starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat and front squat form check

Default Squat and front squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm taking advantage of my deload week to clean up my technique a little bit, so here's a some squats at 225. I'm mostly interested in cleaning up my squats, but I threw a set of front squats in too for shits and giggles. They look mostly OK to me, but I'd appreciate any criticism. The meaner, the better.

Squat:

Front Squat:

Knees sliding forward at the bottom, perhaps indicative of losing tightness in the hamstrings.

I've been noticing that and wondering what was causing it. This is probably why my knee is feeling a little iffy lately, too.

Thanks, I'll set to fixing it.

That looks like one hell of a gym.

It looks like you roll on to the front of your foot on both the front and back squat (which might explain why your knees go forward, I used to do something similar).
    Try to focus on pushing off your heels out of the bottom,
    that can help balance the application of force properly through your foot.
    Last edited by animus; 11-02-2011 at 06:11 PM.

This is an annoying problem.

Here's me with a real load. It looks like the knees sliding forward problem is a bit better, but still not fixed by any means. Has anyone here had the same problem and fixed it? Rip talks about it and some tricks to cure it on pg 45-8 of SSBBT2, so I'll try what he says, e.g. trying to touch a block of wood with my knee but not knock it over.

Last edited by Mark Edward; 11-14-2011 at 12:52 PM.

yep, try TUBOW.

also try thinking about "keeping the ass back" as you come out of the hole (still maintain hip drive though)

you can also visualize tightening the hamstrings, like really really tight.

I used a TUBOW for a while today, and then did this set. Ignore the first rep; it sucks. My knees appear much more stable on the rest of the reps. Are they stable enough? Also, the depth looks questionable on a few of them.

Last edited by Mark Edward; 11-16-2011 at 01:12 PM.

I'm no expert and still learning so take what I say with a grain of salt. I also have problems with knees traveling forward at the bottom and if you compare the position of your knees to the squat rack, you can see that your knees are moving forward at the bottom of your reps. The two things that are working for me are to lift my toes a bit as I am starting to squat, and then concentrating on pushing the hip drive through my heels. You might try that, but your mileage may vary.

Sunil

starting strength coach development program
    Have you ever done full cleans? If so, you'll know that the front squats should be done all the way to the bottom, as in ATG.

In your back squat videos, you need to do a better job of keeping your lower back tight in extension, and get your ass down a little deeper into the hole. You may need to go slower as you get close to the bottom in order to feel it out. Keep your chest up while you do this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast