video prob aint happening
    Based off that awesome video though, I have the bar much, much lower which could be why. I have mirrors around me in the gym and sometimes I shoot glances into the side mirrors to check depth and form and I notice that after unracking and stepping back, if I look, the bar is not on my traps but lower. I had read that was correct for low bar, but now I'm not sure. I have tried with the bar higher at the base of my neck/trap area, but it doesn't feel comfortable either (as comfortable as a weighted bar can get I suppose). When I try and have my palms pulling down on the bar, I feel like I need to lean forward to keep it there...

Yeah I know, but I don't have a video camera and I train by myself so video prob aint happening
    Based off that awesome video though, I have the bar much, much lower which could be why. I have mirrors around me in the gym and sometimes I shoot glances into the side mirrors to check depth and form and I notice that after unracking and stepping back, if I look, the bar is not on my traps but lower. I had read that was correct for low bar, but now I'm not sure. I have tried with the bar higher at the base of my neck/trap area, but it doesn't feel comfortable either (as comfortable as a weighted bar can get I suppose). When I try and have my palms pulling down on the bar, I feel like I need to lean forward to keep it there...
    It should be on your anterior delts.

When you say on, you mean just under the traps on the join where my shoulders are? God I need a coach...

Based off that awesome video though, I have the bar much, much lower which could be why.
    Don't go by that awesome video. While it is awesome for other reasons, it doesn't actually show the bar position that Rip teaches. Also, the palms are not actually "pressing down on" the bar, and the bar should not be "on your traps". WatsupHannity needs to read the book.

See this image?

At bottom right, you can see where the spine of the scapula creates a groove between the traps and the delts. The bar will go in that groove. You should be able to feel it if you tighten your upper back properly. Whether you are doing that correctly I can't say. Pull your shoulder blades together, get under the bar, and lift your elbows up. This should tighten everything up so that you can get a feel for where the bar should go, but some people aren't very good at this.

I am tightening my upper back in the mirror mimmicking how I do when I squat and there is no obvious line or groove. I can sort of feel where you mean but there sure as hell ain't no groove. Maybe I am doing it wrong or lack sufficient rear delt musclulature for it to be obvious. I have kinda self diagnosed my deltoids as being bad as I have significant front delt hypertrophy from benching and dips but there is nothing at the back apart from bone until right in the middle (I also have a lot of problems with right shoulder pain between the shoulder blade and middle of my back about halfway down the shoulder blade.
    And I thought in SS, Rip states that the hands should be pulling the bar into the back...

I am tightening my upper back in the mirror mimmicking how I do when I squat and there is no obvious line or groove. I can sort of feel where you mean but there sure as hell ain't no groove. Maybe I am doing it wrong or lack sufficient rear delt musclulature for it to be obvious. I have kinda self diagnosed my deltoids as being bad as I have significant front delt hypertrophy from benching and dips but there is nothing at the back apart from bone until right in the middle (I also have a lot of problems with right shoulder pain between the shoulder blade and middle of my back about halfway down the shoulder blade.
    And I thought in SS, Rip states that the hands should be pulling the bar into the back...
    As spar said, we need a photo/video. Find a way, we can't help you by description only. You obviously have not put the bar ever where it should be, so you are not aware of the proper position. And disregard WatsupHannity's video for this time.

starting strength coach development program
    So you are retracting your scapulas AND upping your elbows? If you are doing this there's no way you can't find a place where the bar sits well, like in a shelf.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast