starting strength gym

Thread: Squat - Form check

Default Squat - Form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi there.

I taped 2 sets of my last workout. My BW is 101 kg at the moment and there is 102.5 kg on the bar. First video is the first working set. I can see I round my lower back. In second video is the second working set and it seems I shift my knees too forward. I would appreciate if someone can comment on the form and perhaps spot something I missed and most importantly give me some advice how to remedy my form.

Many thanks,

Dusan

Well, im not an expert, but ill throw my two cents in here.

The squats look fine to me, but if you want to nit-pick there's a few things. You may might be going lower than you need to which can lead to that lumbar flexion you see in vid #1. As for knees sliding forward, if you're concerned about it then focusing on pushing the knees out can be beneficial. Your stance might also be a bit wide, but there's no point changing it if it seems to be working for you. As for the lower back rounding, using the forum search function for the unfortunate term 'butt wink' will give your answer about that.

If any of the more experienced guys have anything to add or correct, please do.

You are going too low. Cut your depth off and drive your knees out a little more and your back rounding problems should go away. Your knees are not coming forward at the bottom either, so you are fine in that regard. Look downward. All else is in good shape. Based on how fast the bar is moving, I think you have plenty of progress ahead. Thank you also for providing useful video angles. If only everyone did the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Thank you also for providing useful video angles. If only everyone did the same.
    Added props for trimming the video. Much as I like to watch people walk from the camera to the rack and back, my boss would prefer I was working on my real job.

Thanks everyone for comments. I cut my depth and was working on looking downward. Still can't get into my head "knees out!" when I drive up. Will have to cue myself next time. Anyway here are follow up vids from today. Sorry for blurred side view vid.

starting strength coach development program
    You're fine now. Turn your toes out just a bit more, and really jam your knees out HARD, and KEEP them out, and you'll be great. This will clean up that little bit on knee instability at the bottom.