starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Yet Overloaded

Default Not Yet Overloaded

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I've been messing around with SS for a couple of years now and have seen pretty good strength gains, but I've never pushed myself hard enough and done what was necessary to become an intermediate trainee.

I'm almost 30, 6', 213 lb

Best maxes:

Squat: 335 3 x 5
    Bench: 235 3 x 5
    Deadlift: 365 3 x 5
    Press: 140 3 x 5
    PC: 185 3 x 5

Yesterday's workout was:

Squat 315 3 x 5
    Press: 137.5
    PC: 175 3 x 5

I play basketball once a week and soccer once a week. I have a hard time getting enough food and enough sleep. Those are the two points I have to improve.

I hurt my elbow benching the other day and it's been bugging me. I have a small chunk of shoulder flesh missing from low bar squatting with the bar too low and it tore a piece of flesh out when it moved on my back. Overall, I'm not too badly dinged up.

I take creatine and a multi. I have 1.125 lb plates and I like long walks on the beach and shear-moment diagrams. Okay, enough of that. I'll post after my next workout which will be on Wednesday.

Oh, UNC-Charlotte will have a football team beginning 2013. I've been toying with the idea of trying out for the team because I have four years of eligibility left and I am a 2nd degree student there. I am not sure if I would get eaten alive or not.

Well, a lifting log works much better if you fill it out after a workout.

I posted this log last Sunday. I had to skip Wednesday's workout due to lack of sleep on Tuesday (gf bought tickets to West Side Story). I worked out on Friday after a week of little sleep and food and did:

Squat 315 3 x 5
    Bench 225 3 x 5
    Deadlift 340 3 x 5
    BB Curls 75 3 x 8

The weight felt light, it wasn't even that hard which surprised me. Maybe I need to be building more rest between my workouts.

I also lifted yesterday and did

Squat 320 3 x 5
    Press 140 1 x 5, 1 x 3, 1 x 4 95 lb explosive 1 x 5
    Powerclean 180 3 x 5

I quit after PC because my elbo was bothering me. I failed on pressing, I got a little out of position on the 2nd set. My powerclean wasn't great either, I didn't keep my butt high enough in the air so I wasn't fully set. Not a great workout, but ok. The weights felt heavier than they did on Friday. I'll be back at it on Wednesday.

good luck mate, and i doubt you'd get eaten alive in football if you push yourself on SS. just reverse powerclean the linemen into the floor!

11/10 Thursday workout:

Squat 3 x 5 325
    Bench 3 x 5 227.5
    Deadlift 3 x 5 345
    BB Curls 3 x 5 85

Not a bad workout. I have gone to 2x a week because I seem to need an extra day of recovery to make progress. Maybe it is time for TM after all. My deadlift mechanics are still not quite right. I need a bit more work on it. I'll be back at it on Sunday after BB on Saturday.

So instead of 2x a week I am doing TM. Reading PP is usually a good idea.

Overall plan is:

Day 1 Volume Squat 5x5 Bench 5x5 Deadlift 1x5
    Day 3 Recovery Front Squat 2x5 Press 3x5 Powerclean 3 x 5
    Day 5 Heavy Squat 1x1-3 Bench 1x1-3 Deadlift 1x1-3

I will work in some arm work on Heavy day.

This past Sunday's workout was:
    Squat 300 5x5 Bench 200 3x5 Deadlift 315 1x5

I'll be back at it tonight.

11/15 workout

Day 3 Recovery

Front Squat 185 2 x 5
    Press 140 2 x 5
    Powerclean 165 2x5 1 x 3

This was a quick workout before a soccer game. The front squat was fine, but I am not very practiced with it and my wrist position is poor. I also wasn't quite upright enough. After another week or two I will be good to go on FS.

Press was ugly, I did it but I didn't do the torso back and forward thing very well. My spine did not like me very much.

Powerclean was semi ugly. I have poor hamstring flexibility and I have a hard time keeping my body behind the bar (I'm too far forward) and keeping my butt in the air and lifting my chest. The first set was ugly, the second set was better, and the 3rd set kind of sucked again. I think I'm going to do 3 x 3 on the power clean on recovery day.

Oh, and I sucked at soccer. I had no touch and I am out of shape. I stood around and tackled people when they came near me. On the short field we play 7 v 7 on a goal kick I can get the ball to go over the goal on the other side.

11/17 workout (Day 3, Heavy):

Squat 335 1 x 3
    Bench 235 1 x 3
    Deadlift 365 1 x 3 315 1 x 3
    BB Curls 1 x 8 75 lb
    Dips 1 x 8 BW

Not a bad workout, but it could have been better. Somehow I have kept my old bad habits around. On the squat I tend to go a bit too far forward and not sit back in the hole. I also have some trouble keeping my lower back tight and my chest up. The deadlifting was ugly, I did 315 and focused on keeping my *** higher in the air and it made a big difference in the efficiency of the lift and the amount of work my spinal erectors did.

Thoughts on the first week of TM:

It was overall quite good. I think I used too much weight on the squat for the 5 x 5, I'll drop it a bit next week and focus on keeping my form tight. I need to keep my hips higher in the deadlift and power clean starting position. I like the variety in the workouts, I hadn't realized how monotonous my workouts had become trying to do 3 x 5 on 3 exercises every time with a bit more weight.

Well, I was tired as all get out yesterday but I had a great workout.

11/20/2011 Sun Volume
    Squat 300 5 x 5
    Bench 205 5 x 5
    Deadlift 335 1 x 5

The squat was good, I didn't have any of last week's problems of not sitting back into it. The skin wound on my shoulder has healed. I repeated the weight from last week because I didn't feel like I really did it last week. I really did it this week.

Bench was no issue. Deadlift was better, but not quite perfect. I could've done a bit more weight, but that will come. Today is a rest day, and then Tuesday is the light day. I may do the heavy workout on Wednesday instead of Thursday to get a workout in before heading to the parents house for Thanksgiving.

11/22/2011 Tuesday Light
    Front Squat 190 2 x 5
    Press 142.5 2 x 4, 95 lb 1 x 5
    Power Clean 170 lb 1 x 5, 2 x 3

The squat was fine, I got stuck on the press.
    Power Clean was ok, I'm going to stick with triples b/c my form breaks down if I do 5's.

I then played in a soccer game that started at 9:30 last night. Blah.

So now I have to decide if I try a heavy workout today when I am exhausted before I go home for Thanksgiving, or if I skip the heavy workout. I'm leaning towards skip, I think it would be counterproductive.

starting strength coach development program
    I really have got to put my password to the forum on my home desktop, it is annoying to only be able to log in on the work machine.

I skipped last week's heavy workout due to Thanksgiving. I did a lot of eating, and then some sprints on Saturday 11/26. I strained my hamstring on the 12th sprint up the hill. Booo.

I was able to lift yesterday though, but I couldn't deadlift.

11/27/2011 Sunday Volume
    Squat 305 5 x 5
    Benchpress 210 5 x 5
    Rack pulls 385 1 x 5

The squat was ok, but I was too far knees forward on the last set. The hamstring bothered me a bit but it wasn't really painful. Bench was fine, and I did rack pulls instead of deadlifts because the hammy wouldn't allow me to get in the deadlift starting position.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast