starting strength gym

Thread: Starting to lift with tibial stress fracture

Default Starting to lift with tibial stress fracture

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My plan for this year was to bulk up, but I ended up doing Ironman Hawaii instead. (I finished strong and had an awesome experience.) I went into the race with a shin injury, and I'm now taking two months with no weight-bearing exercise to let it heal. I tried to squat and deadlift a week after the race, but my shin was throbbing afterwards. Should I resume weighlifting doing just non-weightbearing lifts (bench, seated shoulder press, chins) while I wait for my leg to heal, or will I waste by "newbie gains" and should just do bodyweight exercises to maintain strength until my leg heals and I can do the Starting Strength plan exactly as written? Thanks.

Where is the fracture?

Inner side of my left tibia, about 1/3 of the way up from the ankle. I actually did squat and deadlift on it last week. It didn't cause any pain while doing the lifts, but I definitely felt it afterwards and figure I'm better off letting it heal completely rather than continuing to aggravate it.

You wouldn't approve anyway, but my understanding is that leg presses, leg extension or hamstring curls aren't any easier on a tibial stress fracture because the issue is not axial loading (i.e., direct force straight towards the ground, such as the pounding while running) but rather bending, caused either by the calf muscle exerting force on the lower leg (as in a squat or toe extension while running) or by bending the leg directly (as would occur in a leg extension or hamstring curl machine).

And I assume it was diagnosed with conventional x-ray. It will heal if you squat on it, eat enough, and don't run.