starting strength gym

Thread: Kerosene's log - from spaghetti to meatloaf

Default Kerosene's log - from spaghetti to meatloaf

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been lurking and reading here for quite a while. Have the book (SS) and the DVD. Might as well start a log here - I have on at Ironstrong too.

The background shit is semi-relevant but ended up so long that nobody will care enough.

Age 34 - somewhat active in teens and did some bench stuff etc at 14-16yo. My bench max at 16 was 92.5kg - hoping to beat that soon...

Fast forward a decade or two. Extreme form of rat race with brutal hours in college and same show even worse in working life. 2008 our regular routine of 2 overnighters/week resulted in herniated disc. All in all pretty sedimentary lifestyle since 1996 to 2010. 2000 was break as I did compulsory military service in Finland - did some random shit and of course bench (my PR 105kg is from that year).

2010 tried to get started on SL 5x5 - started a few times but not very consistently. Always letting work come on the way. 2011 sping got actual consistent stretch of a few months and got up to 190lb squat before break.

So work got overly busy jada jada. Now have about a month back and really trying to set better priorities in my life.

10/28/2011
    SQ 5x5x 195 lb (actually 6,5,5,5,5 by mistake)
    DL 1x5x 195 lb
    OHP 3x5x 105 lb (meant to do 5x5 but gym closed and I would have failed)

Basically doing still SL 5x5 except instead of rows starting to leanr cleans 5x3

I officially either set or am passing my squat PR ever (any reps). It felt awfully heavy today. And my form wasn't as locked and solid as last time. Bummer. Took videos - link at the bottom.
    On Deads I think my form was better but still lower back is quite rounded - I cannot see how I could keept it flat without dropping my but more. Already today I allowed it a little bit more after seeing my warmup sets roundnes. Something else had changed too though as the bar didn't quite drag my shins as steadily as last time. I did have a scab and band-aid but I think t was geometry - not me avoiding the contact.
    I was very toast today - and it all took forever. Once I got to OHP I was tired and running late - it felt pretty light actually but on 3rd set my last rep was so so. I was rushing with the rest time though. Not too worried about it going next time. I had shitty sleep so it might have been a factor.

The big question here is. I am starting to get in my real limit range on squat. I am not in huge rush and woudl rather have slower gains than stall early. I am thinking that I will go to 2.5lb steps once I hit 200 or 205 (original plan was bw,215). Or maybe do it so that the day after long break gets 5 lb raise and others 2.5 lb raise.

I would like to go a little further but I also see 3x5 in the horizon. I am already skipping on my pull ups etc. way too often because my sessions run long.

Squats 5th set
    http://www.youtube.c...5Z7OLr0#t=1m45s

Deads work set (3 min 33s) - (I supposedly corrected after 1st warmup - video kind of blow too). Form is better but lower back is round.
    http://www.youtube.c...5Z7OLr0#t=3m33s

shortcut to Presses (4 min 14 sec) I think presses are 'ok' except the elbows need to point radically more forward.
    http://www.youtube.c...5Z7OLr0#t=4m14s

10/29/2011

SQT

3x5x200lbs

bench
    5x5x155lbs

Power cleans
    3x5x105lbs

Squats. I was quite horrified of my video check last time. Did lot of lumbar stretching and activation. Bad news it didn't hold - on last 2 sets I came off from extension. Good news I can clearly feel when it happens.
    I will deload to 185 or 180 and prescribe supermen/belly down leg raises. Also my last set was in many ways much better (except last rep) - thanks to wider stance. I do have a little funky proportions so I think its an OK thing to do and definitely feels right. The biggest enemy to my squat is my off lifting posture and endless sitting. After all the stretching and concentrating on back extension my head is pushing through the headliner the sheetmetal of the roof of my toyota "truck". On 'normal' days I have plenty room which means slouching.

Bench - felt very solid. zero issues here.

Cleans are still very ugly - no point even posting videos. I can feel a good rep here and there so I think I can do better on my own.

