starting strength gym
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr. Rogers' SS Log - This is embarrassing

Default Mr. Rogers' SS Log - I can't squat worth squat :/

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This isn't going to be pretty, so if you're faint of heart I encourage you to look away.

I've started this log in an attempt to regain my man card, which apparently I've lost by not weighing as much as TBone. I just hope that's the only qualifier for regaining it.

I've been doing SS for just shy of a couple months, switching from SL which I did for maybe a month before coming to my senses.

Current Progress:

updated 3/27/12

Age - 30
    Height - 5'10
    Weight - 171 lbs

Squat = 205lbs 3 x 5 > 220lbs 3x5
    Bench = 160lbs 3x5 > 190lbs 3x5
    Press = 95lbs 5,5,3 > 100lbs 3x5
    Deadlift = 265lbs 1x4 > 300 1x5
    Power Clean = 120 3x5 > form issues, relearning

After receiving some advice on my squat form from my Monday workout I thought it would be a great idea to deload a bit and really focus on keeping my lower back tight. Calling last night's workout a fucking catastrophe would be putting it mildly. I found out just how difficult it is to lift on 4-5 hours of sleep (not my choice).

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Squat:
    5 x 45lbs
    5 x 45lbs
    5 x 105lbs
    3 x 135lbs
    2 x 155lbs
    5 x 185lbs
    5 x 185lbs
    5 x 185lbs

I taped last nights workout, but was so frustrated with how squat went I haven't watched it yet. Over the last couple of weeks a proper squat has been the bane of my existence. Frustrating times. I think I'm still relaxing my back in the hole to get down to parallel/just below parallel.

Bench:
    5 x 45lbs
    5 x 45lbs
    5 x 105lbs
    3 x 135lbs
    3 x 145lbs
    5 x 160lbs
    5 x 160lbs
    5 x 160lbs

Bench went really well. Unracking the bar is starting to get challenging as my only training partner is a six year-old cat that just screams and tries to sit on me.

I do think I may need to invest in a new bench, I have a PowerTec workbench that decided to shift on me last night after my fifth rep on the last set. The dangers of a bench that isn't solid steel. Bolts are tight as hell, but the thing still wiggles...

Power Clean:
    5 x 45lbs
    5 x 45lbs
    5 x 85lbs
    3 x 95lbs
    2 x 105lbs
    3 x 120lbs
    3 x 120lbs
    3 x 120lbs
    3 x 120lbs
    3 x 120lbs

Some reps felt like the bar was still empty so I figure I must be doing something right. I can't help but think these would be easier with a better bar (which I'm working on) and bumpers. Having to shove crap under the plates to get the bar 8.5" - 9" off the ground is getting tiresome.

Back extensions:
    10, 10, 10

I'm sure if the Mrs. walked in on my back extension setup she'd freak. A weighted bar on the rack, a saw horse and two pillows for cushioning. I'm hoping these will help me figure out how to keep my lower back muscles tight during squat. It's clear I have no kinetic sense (if that's what Mark called it in the book). It's a wonder I played AAA hockey growing up, but that might be part of my Canadian DNA.

Chin-ups:
    6 x BW+7.5
    6 x BW+7.5
    6 x BW+7.5

I can get sets across at 10+ reps with just body weight so I'm trying PL on these.

Very frustrating/long workout, but hopefully those are few and far between. I figure it can get much worse, so there's really only one way to go.
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 03-27-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: updated Current Progress

This IS embarrassing.

Press = 95lbs 5,5,3

I'm only 30lbs behind you; with one-arm.

haha kidding man, I mean the embarrasing part. haha

As for your squats, take the biggest breath you can (allow your stomach to drop and expand out (allowing your lungs to fill up even more)) and hold your breath through the entire rep. Rinse and repeat. That cue REALLY helped me, although, the dropping belly part might be because I have a LOT of excess fat on it. So you might want to disregard that part. hehe

Good numbers to start out with. Eat a lot and lift constantly.

Good luck.

Can only improve, right?...right?

I've been analyzing my squat during lunch and among my faults may be bar position ie I place it too low. I have absolutely no concept of where the bar should sit despite reading the damn section numerous times. Guess I'll mess around with bar position a bit tonight so I'm ready tomorrow.

edit:

It just occurred to me that a high bar position promotes a more upright back position (talked about in the squat chapter), so I'm guessing a lower than proper low-bar position promotes a more horizontal back position. This may be why I have a hard time keeping my chest up and help explain the loss of back extension in the hole.

These are just ramblings so I can figure this squat business out, feel free to chime in if you like.
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 02-02-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rogers View Post
    Can only improve, right?

I've been analyzing my squat during lunch and among my faults may be bar position ie I place it too low. I have absolutely no concept of where the bar should sit despite reading the damn section numerous times. Guess I'll mess around with bar position a bit tonight so I'm ready tomorrow.
    There is always room for improvement.

Have you watched this?

http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...t_bar_position

Check out other Resources here:

Resources

Quote Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
    There is always room for improvement.

Have you watched this?

http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...t_bar_position

Check out other Resources here:

Resources

...I have not and I have a feeling that link and the resources page will be extremely useful going forward. Thank you kindly.

Your log can't be that embarrassing, since we have similar numbers even though I'm pretty sure I've been lifting longer and weigh a good 50lb more than you, Mr. Rogers.

Quote Originally Posted by Noema View Post
    Your log can't be that embarrassing, since we have similar numbers even though I'm pretty sure I've been lifting longer and weigh a good 50lb more than you, Mr. Rogers.
    I'm only 180lbs heavier. haha

Thanks, it definitely helps to set specific goals, which admittedly I've never done with any training.

Quote Originally Posted by Noema View Post
    I was reading your log earlier today, great work so far!

I can empathize with your squat troubles. I was so frustrated with my squat performance (read: form) last night that it ruined the rest of my night.

I will echo Noema's comment there's nothing embarassing about those numbers. I am 5'7" and 200lbs and hitting almost the same weights you are. Stick to it and good things will come.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks to the video mwhities posted I realized I had the bar way below where it's supposed to be. I was looking for the scapula spine close to the middle of my back which now explains so many things.

@ John Tony, thanks for the kind words.

I only have one issue, I have 22 hours until my next workout and I can't wait.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast