starting strength gym

Thread: Quest to be the strongest guy in boot camp, from DevilPup to DevilDog

Default Quest to be the strongest guy in boot camp, from DevilPup to DevilDog

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I enlisted in the Marine Corps and that woke me up to the fact that I am not as strong as I want to be. I'd say for the past six months I've been working out sporadically with constantly changing goals. Strength, looks, gaining weight, getting lean I hopped around, never really measured results and wasn't consistent. Through all that though, there was the squat and the dead lift which I think are the best things since sliced bread. I just purchased Starting Strength after looking at a lot of Rippetoe on youtube and I can say I'm starting my program and am ready for some gains.

Stats
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 185

Weight on last work set (Note: On some of these I don't have the form where I want so I've been taking it a little cautious.
    Squat: 95
    Deadlift: 199
    Bench: 135
    Press: 75
    Powerclean: 45 Definitely want to learn and use this exercise but it's a lot going on. Got some good practice in today though.

I would love to DL 400, SQ 300 and Bench 200. Plausible?

Last Initial Strength Test (IST for bootcamp)

1 1/2 Mile Run: 10'20''
    Chins: 9
    Situps: 60

Looking for 9 minutes on the run, 20 chins, and 100 situps as a goal, already meet minimums but who stops at minimums.

2/11/12
    Was short on time so I went to this little weight room at my job that has two benches and no racks. All I did was deadlift and got a PR after a few warm-up sets.
    1x5@199 JACKED! but still haven't broken 200 lol

2/13/12
    Warm up sets for everything

Squat
    3x5@115 These were a little shaky but I feel like I'm getting there

Press
    3x5@75 These were really tough and I think I'm going to repeat these next time I do them

PowerClean
    Just kind of practiced the jumping but I'm a little afraid of hitting myself in the throat. This is going to need a form check fairly soon.

Dead Lift
    1x5@185 I couldn't resist doing them even though I know I should have rested. The guy in the rack next to me was curling in the squat rack, with a belt and a spotter, then proceeded to dead lift 95. I couldn't resist.

2/12/12

Squat
    3x5@135 I need more weight! I'm embarrassed, at least 160 on Friday

Bench Press
    1x5@135
    2x5@155 Why am I benching more than i'm squatting?

Power Cleans
    2x5@95
    I deadlifted on Monday so i was afraid to do it again so soon but some successful power cleans today.

Pull-Ups
    BW 664, then 5 assisted.

Gotta stick to the program!

2/17/12

Deadlift
    1x5@223 Damn 44 pound plates! I did these at my job around 1100 then went to the gym that night around 2100

Squat
    3x5@155 Tough, but I guess they're supposed to be. My friend took a video.

Bench Press
    3x5@135 My hands have been too close together when I bench, I can't pick up as much weight when I spread them out. So I slight setback, but I feel really good about my DL and SQ.

Here's me squatting 155, I feel really good about my form. There's slight lean forward on the way up that got a little bit more pronounced on the later sets.

Last edited by DevilPup; 02-21-2012 at 10:13 PM.

2/21/12

Lots of bike riding this weekend and lots of basketball yesterday so I pushed everything up one day.

Squat
    2x5@165
    1x5@135 Switching to low bar and it's very different. Need to work on that.

Bench
    3x5@155

Dead Lift
    1x5@235