starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron Virgin: My journey into barbell medicine

Default Iron Virgin: My journey into barbell medicine (lbs)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey everybody, short-time lurker, even shorter-time poster here.

Starting Stats (11/9/2011): 5'9" - 22 years old
    Last updated 12/14

• Body Weight - 148lbs @ 8% BMI, now 165lbs (+17lbs)
    • Squat 5RM - 135lbs, now 225lbs (+90 lbs)
    • Bench 5RM - 85lbs, now 150lbs (+65 lbs)
    • Press 5RM - 45lbs, now 95lbs (+50 lbs)
    • Deadlift 5RM - 95lbs, now 205lbs (+110 lbs)
    • Powerclean 3RM - 75lbs, now 95lbs (+20 lbs)
    • Supinated pull-ups - 8/6/4, now 8/6/6 (+0/0/2)

Background information:
    I recently starting doing jujutsu, realized what an asset weight-training would be. I'm not competitive, so no need to worry about weight classes. I joined a lifting class at my university to learn the ropes and did some half-assed routine for the last couple of months based off of reading Stronglifts, Starting Strength with liberal bodyweight exercises. Decided to get more serious about lifting and started pure "Starting Strength" on 11/30.

I am a bicycle commuter and generally log about 40 hilly miles (complete with books/work clothes) a week going to/from work and the university, which is also my gym. I also do martial arts 2 nights a week, soon to be 3 when school lets out in December. I'm doing a 3/4 GOMAD, with room for improvement depending on how groceries are (see the part where I bicycle commute, going to and fro with a few gallons in my backpack is a hassle). I cook all my meals and have bumped up my caloric intake significantly, though I've never limited myself in eating habits previously.

Current Goals:
    I've always been a smaller, skinnier guy. I'd like to be able to handle some more weight and bulk up quite significantly for martial arts. More functional strength in my day-to-day lifestyle is, of course, a plus.
    • Short-term: Reach 170lbs BW, Bench BW, Press plates (135lbs), Squat 1.8BW
    • Long-term: Press BW, Bench 1.5BW, Reach 180lbs BW
    • Longer-term: Press 200lbs, Squat 2BW
    • Accomplished: Reach 160lbs (11/25/2011), Squat 2 plates (12/17/2011)

I am completely open to suggestions and comments, but please don't be offended if I don't take your advice. I expect to put on the weight pretty heavily at first and make a lot of great noob gains. As the weight gets up there I'd like to hire a coach to work on my form with, unfortunately student salaries are rather lack-luster so I'll wait until I've got some experience with everything.

I look forward to being a member here and feeling the power of the barbell!
    Last edited by PerseusStoned; 12-17-2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Updating

Default Starting routine

My routine is currently as follows. Please note this has been edited, so some responses might not make sense in context. Any other routines I've been on are listed further below.

Workout A
    1. Athletic squat (3x5)
    2. Bench press (3x5)
    3. Supinated pull-ups (Alternating 3xF, weighted 3x5)
    4. Back extensions (3x10)

Workout B
    1. Athletic low-bar squat (3x5)
    2. Standing press (3x5)
    3. Alternating Deadlift (1x5)/Power clean (5x3)

Warm-up[/B]
    1. Bust a sweat doing some light cardio (elliptical or rowing machine)
    2. 1x12 Dynamic stretches: Squat-to-stand with hamstring stretches, core rotations,arm circles, upper back cross, shoulder dislocations,
    3. 2x5 with the bar (65lbs for Deadlift/Cleans), 1x4 25% planned plate weight, 1x3 50% planned plate weight, 1x2 75% planned plate weight
    Last edited by PerseusStoned; 12-13-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Dude...I'm sincerely glad you made it here, and I'm glad you're getting the book, and I hope you use the book and the collective wisdom of this board to help you CLARIFY some of the issues you're already bringing up. You've discovered a great resource--there are a lot of smart, generous folks here who like to help people who are help-able.

It's just that...well...your log....

Oh, hell. Somebody else will tell you. I just wanted to say "Welcome." Really.

Perseus, what kind of weight are you lifting now?

Your program looks ambitious. There are some exercises there that I would omit at the beginning, especially with your other training.

First on the chopping block would be rows. My .02.

Default First seven workouts

I started with the following numbers and over 2 weeks have reached the following:
    • Squat - 135lbs, now 160lbs
    • Bench - 85lbs, now 105lbs
    • Row - 65lbs, now 75lbs
    • Press - 45lbs, now 65lbs
    • Deadlift - 95lbs, now 135lbs

My routine was as follows. Please note this is not my current routine.

Workout A
    1. Athletic low-bar squat (5x5)
    2. Bench press (5x5)
    3. Pendlay row (5x5)
    4. Tricep-dip (3x'reps')
    5. Standing ab pulldown (3x5)

Workout B
    1. Athletic low-bar squat (5x5)
    2. Standing press (5x5)
    3. Deadlift (1x5)
    4. Underhand chin-up (3x'reps')
    5. Full contact twists (3x5)

I started high with my squat as the only good thing I did with my couples of months screwing around was emphasizing a heavy squat. My bench 1RM (sad, but untrained) was 130lbs, so I plan on adding 10lbs a workout and getting there my 4th week. Row and Deadlift started at 65lbs, just because we have the 10lb rubber plates to put on them.

