starting strength gym
Page 1 of 278 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Gillian's Journey

Default Gillian's Journey

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Age 34
    Height 5'5" (almost, closer to 5'5" than 5'4" - was measured last weekend)
    Weight 148

I have been looking through everyone's logs for a long time and decided that it was time to start my own. I have learned from and been inspired by many of your experiences.

I wasn't sure whether my log belonged in intermediate or competitive lifter. Anyone that knows me will laugh at that and tell you that I "compete" everyday at everything. You will be hard pressed to find anyone more competitive by nature than I am. Not sure yet if this is an attribute or personality flaw.

I chose to put the log here because this weekend I will be competing in my first powerlifting competition.

2011 USAPL Northeastern Championships
    http://www.florida-powerlifting.com/2011neusa

Below is the link to a video of the meet openers that I am planning to hit. This was my workout from yesterday.
    http://www.gillianmounsey.com/blog/

I will be competing Raw in the 67.5kg weight class. My goal is to post an elite total and break the American Bench Press record in my weight class at my first meet which is currently set at 203.75lbs.

After this weekend, I plan to detail my workouts in this log. Please hold me accountable if I slack off on this.

This weekend will be the 8 month anniversary of my first Starting Strength workout. 8 months ago (this Saturday) is when I stopped being a crossfitter and became a lifter under Rip's guidance and with the daily coaching of my husband, Mac. The focus of my future is the sport of weightlifting. I have chosen to enter the powerlifting competition for 4 reasons.

1. Get competition experience
    2. Test myself
    3. As a demonstration of all the hard work that went into the past 8 months
    4. To have fun!!!

Gillian

I'll be watching your log with great interest, Gillian! Should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillian View Post
    My goal is to post an elite total and break the American Bench Press record in my weight class at my first meet which is currently set at 203.75lbs.
    I dunno that you should be worried about breaking records your first time out. Maybe instead just get onboard and establish a baseline to build upon during future competitions? My $.02.

Best of luck this weekend ... Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    I'll be watching your log with great interest, Gillian! Should be fun.

I dunno that you should be worried about breaking records your first time out. Maybe instead just get onboard and establish a baseline to build upon during future competitions? My $.02.

I agree with your advice completely. Honestly, I am satisfied just to be there and to make a total at my first meet. I understand how lofty my goals are for my first meet but I believe that I perform to my mental expectations. Things don't always workout the way I planned, but I always shoot for the stars. 25 years ago I would have insisted that I was going to be the next Mary Lou Retton - that didn't workout but my drive/ambition has never relented.

EXCELLENT, so psyched to see your log, Gillian!

Do you know what time you are lifting on Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    I dunno that you should be worried about breaking records your first time out. Maybe instead just get onboard and establish a baseline to build upon during future competitions?
    Just teasing you...I'm guessing you don't REALLY understand the voracity of this statement below!

Quote Originally Posted by Gillian View Post
    Anyone that knows me will laugh at that and tell you that I "compete" everyday at everything. You will be hard pressed to find anyone more competitive by nature than I am.
    Oh boy is this true.

You're gonna do great, because you accept nothing but greatness.

I'll be filming each lift so we can all watch in awe and wonder later!!

Michele,

I will be lifting in session 1 on Saturday morning. It runs from 9am till 1PM. All of the women and the men's classes under 148lbs will be lifting at this time. No idea where I will fall in. I do not have a competition total so according to the rule book I will be in the first flight of my weight class if there are multiple flights. Best guess is that I will be doing my first attempt squat before 9:30.

If anybody else had more accurate information, please correct me.

Gillian

thanks. i'll miss it but break a leg.

Awesome, good luck!

And we expect a full report and pictures/video if possible :-D

starting strength coach development program
    Oh. This. Is. AWESOME.

Page 1 of 278 1231151101 ... LastLast