In case I am guilty of YNDTP I am trying to add a fatty kind of yogurts as snacks (300Kcal each) and be more religous about snacks mid-day at work. Generally my eating is pretty good. oatmeal with 2 scoops of whey and one scoop of hemp and egg for breakfast. Some basic food for lunch (meat and potatoes style) more or less same for dinner. Protein with milk before or after lunch depending how my day goes. at least 2 fruits per day and try to get vegetables in too. All my pasta and bread are whole grain.

Supplement side: creatine, multi-vitamin, udo's oil (omega 3,6,9), magnesium/zinc tab, vitamin C.

dimensions: 6'4" /192 cm and 217lb / 98kg
    Last edited by kerosene; 10-29-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: eating info

11/01/2011

Squat

5x5x175lbs (Deloaded)

Deadlift
    1x5x205lbs

OHP
    5x5x105lbs

Chins 2x5 @40lbs assist

Well I deloaded my squats in search for lumbar extension and in general better form. I think the search can be considered somewhat successful but once I climb up again we'll see. Basically I think accepting my dimensions is a must and just accept being slightly more upright. Thoracic extension stayed very well too.

Deadlifts were horribly heavy but here especially I think my technique was much much better. Will deload here too and catch the squats at 185. Just playing it safe as my back has given a few warnings. I think I will come back with better form and more solid path to success.

Press was success considering last time I failed at 3x5 - I think I was able to incorporate the form suggestions pretty well too. (elbows more forward, more back lean, more explosion, more rigid suporting body).

11/3/2011

SQT
    5x5x180lbs

BP
    5x5x160lbs

Trunkated session got to the gym so late. Squat form felt good. bench felt great. Weight keeps going up yet feels about the same. Well a little heavier but I don't think stalling quite yet.

Cool log, keep up the good work.

thanks devilbones!

today's tally:

11/5/2011

Squat

3x5x185 lbs

OHP

5,5,4 x110 lbs

DL
    1x5 x185lbs

Felt like a good session until at home I realized that I was supposed to press 115 and actually had done OHP at 110 successfully and now failed at it. BS!

Oh well - really wonder if my head played a big part in it.

also went to 3x5... ss forums wore me down...

11/8/2011

squat
    3x5x190 lbs

bench
    3x5x165,
    1x1x185
    1x1x205 (93kg)

power clean
    5x3x95lbs

I am LIKING the break that 3x5 gives me! 190 squats felt rigid and good form. Deloading did good.
    But the real news was bench. As I did only 3 sets wanted to try 1rm or at least tease it. Threw in 185 BOOM! felt like nothing I had even asked a person to spot me. Then 205 BOOM!! (2 excalamations). Didn't try more but it was easy. That means that I have re-think my end of year goal as I reached it already (92.5kg my 1rm at 16 yrs).

I was happy camper at that. I am sure it was easy as it is the one and only lift I ever was decent at earlier in my life and actually have strong form in it. Anyway Extremely surprised that 205 was easy - had to count the weights 3 times.

Cleans seemed to make some sense too so will start racking more on those from here on.

11/11/11

Squat
    3x5x195lbs

Deadlift

1x5x195lbs

OHP
    3x5x110lbs

Pretty ok workout - though I hate mornings as I run out of steam and get nauseous. Anyways - Squat was a little meh - from the hole I had tendency to go into a good morning. Not badly but still annoying. Back is staying extended which is good.

OHP was a pass - I narrowed my grip a notch and tried to get more layback. Just ok. No revelations there.
    DL was good. Didn't pay attention to my lower back on work set but it felt far more balanced and solid than ever before. Pretty sure the back was staying in extension.
    Last edited by kerosene; 11-11-2011 at 04:46 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    11/15/2011

squat
    3x5x200 lbs

bench

3x5x170 lbs

power clean

5x3x105 lbs

Squat is back at 200 lbs - and this time it feels solid. So full steam ahead. Will take new videos soon too to see where I am at form-wise.

Power cleans are poop. Think I need to film em too - at least for myself.