I have easily been meeting all my expectations and expect things to get difficult come week 4. Depending on *how* difficult, I might switch to 3x5 before planned. My greatest hurdles so far have been working out with very light weights in a public area, particularly embarrassing when a random high school kid is working out with more weight then me. Most embarrassing is when they're doing it with more weight then I'd actually be able to lift anyways though, so I know I need to just stick through it. Eating more has been very difficult as well, I feel gorged all the time. Never eaten more then I needed to feel full, so its been a change.
    Last edited by PerseusStoned; 11-28-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullydog View Post
    Dude...I'm sincerely glad you made it here, and I'm glad you're getting the book, and I hope you use the book and the collective wisdom of this board to help you CLARIFY some of the issues you're already bringing up. You've discovered a great resource--there are a lot of smart, generous folks here who like to help people who are help-able.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullydog View Post
    Perseus, what kind of weight are you lifting now?

Your program looks ambitious. There are some exercises there that I would omit at the beginning, especially with your other training.

First on the chopping block would be rows. My .02.
    Hey SullyDog, thank you very much for the welcome. I know I'm tacking on accessory exercises from the beginning, but due to form concerns (lighter weight) and my endurance background I thought it would balance out pretty well. I guess I should also clarify that getting *big* and *stronger* are my goals, but those are goals FOR martial arts (edited my post to reflect this). Additionally I cycle commute for financial reasons, not really for health ones. I know other physical activities will eat at my gains, but unfortunately that is to be expected. I'm hoping that my previous cross-country background means that my body will handle it alright.

That being said I know the main compound lifts are where I get to see results the most, so I'd be happy to chop things out. Rows are easily the exercise I'm least interested in. The ab exercises are just good supplements to martial arts in my VERY uneducated and novice opinion. Would you say there are "signs" to look for to indicative things I should chop, or just as a matter of practicability as far as total volume is concerned? Does not starting out as heavy as I can rob the program of its effectiveness (or at least part of it)?
    Last edited by PerseusStoned; 11-25-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Weighed myself Thanksgiving morning (yesterday) and finally broke into 160lbs! I'd like to keep getting heavier though, so my new goal is 170lbs. Not sure on my "official BMI", as I'm waiting to get that measured in January but its lower then I thought it would be. My family, friends and girlfriend have started commenting on my improved posture and "filling out" a little more, but I think most just assume its the bike-riding. I've thought a lot about Sullydog's recommendation that I reduce my program and think that its pretty good advice, however it has been working for me so far. I think I'll plan on transitioning to 3x5 sooner then expected and cut-out the back extensions. I'll also make sure to keep my eyes and ears open for when I have my first stall and figure out how to proceed from there.

I've also been lifting in my old tennis shoes, but finally got enough scrounged together to order some weight-lifting shoes. I'm probably going with the 2011 Rogue Weightlifting Shoes, as eBay and Craigslist have a disappointingly low amount of used shoes available so I might as well get some quality. If anyone's got an opinion on shoes though, let me know!
    Last edited by PerseusStoned; 11-26-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Jsutt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PerseusStoned View Post
    I have easily been meeting all my expectations and expect things to get difficult come week 4. Depending on *how* difficult, I might switch to 3x5 before planned. My greatest hurdles so far have been working out with very light weights in a public area, particularly embarrassing when a random high school kid is working out with more weight then me. Most embarrassing is when they're doing it with more weight then I'd actually be able to lift anyways though, so I know I need to just stick through it.
    You'll be surprised how quickly you stop giving a toss about what anyone else in the gym thinks. Also, power cleans are good fun once you get into them, you just need to start practicing with light weights. Looking forward to following your progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Sullydog

Priorities have a way of changing once squat strength starts going up

Quote Originally Posted by PerseusStoned View Post
    I have easily been meeting all my expectations and expect things to get difficult come week 4. Depending on *how* difficult, I might switch to 3x5 before planned. My greatest hurdles so far have been working out with very light weights in a public area, particularly embarrassing when a random high school kid is working out with more weight then me. Most embarrassing is when they're doing it with more weight then I'd actually be able to lift anyways though, so I know I need to just stick through it.
    Do not worry about this at all. You are on a well thought out path to success that will have you lifting more than them soon enough. So don't worry about them now and you surely won't care about them later.

Another thing is that in about 3 months when the weights are much heavier and the 3 sets of 5 reps are getting much more serious, you'll look back at these days of light weights with fondness. There's no hurry to get past the light weights. You'll be lifting heavy weights for years and years.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
    Another thing is that in about 3 months when the weights are much heavier and the 3 sets of 5 reps are getting much more serious, you'll look back at these days of light weights with fondness. There's no hurry to get past the light weights. You'll be lifting heavy weights for years and years.
    Ha ha, this (below).

Quote Originally Posted by Jsutt View Post
    Priorities have a way of changing once squat strength starts going up
    Watching the numbers go up is very addicting. Watching them go up faster then 5lbs at a time is EXTREMELY addicting.

Thanks for all your kind words and support guys!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast