starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Dead check. How am I doing?

Default Squat and Dead check. How am I doing?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Squat, 2 of 3 working sets at 82.5kg x 5. side and front view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj7kJY_E2_Q

my lower back still comes out of extension a little bit but its better than it was. anything else i can improve?

Aaaaand

Deadlift. 90kg front, 110kg side, 125kg x 5 working set, side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IvuJyrqPHo

Is my back angle too steep? I recently altered it because it was horizontal before. Anything i can change to make it better?

Also the camera stopped videoing after the 4th rep on the last set. The last rep is still part of the same set, it only took a few seconds to get the camera going again.
    Last edited by Big Lench; 10-22-2011 at 03:32 AM.

From what i can see, your squat looks descent. Knees are moving slightly forward. Chest up, knees out, tight, tight, tight...hips back and drive them up from the bottom.

Deadlift looks fine too me, but maybe someone else can give you some pointers there.

When you can, get a belt and WL shoes.
    Last edited by Cambero; 10-22-2011 at 01:57 PM.

You are correct that your back is rounding and your knees are coming forward at the bottom. In general, you must stay tighter. Also check out the sticky on filming form checks.

For your deads, you start with your shoulders too far back and with too vertical of a back angle. Do not allow the bar to move when you do your setup and make sure your shins are an inch away from the bar when you are standing in front of it. You also do a slight hitch on the way up where you slightly rebend your knees near the top of the lift. Break yourself of that habit.

Well surprise surprise i've been getting some lower back and knee pain.

The knee sliding forward is the biggest problem for me as it is causing me knee pain and i don't have good knees at the best of times, and being a basketball player my knees take a beating from that too and i need them to be as healthy as possible. how should i go about fixing the knees sliding forward? should i focus on really shoving me knees out HARD and once my knees are set focus on shoving my butt back too?

As for the low back rounding i've reduced it even more by really squeezing it hard on the way down. however there is still a minute bit of flexion remaining. Im hoping this will go once i fix my knees sliding forward at the bottom.

Will doing those things help fix my problems?
    Last edited by Big Lench; 10-27-2011 at 04:09 PM.