starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carlos's Doggcrapp training log

Default Carlos's Doggcrapp training log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Since my meet was cancelled I wanted to try something different. I remember reading about this routine called Doggcrapp training (catchy name, huh?) a while ago, so I decided to give it a try. It's a bodybuilding/powerbuilding routine, which revolves around low-volume/high-intensity trainig, with a rest-paused set in most exercises.

Here's how it works

Workout A

Chest
    Shoulders
    Triceps
    Back width
    Back thickness

Workout B
    Biceps
    Forearms
    Calves
    Hamstrings
    Quads

You're supposed to pick 3 exercises for each muscle group (say, 3 for chest, 3 for biceps etc...) and each workout you do one of those exercises. On most muscle groups, you do the set with rest-pause in the following way. You want to have in total 11-15 reps. So you take the barbell (suppose you're doing BB bench press), do as many reps as possible, with a controlled (but not super slow) descent, until failure. Then you rack the bar, take 10-15 deep breaths. Take the bar again, and go to failure one more time. 10-15 breaths and then squeeze your last reps. So, basically, you take the exercise to failure three times. Not all exercises are rest-paused: quads, back thickness (mostly deadlift variations), forearms and calves are done with more normal methods. The key, as in every decent training routine, is to beat your logbook: every time you come back to an exercise, you try to beat the reps or increase the weight. It is recommended that one does what is called "extreme stretching" after each exercise.

I'll do this for at least two months, until next year's powerlifting calendar is published by my fed.
    Last edited by Carlos Daniel; 11-05-2011 at 11:10 PM.

I already did two workouts but really just testing the waters so far, trying to see how things work. Got some serious soreness in the chest and biceps and a fair amount on the triceps.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    I already did two workouts but really just testing the waters so far, trying to see how things work. Got some serious soreness in the chest and biceps and a fair amount on the triceps.
    Yes, but what did you do????

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Yes, but what did you do????
    Laziness precludes further information.

I will probably run DC at some point myself, so don't take this the wrong way--but how does one come up with three exercises for calves?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronan the Barbarian View Post
    I will probably run DC at some point myself, so don't take this the wrong way--but how does one come up with three exercises for calves?
    Seated calf raises
    Standing calf raises
    calf raises done in a leg press machine

You sorta have to be creative about it.

If that's creative, you should take an art class lol.

What is the difference between back width and back thickness? slightly confused.. barbell row vs wide grip pull ups?

I'm in for the interest in "powerbuilding" for when the time comes

Quote Originally Posted by skipbeat View Post
    If that's creative, you should take an art class lol.

What is the difference between back width and back thickness? slightly confused.. barbell row vs wide grip pull ups?

I'm in for the interest in "powerbuilding" for when the time comes
    I think back thickness is deadlifts ( traps, spinal erectors) back width is pullups, lat pulldowns (lats, teres, posterior delts).

I'm still trying to figure out how to find 3 compound movements for shoulders. For me shoulders= OHP and that's it.

Probably a good excuse to fuck around with some dumbbells and arnold style pressing IMO. Also, didn't read they have to be compound in original post.. do you think the shoulder raises actually do anything with such light weight?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by skipbeat View Post
    Probably a good excuse to fuck around with some dumbbells and arnold style pressing IMO. Also, didn't read they have to be compound in original post.. do you think the shoulder raises actually do anything with such light weight?
    It is recommended that the exercises be compound. It's hard to do rest-pause with isolation exercises, with side raises it would become a form disaster. Side raises never did anything for me. I'm planning on using these two machines we have at the gym, both plate loaded so I can increase in 5 lbs increments.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast