starting strength gym

Thread: Do or do not... there is no try. RBockman's Training Log

Default Do or do not... there is no try. RBockman's Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been doing the Starting Strength Novice program for the last five weeks. Decided to start this log in an attempt to make my goals a little more public, and find some encouragement and tips from others who may have similar goals.

About Me:
    38 y/o
    6'0"
    228 lbs (started the program at 210)
    Work in Mgmt consulting; occasional crazy hours and unexpected commitments
    Father of two boys (ages 5 & 3)

I found Starting Strength earlier in the year by accident thru a Google search and blog posting from someone doing the program. Since then, I have read the book, purchased and watched the SS DVD, and also read PPST. I'm seriously considering doing one of the seminars in the near future to get some feedback on form/technique.

My progress to date is as follows:

Sept 12, 2011:
    Squat - 150 lbs
    Press - 75
    Deadlift - 185
    Bench - 120

Oct 17, 2011:
    Squat - 230 lbs
    Press - 100
    Deadlift - 280
    Bench - 155

I workout three days a week. Which days of the week can vary, but I always allow at least 48 hours of rest btw workouts. At this point in the program, the lifts are starting to get difficult. Bar speed is slowing down considerably, and its tough to squeeze out those last few reps. But I haven't had that feeling yet that I'm going to fail to make the reps. I think I have quite a bit left if I can stay the course for a while longer.

I've set some specific goals that I'd like to achieve in the next 6-12 months:
    Squat - 365 lbs
    Press - 160
    Deadlift - 455
    Bench - 275

Why those #'s? Fair question... they are somewhat arbitrary, but I read an interesting blog post that inspired me to at least pick some numbers. Probably most important, I believe these are achievable. I'm not exactly sure what I want to get out of this journey other than improving health and fighting off the effects of middle age. I'm having fun with it. When I exceed these numbers, I'll reevaluate.

10/19/2011

Squat: 185 lbs x 5 x 3 (Light squat today)
    Bench: 155 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 280 x 5 x 1

DB Military Press: 20 lbs x 10 x 5
    Chin Ups: BW-130 x 3 x 3 (Really, really hate these)
    Tricep Pushdowns: 35 x 10 x 3

Felt really good today! I was a little nervous about the 280 deadlift, having failed the last rep at that weight on Monday. But pulled all 5 reps without any issues today, and probably could have done a few more (but didn't). I think the light squat day left me with more energy to take on the deadlift.

Mon., 10/24

BW: 228.4 lbs

Squat: 235 x 5 x 3. (+5 lb increment)
    Bench: 160 x 5 x 3. (+5 lb increment)
    Back Ext: BW x 10 x 3
    Chin-ups: BW-130 x 3 x 3

The last couple of reps in each squat/bench set were tough, but still had plenty left to grind em out.

Wed., 10/26

Squat: 190 lbs x 5 x 3 (80% light day)
    Press: 105 x 5 x 3 (+5 lbs)
    Deadlift: 290 x 5 x 1 (+10 lbs)

Hamstrings are really sore today. Probably from the back extns that I did on Mon.

Press was tough. I don't think 5 lb jumps are going to be possible going fwd. Will switch to 2.5 lbs next wkout.

Everything else went up just fine. Really looking fwd to going for 300 lbs in the deadlift next week. Kind of a milestone in my mind to finally cross that threshhold with one of my lifts.
    Last edited by Rbrockman; 10-26-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Sun., 10/30

Squat: 240 lbs (+5 lb jump) x 5 x 3
    Bench: 165 (+5 lb jump) x 5 x 3
    Chins: bw-130 x 3 x 3
    Back Exts: bw x 10 x 3
    Squat: 135 x 8 x 2 (did a few light sets to focus on form and low bar posn)

Should have done this workout on Fri, but couldn't get to the gym until this AM. At least I felt well rested!

I've been doing high bar squats until fairly recently. I'm slowly making the switch to a low bar. It makes a very noticable difference in how the weight feels in my legs. The low bar posn is just a little harder for me to get comfortable with on my shoulders/back.

Wed., 11/2

Squat: 245 lbs (+5 lb jump) x 5 x 3
    Press: 107.5 (+2.5 lb jump) x 5,5,4

Crappy workout today. Had to make myself even go to the gym. Momma said there'd be days like this...

Missed my last rep on the press. Had to push press it up. Will stay at that weight for next time.

starting strength coach development program
    Sat., 11/5

Squat: 200 lbs x 5 x 3 (80% light day)
    Bench: 170 x 5,3,3 (+5 lbs) FAIL
    Deadlift: 300 x 3 x 1 (+10 lbs) FAIL
    Situps: BW x 10 x 3

So I didn't make all the reps today. I need to start taking smaller jumps. Otherwise, felt very good. I didn't do the program this week. Need to get back on track and stick to the plan.