starting strength gym

Thread: Going from 135 to an adult male

Default Going from 135 to an adult male

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey everybody. I started this program 9 weeks ago (1 workout into week 10). I've liked to run for a while, but the 'sport' side of things was pretty boring for me. I decided during college I would join the rugby team. I was alright at tackle football in 7th grade and really like the violent aspects of it. However, at 18 and 135 there was no way I could play. After toying with Crossfit for a week, I found Starting Strength by listening to Robb Wolf and decided to put off rugby 1 year until I was as big and strong as I could be.

Stats
    5'11 --> 5'11
    18 years old --> 18 years old + 10 weeks
    135 lbs --> 180. Goal is 200 by the end of this year
    Sq. --> 65 lbs --> 210/190
    DL --> 65 --> 200
    Bench --> 65 --> 120
    Press --> 45 --> 90
    PC --> 45 --> 120

Week 8 I did 210 on the squat, failed every rep. Realized it was a form issue, dropped weight fixed form now I'm at a strong 190 as of 10 October 2011.

Week 4 I started using 2.5 jumps on the bench, week 6 I stopped at 100 and starting using 5 again. That lasted until week 9.

Starting 2.5 jumps on the Press on Week 4, no change.

Week 8 I changed programming to Onus Wunsler. Doing about 3-4 jumping chin-ups with maybe 1 real one.

I started weaker than most people here but my actual gains are consistent with my time doing the program. Hopefully I can finish the program with weights around what other, stronger people finished with. I'm fine with it taking longer.
    Last edited by Timothy; 10-12-2011 at 08:57 PM.

10/12/11

Last monday I failed my Press at 92.5 with 5/5/4 reps. Hitting sleep hard with 8-9 hours and eating like never before.

Today
    --
    Squatted 195 without trouble, much better with improved form. At 200, I was driving my hip up then doing a good morning. Wasn't fun

Benched 122.5, failed with 5/3/1. Will attempt the same weight next 2 benching workouts as per the book's recommendation.

No trouble with Back extensions. 5 x 10 at BW +10

Chins, 3/3/3. Last chin day they were 4/4/4 with 1 real one each set. Today there was 1 real one all together. Maybe the bench killed me?

Good day all together. I try to take failures like Quarterbacks do; acknowledge, correct, and stay focused.

Nice, good to see a true skinny guy getting into the program. At your age and weight I hope you're going all out on the food side of things!

And don't hesitate to post some form checks if you're sketchy about something. Lets see some big gains here!

This friday or next I think I'll have the opportunity to record my Deadlift and squat.

Thanks for the encouragement, I definitely eat until I'm pretty uncomfortable every meal.