starting strength gym

Thread: Hotel recommendations for Dalls/Fort Worth

Default Hotel recommendations for Dalls/Fort Worth

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,

I'm planning to visit the US to attend the SS Seminar in December in Wichita Falls. I will be arriving a few days earlier in Dallas and wanted to ask you, if anyone can recommend an affordable hotel, inn or B&B in Dallas / Fort Worth.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

With best regards
    Thomas

I would probably recommend staying in Fort Worth, preferably in the Downtown area. Much friendlier area (especially on foot) than about anywhere in Dallas. I'm not sure what you consider affordable, but it looks like there are several hotels which have rooms starting at about $180.00. With a bit more searching, I would think you could get something a little more affordable in that area. You can walk from just about any hotel downtown to a good number of great restaurants. If you rent a car and venture out, many other good things such as museums are 10-15 mins away. If you are from out of the country, Amon Carter is a must see for Western Art. The stockyards (more cowboy stuff including Billy Bobs) are also only 10 mins away. Downtown would also let you enjoy an adult bev. if you so chose, without having to get out in a car. You can probably find a La Quinta, Hamptons, Motel 6 etc., out on a freeway for a bit less.

http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/

Wichita is just a straight shot out of Fort Worth up Hwy 287. It's about 120 miles or two hours.
    Last edited by Marlin; 10-20-2011 at 09:15 PM.

I live in the north suburbs of Dallas, and I' I prefer Dallas to Ft Worth. Are there particular things you are wanting to see or do while you're here? In Dallas you can stay further out and take the train into downtown to go to museums etc. which is nice.

Thanks folks for all the recommendations.
    @melody: So far I don't really know what's awaiting me in Texas. I'll just browse the internet for good places to visit. A friend of mine was also suggesting a visit to Austin. I haven't really made my mind up yet, I can interest myself in a lot of different things...
    Local live music and local food is usually a winner.
    @Marlin: Yes, I will be renting a car, as I've heard it's quite hard to get around without one. There also seem to be some nice lakes in the vicinity, which are always nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Rohner View Post
    Thanks folks for all the recommendations.
    @melody: So far I don't really know what's awaiting me in Texas. I'll just browse the internet for good places to visit. A friend of mine was also suggesting a visit to Austin. I haven't really made my mind up yet, I can interest myself in a lot of different things...
    Local live music and local food is usually a winner.
    @Marlin: Yes, I will be renting a car, as I've heard it's quite hard to get around without one. There also seem to be some nice lakes in the vicinity, which are always nice.
    The lakes are man made, don't come here for the nature.
    Austin is fabulous and will have more music and food than you know what to do with. It is also super affordable to stay at any hotel off of highway 35.

I don't think there is much in Ft. Worth besides the downtown area, which is just walking and seeing restaurants, shops, etc. Stockyards are good for about a night of doing the same. I'd say stay in Dallas. You can take the TRE to Ft. Worth one night and check stuff out. At least in Dallas you can use DART rails to get around somewhat. I personally think the whole area only offers a couple big malls. I say head to Austin instead.

I live in Ft. Worth. I'd LOVE to go to a seminar, but I can't afford them. Went to a camp on deadlift squat and bench awhile back. Hopefully they'll have something again soon that I can afford. If you want some specific things to do let me know and I'll ask my friend...she is the Queen of Dallas and can direct you to whatever you'd like. Email me if you want at cheath@unt.edu

Thanks for all the tips.
    I made up my mind. I'll stay two nights in Dallas, two nights in Austin in four nights in Wichita Falls. Found some nice B&B in Dallas and Austin, and with the rental car I should be able to reach the good spots.
    @melody: Yes I noticed, at least some renewable energy gets harvested :-)
    @cheath: You've got mail.
    REALLY looking forward to get to the States, only 3.5 weeks to go!

starting strength coach development program
    When you get to Austin, go here: http://www.gourdoughs.com/

You're welcome.

See you at the seminar.