starting strength gym
Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: hrat's log

Default hrat's log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    25 yrs old, 5ft 4, 65ish kg, female, astrophys grad student in Scotland, UK. Lifting for a few years.

My first attempted log and account got lost in the mess, but there was nothing interesting there anyway. I hurt my lower back over Xmas with some long car journeys and ill advised twisting, and just got back to speed this week.

Best lifts last year (kg); squat 102.5, bench 52.5, deadlift 140 (slight hitch, 135 clean), power clean 52kg. Push press 45kg, press unspeakable (32.5kg I think), chins 5
    My bench is awful, and I struggle to improve it, but the squat and DL I've got almost figured out.

I love training, and also like other physical stuff like indoor rock climbing, sailing etc, so I do tend to do stupid shit occasionally because I can (max chins over 3hrs of the evening for example, total of 50). I want to get strong, and have competed a few times in PL and will again, but I also train just to train, because training keeps me sane.

Detailed log is here; http://www.sugdenbarbell.co.uk/forum...-to-bench-9494 on the off chance anybody cares . Currently, I'm trying some linear progression on squat and DL; squat because I've finally understood how the knees should work and have some easy gains to make, and DL because I've not done 5's consistently for a while, and again, should have some easy gains as the squat goes up. I'm trying a bastardized (I think) Woojus Geeshman TM variation for bench and press; I suppose DE work is a little superfluous with my numbers, but I have tried linear progress, and can't make it work. Thought I'd give this a shot, as it can't hurt. So it's;
    Monday squat 3x5, pc 6x3, weighted plank.
    Tuesday; bench 5,5,amrap, press 10x3 DE, chins
    Thurs; squat 3x5, DL 1x5, pullups, leg raise
    Fri; press 5,5,amrap, bench 10x3 DE
    Conditioning wise, I have a 30min swim on Tuesday, a friendly 5aside football game on Fridays, and attempt a mile run and some climbing on Sundays, plus a 25min walk to work everyday.

Hill walking last weekend, so kindof tired. Rather a bust this week; lack of sleep Weds night screwed my Thurs session, so bumped to Friday which screwed that.
    Mon; squat 65 3x5, singles at 70,75,80,80 to get groove back. PC 45 4x3, then 2+1awful, 1+2high pull, weighted plank. Just a bit too much on the cleans.
    Tues bench 47.5 3x5 (PR, I suck at this), press 20 8x3 fast, working on the 3rd edition form
    Weds some shoulder dislocate stretch, band pullaparts
    Thurs; rubbish, tightness in back where I hurt it, feels muscly but not certain. squat 60x5, 65x4, 65x5 with belt, 65xtotal failure. Forgot to squat it, just went down to the pins. Too tired. Tired to DL 60x5, 80x2 got nothing, went home.
    Friday; DL bunch of warmups then 90x1, 105x5. pause squat (kinda making up for yesterday) 30x5 40x5, 50x5, 10 press 30x3, 27.5x4, 4

Lower back today has a tightness on the left; when deadlifting it did not hurt to pull as I normally do, but trying a strict tight setup hurt off the floor. Best I can tell, I lose a little arch off the floor, and the motion of losing it hurts, whereas setting up without it, and staying rigid in the pull feels fine. Felt a lot better after the session, so not very sure what to do. See how Monday is after some proper sleep. May have to up to maintenance eating; have been losing Xmas weight very slowly.

Variable week again, still having to consider the back, and now my hips hurt when sitting.
    Sunday climbing and mile run.
    Monday; squat 67.5 3x5 great, 80x2 belted for confidence, PC 45 7x3, Weighted plank.

Tuesday; bench 50x2,1, 45 2x5 press 22.5 8x3, 20sec rests, few OH squats etc with 15kg
    Bar was all over the place on bench, was using an Oly bar, and they really spin. Needs microloading again?

Today; squat 70 3x5 loose belt; still favouring the back, tho' I don't need to. DL no belt 80x5, 100x1, belted 107.5x5, 2 singles and a 120. Working on form; tried with hips much higher and feels a lot better on the back.

Swim on Tues, 5aside football tonight.

Adding this because I'm absurdly pleased; finally managed to hang snatch the bar (15kg) Been doing snatch balance every so often, because while I can power snatch 35-40 I can't get under anything. After some of those heavy, and some OH squats, tried a hang snatch. First few either dumped or powered, but finally got 2 good reps. Next step is from the floor, then actual plates on

Today; press 27.5 3x5 belted, trying 3rd Ed form, some flew up, some crawled, need practise. Bench 35 10x3 fun.
    OH squat/snatch balance etc. Highlight; 30kg balance and 2reps OH sq, 15kg hang snatch.

Nice to see I'm not the only grad student who lifts to stay sane! I'll be following your log

Ha, once last year I had to present my research, and caught myself thinking "bar's loaded" when I was getting up.

So far this week;
    Monday squat 72.5 3x5, PC 45 8x3, weighted plank 15kg 1min40, 20kg 1min
    Tues; bench 48.5 5,4,4 press 23.5 8x3, 25mins swimming

Today; squat 75 3x5, DL 110x5 felt good, 120x1, 130x1. Form here feels much better now I'm putting hips higher.

Realised my squat form has gone to suck yet again, and my programming is silly. Reset to 65 for 5x5 on Monday, and a 1x5 on Thurs next wk, and start using belt on tight. I'm rehabbing a facet joint injury (I think), and while DLs are fine, and squatting right is fine, squatting badly hurts, and not in a way I can work through. Trying to convince myself to deal with it properly, and stop justifying shitty technique to chase numbers, but it's hard.

Sounds like you know what to do on the squats, even though it sucks in the short-term. I like the talk prep.

Yesterday my first ever paper got published; only second author, but in a real journal and everything. Very pleased.
    Last Friday; press 28.5 3x5 good again. Bench 37.5 4x3 too heavy, dropped to 35 for 4x3 more. Couple barbell complexes, 5 mins on rower.
    Sat; bouldering for 2 hours, then a mile run and 4 hill repeats.
    Sunday; 3mile stroll in sunshine.

Monday; Squat 65 5x5 no belt, knees need work, and need to stop high-barring it. PC 47.5 x 2,2,2,1,1,2,3 PR triple there, after all the rest? No idea what happened.
    Plank +20kg 2x1min

Tuesday;Bench 48.5 5,5,4 Lost the line, lost back tightness, muscled out the 4th, tried 5th but way off. Sucky. Press 25 8x3 fast-ish.

My back feels fine, though it still clicks more than before Xmas, but my hips are killer. Everything round the outside/back is tight, and starts hurting if I sit wrong for too long. It's muscular, and foam rolling helps, but I have no idea why it's suddenly started.
    Also, back down to 65kg from 67-68 a few weeks ago. I want to go a little lower, then crawl back up.

ETA; I was lying to myself about that 75 3x5 squat; they were shit, and they were hurting my back. I am NOT this stupid, and must not do that again.
    Last edited by hrat; 02-23-2012 at 04:07 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Congratulations on your publication!

I feel your pain re: squat technique. I'm currently working through that as well, and will be resetting 15% my next workout in order to facilitate good form.

Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast