starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Not Just a Fat Buddha, But a Strong Buddha

Cool It's Not Just a Fat Buddha, But a Strong Buddha

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey all,

Gonna give SS a shot... dunno if I am beginnerish enough but toyed around with fancy schmancy stuff before my lifts ever really stalled so I am gonna give it a shot. I am kinda like a beginner: never done low bar squats, or PC and dont even know my SOHP max. =)

Diet: I am gonna go easy on the GOMAD concept. Do I like milk? Yes, but never had a gallon/d and dont feel like breaking the community toilet at work. Anyways, I got my Chinese joint on speed dial, for realz! Oh, btw, did I mention that I am already a fatty? -_-' so as far as weight gain goes, the plan is to track protein (g) and just write down everything I ate. Food consumption will be based solely on SS progress. Ie. If I lose wt and gain strength- awesome. If I gain wt and strength- awesome, if I stall and still gaining, I will modify food choices to reduce kcal. You get the point... progress is #1.

My Stats:

Training: consistently 1.5 yrs, started with Nate Green's program BFS (ick) and toyed around... prob the first 6-9 months, I was only going 2-3x/wk, Sept of '11, started training with a neighbor who did PL in the '90 and he put me in a meet in NOV. Some of the stuff was def too advanced for me and I was recovering from a torn labrum from volleyball and therefore I had mixed results working with him.

Current lifts: S:250 (high bar, belt wraps), Bench:125 (shhhhhh....), DL: 290 (belt)

F/170#/5'6/25yrs/BF... more cushin' for the pushin'

Today's Workout (I did a couple of workouts already, this is #4)
    S:165# (felt SUPER easy... first time. The form felt awkward the first few wo)
    ----Break: Gym closed down in the afternoon and didn't know abt it... doh!-----
    SOHP: 70# 5,3,5 (wt felt really heavy... and I started my first wo B with 65# and that was easy breezy... but the 3rd set was the easiest. meh.)
    PC 90# (ugly! every time I caught myself thinking, I missed the lift, or bang my knee or chin... will need to post a vid! Around the 4th and 5th set, the grooves were greased and the weight flew. yippy!)

ttfn folks!
    Last edited by Buddha_Belly; 02-05-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: oops... Squatted 160 no 165

Don't worry! I am not a one post wonder. =) Friday's workout:

S:165#
    Bench:95
    DL:200

hmmm... so i think I am taking my "bulk" too seriously and kinda let go and started stuffing my face. I don't think my butt nor waist appreciate it. A couple things I realize, I eat quite a few cal from fat and that eating 1g pro/#lbm was much harder than I thought. I like meat but i really like the flavor it has on my veg and rice rather than eating it.

2 things to change diet wise: protein will now be min 1g/#lbm or 125g+ i think i have a bit too much lard to really justify the 1g/#bw. Eat out max 1x/wk. It is much easier to eat at least healthier that way. Feeling kinda tired of eating crap.

Random share: So yesterday I played paintball for a couple of hours and my body is tired and my right bicep is pumped/sore. Didn't realize how tiring it is to hid, shoot and be a badass. Oh yeah, I gashed my knee too but not because of some super stunt. Being the super sniper I am, I needed to get to the other barricade 5yds away but with paintballs flying before me i need to be quick and make no errors. I decided to sprint. Fully focused on my next safe zone, I went for it. But as I took my 2nd step, I tripped. I tripped over the thick metal sheet barricade I was hiding under by smashing my knee on it. But that didn't stop me. With my intense pain, I still made it to my destination. -_-' Damn you SS... If my legs weren't so strong I wouldn't have a gash... but then, I wouldn't have made it to my target... so Thanks? Or maybe I should watch where I am going? hmmm.... questions.

TTFN... Time for some Football! Go Giants!

Great work BB!

Welcome! You are strong, I bet your lifts are going to skyrocket. Don't feel bad about the power cleans, I have hit myself in the chin, collarbone, nose and even boobs once, but when they go up smooth and rack just right it is a rush. Like the paintball story too, I'll be following your log.

Thanks guys for the encouragement. Saw both your goals on the 2012 goal thread. I will be cheering. =D

WO:
    Squat:170
    SOHP:65... again.. boo!
    PC: 95
    Dips: 4 negatives

oh man... so glad that the squats were light because my upper body is exhausted. Me thinks that I have to suck it up and get some washers. BUT, for the SOHP, the weight went up much smoother than last time. Maybe I'll hold off on washers for another week or two... rent is due, i'm broke and I refuse to eat nutella ALONE for a week straight because I bought washers.. oh college. Fun times.

Tonight: volleyball yay! ready to pound out my aggression for 2 hours and then, uploading my squat and PC vid for a good ole rip apart aka form check

ttfn... I need to shower. *phew*

Still love the name.

Ty F4. Now if only after every time I rub it I can get some good luck coming my way. =P

Tonight's WO:

Squat: 185, 185, 175
    Bench 100X3s
    DL:210

So... I think I forget how to count some times. I was suppose to squat 175. I was wondering why I had a hard time pushing the right knee out. Considering the jump, it was pretty easy so yay!

Gym Etiquette that you can't learn from bb.com: NEVER and I say NEVER cut in on a Caribbean woman's workout equipment. This guy tried to get in on the bench without asking and she ripped him a new one. Last time, it was another Caribbean lady going off on a man twice her size because he cut into her squats. I pray for the next bastard who tries to do that. lol. Workouts are never boring where I am at!

And I promise... form critique vids soon... just have to find that damn cord! >.<

ttfn

This is extremely promising.

That's some great work BB.

Love the gym story :-D

starting strength coach development program
    Ok last two workouts!

Sat:
    S:180
    SOHP: 75x5,5,4
    PC: 100.. Hellz yea... triple digits! =D

With the PC, wrist starts to feel uncomfortable. I suspect that I will need some bumper plates or a lame arse way to get the weight down after completing the movement soon. I have thick knees but tiny wrist. -_-' The workout was a bit tiring- had a couple of drinks Fri. Did I learn my lesson? Hell no. Sat... I resisted the post flag football drinking for 4 hours then I caved with a bklyn lager and pandoras gates flooded. Yup spent Sunday recovering and now I am slightly sick from all of this indulgence. But I am a BEAST and powered through Monday's (today's) workout + VB game 1.5 hours later. BEAST I tell you! hehe

Today:
    S:185
    Bench: 105
    DL: 220 (grip fail @ the 4th rep so I resetted! #_#)

So me being sick + some unnecessary stress the workout drained me... Aunty Flo visited me today. I am not fond of her. She always comes in unannounced, always bring pain and always leave a mess in my home after 1 week. Whatever... I told her to STFU and that I need to get my pump on. =D Squats flew because a buddy of mine was watching lol. Bench was draining as usual but the speed is still good and DL... I know I was suppose to be doing the program but I decided to super set. I did a warmup set then, I did a mental set of: "shit, this is gonna suck" and then I did another warmup, then a set of walking around the bar hyping myself up and clapping my hands like a special kid then after my final warmup, I left the gym to get water and came back 10 mins later and fucking did my workset. So today was a bit mentally tough and draining but I should be good by Wed unless the cold gets worse.

Oh yeah... Didn't realize how deconditioned I was... played vb after and I was done after the first game (had 3 today) or maybe it's cuz I worked out too soon. meh. But whatevz' i's so awesome.

btw... how do you add pics?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast