starting strength gym

Thread: Medium day for Intermediate Trainee

Default Medium day for Intermediate Trainee

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

I've posted this stuff in Programming thread, which was probably wrong. Could you please take a look?

Hi,

could it be said, that the medium day is mainly "neurological" day, be it TM, DE or Starr's?
    So I mean here: the tonnage is not high enough to induce so much fatigue it would influence the recovery for the microcycle, but the load (mean to create muscle tension) is heavy, even could be heavier than on heavy day (overload event).

If I am right, how could I control fatigue build-up if using multiple sets on Starr model? Not just dumb using the card from Dr. Stone's book... RPEs?

Thank you and best regards
    Thank you in advance

I'm not completely sure I understand your question, but I think you're wrong. Medium day is a deload so that recovery can occur.

I agree it is deload in the sense of general load placed on the body (tonnage). Hence it is not adaptation driver - the heavy day is. But it looks like the barbell's weight is heavier this day (Starr - doing tripples on medium day or Texas, where 5RM day plays this role I would say).

For post-intermediate trainee, when doing reps maxes each week could be counterproductive (I take it as given - weights are too high, specific recuperation from max work takes longer than a week): would it make sense to do 5x5 or similar volume work with weights around 75-80% 1RM on Monday (main goal - collect tonnage to drive adaptation) and doing e.g. 3x3 with 87-90% across (or ~5 singles with 90-92%) on Friday (goal - not to detrain from max weights, using less tonnage to recuperate to some extent)?

The difference from the classic Texas Method is not using Friday training as a gauge of progress. We do use big weights, but not max up.
    Weight progression could be made be-weekly or monthly after volume deload.

I consider singles, doubles, or a triple on Friday to be TM.

have I gotten it right: submaximal triples, doubles and singles, not necessarilly3RM, 2RM or 1RM?

What volume / intensity to mention? 3x3, 3x2 and 5x1 on appr 90% corresponding X-RM?

starting strength coach development program
    No, I mean a heavy effort. Obviously, if the doubles are 3 sets across they are not 2RMs. But they are higher intensity than the 5s because the reps are lower, heavier than 90%.