starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check. Coach said its bad form.

Default Squat form check. Coach said its bad form.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

At my college weight lifting class, all of the coaches there said my squat form is horrible and I am gonna injure my lower back sooner or later. Was wondering whats wrong? They recommend me to do high bar squat instead due to the way I am built. So if I switch to high bar squat, do I need to drop the weights down a bit or do I keep my working weight? Thank you very much.
    Last edited by melonious; 11-03-2011 at 12:31 PM.

I think you should read the sticky at the top of this forum so that we could say more about your squat. As of right now, we can't really see what is going on. I can say from looking at the video that your spine does not appear to be in any kind of serious flexion. That's a good thing. Of course, a better video would allow for a more useful critique.

Read the book

Your squat form is not "horrible". But it isn't good. Yes, you probably will eventually hurt your back in some way, maybe when the weight gets closer to 200. But that doesn't say much, since almost everyone will face some kind of back injury at some point even if their form is good.

I wouldn't listen to your coaches if they suggest you change to a high bar squat "due to the way you're built". There is absolutely nothing unusual about the way you are built, nothing that would prevent you from effectively using the low bar squat. So, they don't know what they're talking about, my opinion.

The most important thing you need to do to fix how you squat, is to keep your back (your lower and middle back to be specific) in extension, as you reach the bottom position. If you don't know what that means or how to do it, then you have some reading to do. You then have to maintain that extension as you squat back up from the bottom.

Your grip is also not good, but that is second on the priority list.

I'd switch do HB aswell, but not because you are 'built for it'.
    You can keep the weight the same. For example, I can HB squat more than LB. So can everyone else then after some time.

Quote Originally Posted by IndividualThoughtPatterns View Post
    You can keep the weight the same. For example, I can HB squat more than LB. So can everyone else then after some time.
    This was amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by IndividualThoughtPatterns View Post
    I would be shocked if this were true. It really makes no physical sense at all.

Maybe individualthoughtpatterns was joking? Get someone to hold the camera for you and get a better video. Although I doubt you will be able to convince your teachers of anything "new" you should review the talking points of HB vs LB.

I'll be in the minority here, but you should listen to your coaches. In-person coaching is infinitely superior to anything you'll get over the internet. After you get some experience with correct HB squats, you'll be much better able to judge your LB technique, if you want to switch to LB.

That's assuming the coach is competent, of course.

starting strength coach development program
    If the coach is competent, sure.

I can't see well, the plates cover the view.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast