starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Turbo Time

Default It's Turbo Time

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been bullshitting myself these last few months. I'm no intermediate yet. My squat form has gone to shit and you can't be an intermediate with shitty squat form by definition.

So I'm going to fix my squat form whilst going back onto a Starting Strength-esque routine (with some back off sets on pressing exercises for maximum jackage since I'll have increased recovery abilities due to the reduction in stress from vastly reduced squatting weights. I'm not sure how long this is going to take but it should have been done a long time ago.

I'm back on Starting Strength until I get my squat fixed and simple linear progression no longer works again.

Squats:

100 x 5/5/5

Easy, but just focusing on correct form, sitting back, shoving out knees etc.

Press:

55 x 5/5/5
    50 x 10
    40 x 8

55 was quite easy, thankfully. Happy with 10 reps of 50, and shoulders were fried on 40 so only got 8 reps, but don't really care as I hit a PB.

Power cleans:

82.5 x 3/3/3/3/3

Not too hard generally. Pulled it higher, a function of the weight being a tad lighter and overall feeling much better, so no elbow and wrist pain due to low rack positions.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/4/4

Might be a PB I dunno. These haven't progressed much recently.

Went home.

I'm in a similar spot: messed around on intermediate programs for a little bit, then I realized I never solidly did the basics of form, eating right, and sleeping right so I've switched back to a linear program. I support backing off on the weight a little until you have the form completely locked in. I made that mistake, and have wasted entirely too much time on injuries. Are these weights in kgs or lbs?

Quote Originally Posted by liftdeadtrees View Post
    I'm in a similar spot: messed around on intermediate programs for a little bit, then I realized I never solidly did the basics of form, eating right, and sleeping right so I've switched back to a linear program. I support backing off on the weight a little until you have the form completely locked in. I made that mistake, and have wasted entirely too much time on injuries. Are these weights in kgs or lbs?
    Kilograms.

Thanks for stopping by. I have a previous log called "Bigger Biceps Blog" where you can read about my training history in a little bit more detail.

Good session tonight.

Squats:

110 x 5/5/5

Form quite good tonight. Better at sticking hips back and knees out and leaning forward.

Press:

57.5 x 5/5/5

Felt really good.

Power cleans:

85 x 3/3/3/3/3

As above, felt really good.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/4/4

Meh.

Arms superset, skull crushers with curls.

EZ bar + 23 x 10/10 each

Stretched and went home.

Fairly decent session tonight.

Squats:

115 x 5/5/5

Form quite poor compared to last time, but that's just because I haven't squatted almost a week.

Bench press:

85 x 5/5/5

Not excruciatingly difficult despite not having benched in over a week.

Deadlifts:

190 x 5

Easier than last time. Actually felt quite good.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/5/4

PR by one rep.

Good session tonight despite shoulder pain. Shoulder's been painful today and yesterday, not sure why, but felt a bit better during lifting today.

Squats:

120 x 5/5/

Much better form. Form's definitely getting better.

Press:

60 x 5/5/5

Shoulder quite sore, so quite hard, but not excruciatingly so.

Power clean

87.5 x 3/3/3/3/3

These felt good. Wasn't expecting to be able to do these at all due to shoulder but thankfully was and got them all.

Stretching and home.

Good session tonight.

Squats:

125 x 5/5/5

Form not the best. Didn't feel that flexible tonight for some reason, was staying too upright, abs felt a bit like they were caving in when I tried to lean forward... just wasn't great.

Bench press:

87.5 x 5/5/5

Very hard, but I got them all.

Deadlifts:

195 x 5

Very happy with these. Not too hard at all. Going for 200 x 5 on Sunday hopefully. According to Wendler's formula I should just scrape 227.5 (or 500lb to any Yanks that may be reading)... I'll find out in January sometime when I max out.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/4.5/4/3.5/2

Did more sets as I think the volume I was doing on these was not enough to keep getting me stronger as I was stagnant on these for quite a while.

Abs 3 x 10

Stretching and home.

Another meh session tonight. Felt really deflated this afternoon and was debating on going or not.

Squats:

130 x 5/5/5

Form not really improved at all. I'll have to watch the Starting Strength DVD again (and again and again...).

Bench press:

90 x 4/2
    80 x 7
    50 x 3/3/3/3/3/3/3/3 - speed reps

Never got five on the first set, and the weight felt even heavier on the second set. Very disappointed. So did 80 hoping to get five and got 7 in not too much difficulty for a cheap reps PB. I seem to be much better at repping than I am with heavy fives etc. Did some speed work because ages ago when my bench hit its first peak (almost as good then as it is now) I was noticeably much faster in the 60-70 range than I am now.

Back extensions:

bodyweight x 10/10/10

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/4/4/2/1

Meh. Went home.

Going to start doing Defranco's agile 8 too.

starting strength coach development program
    Back on Starting Strength.

Not feeling that great either. Been doing a lot of travelling these past two days and think I've caught something.

Squats:

140 x 5/5/5

Kicked my ass cardiovascularly and mentally although went up smoothly.

Press:

60 x 5/5/5

First set was the hardest.

Deadlifts:

180 x 5

Kicked my ass again. Form seems to have massively deteriorated in the few weeks I've not done them and grip feels different too.

Went home.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast