starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: David's Strongman Log

Default David's Strongman Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Height: 5’10”
    Weight: ~220lb (up from 210lb a few months ago)

I’ve been hanging around here for a while and posting sometimes. I’ve decided to start a log now because my awesome wife finally got herself an ID and has started a log. Hopefully I can keep this updated consistently.

I’ve trained for a long time. But to be honest, most of that training was to look good. The workouts were typical bodybuilding routines. I did squat though and understood the importance of gaining strength. When I was about 30 or so I squatted 365lb for 8 reps and 335lb for 10-12 reps – was in love with high reps at that point so I’m not sure what I could of done for a heavy single or double. After this point, I had a hernia and surgery for it in 2008. Then at the end of 2009 I had a distal clavicle resection in my left shoulder after not being able to train all of that year. I spent most of 2010 getting back into shape, but it was back to my old workouts. By the end of 2010 I was bored. For the first time, maintaining 18” biceps was no longer motivating. For Christmas in 2010, I received the 2nd Edition of Starting Strength and followed a modified version of the program for around 3 months.

I started training for Strongman events and competitions around March, 2011 with my wife. In 2011, we both competed in 3 strongman competitions. It was a lot of fun, but to be really competitive I realized I needed to improve my strength even more. So, I’ve stripped my training down to the basics. At first I used Madcow 5x5 for my squats (I liked the ramping sets to get used to heavy weights again), then a short month of SS Advanced Novice to build my sets across weight. I’ve just begun the Texas Method for my squats (Sunday was my third week - volume day) and am also using it for my press, bench, and dead lift. I still add in some extra training for strongman events, but I limit what I do and currently am not doing any conditioning work.

I know I’m not going to be the strongest guy at 36, but I’m going to be as strong as I can be. I pay special attention to sleep and eating; and I’ve also organized my training so I can do my volume day on Sunday, when I don’t have to worry about stress and fitting it in after work.

I’ve learned a lot about training and programming over the last year. The most important thing I’ve learned/heard is that you don’t do someone else’s program. You may follow SS, TM, 5/3/1, or Westside, but it is still your program and in the end you are responsible for making progress and any necessary changes.

I think I’m on the verge of making a lot of progress. Hopefully I can share it here.

2/05/2012 Volume Day

I use reps x sets.

Squat
    Warm-up/and foam rolling
    300x5x5 (These were up 5lbs from last week.) Felt pretty good though. Will repeat again next week. Building discrepanacy from intensity day.

Press
    Warm-up
    140x5x5 These were easy. Will add 5lbs next time. (I was sick for two weeks in January and my press suffered so I had to drop it back. Was up to 145-150lb for 5x5.)

DL (no belt)
    Warm-up
    355x5 (So these are pretty light. I've been working on my pulling w/o using a belt to try and get my lower back stronger. Most of my heavier missed pulls have been from losing extension and then not being able to lockout. I spent too much time training deadlifts/deadlift variations at higher heights which was a mistake. My best pull off the ground last year was 450lb uisng an axle - at least I know my grip is not a problem).

Deadlift using Farmers Walk Handles (they come just below my knee like a rack pull)
    225lb (each side) x 3
    275lb (each side) x 3 x 2 These were heavy but doable. Good work for my grip, lats, and traps.

good to have you here. I competed in 2010 and 2011 in a few strongman competitions in CO myself. Loved it! But want to focus on hitting a few goals in PL at the moment.

I'll be sure to follow your log!

Thanks Cmanuel.

02/07/2012 Recovery Day (started at 6:25pm / done at 7:35pm)

BW = 223lb

Squat
    Warm-up / Foam roll
    235x5x2 (was a little sore at start but felt good and loose after)

Bench
    Warm-up
    200x5x3

Chins
    BWx6x4 (these were done w/ 60-90 secs rest)

Curls
    85x10x2

I added curls last week primarily to see if I can kick start the healing of my lingering biceps tendonitis. It's worse on the right side and effects the lower insertion and also at the shoulder. It does not stop me but I'd like it to go away. I have not done any curls in a long time, so I'm hoping the extra blood flow might stimulate some healing, but really I have no idea if it will help. This has been a problem off and on since September when I trained Atlas stones for around 3 weeks and then competed at the end of September.

Other ongoing issues include slight IT band issues in my left leg, but I think with aggressive foam rolling I have that nearly under control. I also had double sprained wrists over the summer. One from axle power cleans and the other from a single arm DB push press with a 100lb circus DB that got away from me. I dropped it behind me but not before it sprained my wrist. So, I've finally been feeling like my wrists are healthy again and started power cleans two weeks ago. My right wrist has been feeling some slight twinges of pain, so I'm going to have to see if I can do them on Thursday.
    Last edited by strong_over_matter; 02-07-2012 at 08:48 PM.

If atlas stones are causing you to have bicep tendonitis then it might be a form issue. I see a lot of guys trying to "curl" the stone up to the platform, when you should be reaching over the top. You see this a lot with the heavier smaller stones (smaller in diameter but still heavy). They are so small that gripping over the top is difficult. This is why we always trained with larger molds for all of our weights.

I know what you mean but I think my technique is decent. I'm going to post my comp video when I can get it off my computer. Btw. Nice work on your DL. That is good weight at your body weight.

Here's a link to my last competition in September. http://youtu.be/KRtZ8HVV6Wg

Farmers - 210lb each hand
    DL - ~400lb
    Atlast Stone 200lb
    Yoke - 450lb

Quote Originally Posted by strong_over_matter View Post
    I know what you mean but I think my technique is decent. I'm going to post my comp video when I can get it off my computer. Btw. Nice work on your DL. That is good weight at your body weight.
    Thanks man! I am shooting for a 600 pull in a meet March 24th.

Quote Originally Posted by strong_over_matter View Post
    Here's a link to my last competition in September. http://youtu.be/KRtZ8HVV6Wg

Farmers - 210lb each hand
    DL - ~400lb
    Atlast Stone 200lb
    Yoke - 450lb
    Good job at your comp. Your form looks pretty good on atlas stones just like you said.My form is a bit different, but its hard to compare since in your video you are using a smaller diameter stone than what I am used to. But You're not doing the classic "i'll just curl this tiny stone" that I see a lot of in newcomers to SM, and that's a really good thing.

I'll try to stop in from time to time on your log and see how your training is going! gotta encourage each other.

Wow, upon review, I am an incredibly annoying videographer. Sorry that you need the mute button. Can't wait to see you smoke even heavier events this year

starting strength coach development program
    02/09/2012 Intensity Day (started at 6:45pm / done at 8:20pm)

BW = 223.6lb

It’s been a long day. Stomach issues this morning, so I did not eat all my normal food which is very rare. The transition from working at a desk for 9 plus hours to lifting heavy is a mental battle. I think I have my programming right with volume day on Sunday, but I may just have to deal with the fact that Intensity days will not always be optimal – but what does that even mean?

Squat
    95x5 (and foam rolling)
    135x5x2
    225x5
    275x2
    310x2 (Belted)
    330 x 4 (Belted) (Reps 1-3 were really fast and good, 4th slowed down and I missed the 5th rep. I think I need to pace myself better. The same thing happened 2 weeks ago at 325 but I was able to get it last week. I’ll most likely just keep weight the same and try again next week for 5 reps. I would never quit though and tried the 5th rep. If I’m still conscious I still have the thought in my head that I might get it back up somehow!)

Press (redemption)
    65x8
    95x5
    115x2
    135x1
    150x1
    160x5 (I might have had 6th but stopped where I had planned. These were all great reps.)

Power Clean (R. wrist felt ok, this is only my 3rd week on these so still working to get my form back together before I add much weight. Last power cleans were in October it seems.)
    65x8
    135x3x2
    155x3x4 (these were decent, jumps were mostly ok and elbows were fast)
    175x3x2 (Set one was good - reps 1-2 best of night. Set 2 does not deserve to be called Power Cleans)
    Last edited by strong_over_matter; 02-09-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast