starting strength gym

Thread: Oran's Training Log

Default Oran's Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A little background on me: I started lifting in January of 2010 and started with (gasp!) StrongLifts. I was ignorant. I ran 5x5 up to 225, then read about Starting Strength and ran it up to 270. At that point I discovered a powerlifting gym in my town and started training there running their system, a kind-of Westside program. I did a bunch of meets last year and really enjoy competing (I compete in a geared federation - WABDL) I'm about to have my second kid and I just hate being away from my family for their 2.5 hour workouts, so I bought some equipment and I'm in my garage.

After training for singles for so long, I have no conditioning and have no idea what my 5 rep maxes are. So I'm running GSLP up to a stall, then I'm going to run Texas Method. The first couple of workouts, I was out of breath at 7 reps of really easy weight, but I'm getting much better.

Some stats:
    BW:180 (competed at 165, but I put on some weight recently so I'm going to compete at 181 from now on - or maybe even 198)
    Height: 5'8"

Best lifts:
    Squat: 345x1 (425 single-ply)
    DL: 405x1 (446 single-ply)
    Bench: 225x1 (303 single-ply)
    OHP: 145x2x2

These were all at 165 and I haven't tested my raw maxes in a long time.

Goals:

200/300/400/500 raw
    400/500/550 geared
    Be reasonably fit and healthy

Process:
    Run Texas Method once I have an idea of where my 5rms are and do short conditioning sessions 2-3x's a week. Work out in gear twice a month.

I always write sets x reps (i.e. 3x5). Yes, I am a technically a competitive lifter, but I think my numbers determine my training to be intermediate.

Last night's workout:

Press: 2x5x130, 7x130
    DL: 7x290 (Could have done a lot more, but I don't like high-repping deads so I'm cutting them at 7)
    Chins: 3x6 +5lbs.
    Neck Harness: 4x25x15

Easy workout, although that 7th rep on the press was a grind. Just taking my time adding weight to see where I'm at.

Tonight's workout:

Bench: 2x5x185, 7x185
    Squat: 2x5x275, 9x275
    BB curls: 2x15x60
    Chins: 3x8

Nice, easy workout. My conditioning is coming back nicely. I stopped the reps short since I have a bench fundraiser on Monday. I got pledges for bodyweight reps to benefit the local police K9 unit.

It's good to see you posting here. It'll be interesting to see how the black iron gym experience will translate to the the garage and TM. The kids tell me it's been in the 50s this week in central OR. Tip back your favorite Deschutes or Boneyard this weekend, they don't distribute this far east.

Good memory, bob! Yes it has been beautiful and unseasonal here since Thanksgiving - cold nights, though, and woke up to some snow this morning. The skiers are getting restless.

I'm really enjoying my time in the garage and lifting raw for higher volume. I miss my training team, though. It's not the same lifting by yourself.

My gym had a fundraiser for our town's Police K9 Unit - body-weight bench for reps. I ended up weighing in quite heavy (185.5) and they round up so I benched 190. Ended up getting 10 reps, which is a PR, and I'm quite satisfied. Especially since I weighed under 165 a few months ago. We raised over $1,000 and had a blast.

This morning I did a chin ladder. 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 with 20-30 second rests. I liked this a lot. Was able to get in a bunch of reps in less than 5 minutes.

Started feeling sick today and didn't have a lot of energy. I knew training would make me feel better, and it did.

Tonight's workout:

Press: 2x5x135, 6x135
    Deadlift: 7x305
    Chins: 2x6xBW+10

Everything felt great. Not sure how much weight I'll continue to add on the press, but I'm in PR territory every workout, which is nice. I'm adding 15lbs. each workout on deads, which I think I can continue for a while.

Last night's workout (still sick):

Bench: 2x5x195, 7x195
    Squat: 2x5x285, 8x285
    BB Curls: 2x15x65

starting strength coach development program
    I had a funny interaction at the doctor's office. He weighed me and wrote it down. Then we went into his office and we're talking and he says, "This can't be right." I asked him what he was referring to. "According to this, you've gained 35 pounds in the past year." I told him that was correct. He said, "Well it appears to be all muscle."

Was he coming on to me?