starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Throwing another log on the fire

Default Throwing another log on the fire

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Seriously, it's time to get serious. I'm serious.
    I will post my workouts, hopefully this will motivate me to push myself through plateaus, feel free to mock, support, or ignore.

Oh, the LIN-SANITY!!!!!

Lin-sanity indeed!

So to start
    38 times around the sun
    6 ft tall
    ~29% bf
    230lbs
    Waist 44.75"

Current PRs
    Squat 3x5x235
    DL 1x5x285 (after reset from 365 due to rounded back)
    Bench 3x5x202
    Press 3x5x130
    Power Clean insufficient data

To be continued...

ok todays workout I decided to repeat 235 for the squat because I had a hard time previous workout. I had been eating low calories to try and and lower my body fat. I was only able to progress for a few weeks doing this. I think Carlos is right I need to take my intake up closer to 3500 calories. I decided that for now I'm going to focus mainly on protein, if I keep my protein around 200g my total caloric intake will probably be ok. also keeping dairy except for cottage cheese and cream for my coffee out, as well as carbs in general. I may have to add some carbs to before workout, we'll see.

todays workout
    sq 3x5x235
    these were hard. I am finally able to film from the front 45 angle, got the hooks for my rack in the mail. noticed that my knees are caving after reviewing the first set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBPZU...ature=youtu.be

really tried to pull my knees out in the second set. the third rep of the second set was close to I think I should be doing, though I was not able to maintain on the ascent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QBy5...ature=youtu.be

thought about lowering the weight for the third set because I obviously need to work on pulling my knees out as hard as I can from the beginning of the descent until lockout. In my mind I thought that I was starting by pulling my knees out too wide and that they were coming in to a more appropriate position at the bottom. the video clears this up. I now know that It is not possible for me to pull my knees out too wide, it may be possible for someone else but not me. I went ahead and did the third set just to see if I could do all 5 with knees out. I could not. Unfortunately I feel that I need to reset to probably 210 and see if I can maintain the knees out position at that weight. Ironically my ass was pretty sore. this must be the esxternal rotators that have been on holiday up until this point...they must be made to suffer. set 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s65f-...ature=youtu.be

press 3x5x132
    these felt ok. not sure if I am pushing through the window enough when the bar clears my head. It does not feel dynamic anyway, but I'm not sure if I can throw my hips back any more explosively. maybe I'll submit a form check on this soon.

set1
    set2
    set3

Hey shorty. Tighten up.

Glad another "bigger" person is hitting it. I'll be here to be little you ir congratulate you. Prefer the latter but, I'll do both.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
    Hey shorty. Tighten up.

Glad another "bigger" person is hitting it. I'll be here to be little you ir congratulate you. Prefer the latter but, I'll do both.

Thanks!
    I'll take the good with the bad.

ok, had to travel out of town Monday and Tuesday. so I paid the $15 drop in fee at the 24hr fitness in Stockton. Octagon weights! fucking octagons! Every bar was different. lame. and it was hot in there.
    2-21-12
    I did 3x5x210 on the squats, they were hard but I made them.
    bench was 4x205, 4x205, 5x205...don't know how I managed 5 on the last set but I'll take it.
    dead 5x290 this sucked because the bar kept rolling towards or away from me at different angles because of the octagon shape. I should have re-set every one but I didn't because I was pissed. At least I worked out, strange gym different plates different bars can't complain too much. it's a win for going. Ate at claim jumper on the way home, got home and puked. thanks Claim Jumper.

2-23-12 back home
    I've been eating a lot more the last couple days because my squats had been stalling. eating too much actually, though i did puke some up. I did not drink at all which is also a win. as a result of eating more I felt stronger today at hit the squats more agressively.
    upon review though I was not getting my knees out far enough, FUCK! I got about 2700 calories today 221g protein. PULL OUT YOUR KNEES ASSHOLE!!! oh and it was supposed to be 215 but it was really 210 because I neglected to load a 5 on the right side and did not notice until I was done. though the load felt funny I shrugged it off. now my back hurts, unbelievable.
    presses were harder than they should have been maybe it was my back, but my left side felt abnormally weak. so much so that it felt like it took 15 seconds to lock out the 5th rep on the first set. needless to say I was only able to make 4 reps on the last two sets. did not even do Power cleans because my back was hurting more at this point and I had to make dinner, I was pissed and frustrated that I did something so stupid and that I didn't get my knees out. next time.

2-25-12
    Weight 229.5
    3086 cal
    149g fat
    107g carb
    251g protein

Squats
    3x5x215

These felt ok eating more protein is definitely making a difference. Knees were out Perfectly on warm up sets. Then in work sets I started focusing on my back for some reason to the detriment of my knees out. This was apparent on video review. Not quite as bad as previously, but not acceptable. This also resulted in questionable depth on several reps. I need to focus on knees out above all things until it is ingrained.

Bench
    3x5x205

PR! Fucking awesome felt good I have to attribute this to the increased protein intake as well, as I feel like I have a small infection, my left lymph node behind my ear has been bugging but that didn't stop the PR! (end run on sentence). This was bittersweet though because the 205 bench also reminds me how pitiful my squat is at only 10 pounds more.

Dead lift
    5x295

Not particularly hard

2-27-12
    I have consistently getting 1gram per lb of bodyweight in protein and it has made a HUGE difference, calorie counts being roughly equal maybe slightly higher now. calories have been ~3000 +- about 5%. and I have been feeling more energy, not sore or worn out. I feel hotter in temperature though and ammore likely to sweat, likely a sign of increased metabolism. I am gonna stay on this course for a while and see if my waist size decreases.
    squats:
    3x5x220
    I feel my form is much improved today. really focused on tightness and above all knees out, and it helped. there were a few times I got loose a little and went forward nut overall I can't complain. one thing I noticed in the videos that I hadn't really noticed before is the bar path is more of / than |. afterfurher review I think I am starting out actually on my heals and shifting toward thd midfoot on descent then back on my heels at the top. strange, I will have to pay more attention to this on Thursday and focus more on starting out in balance and see of that straightens things out.

set 1

set 2

set 3

Press
    I finally hit 3x5x135 with the new technique, i.e. pausing and re-breathing between reps. so I'm back to where I was befor the technique change.
    first rep I allowed to get a little too far out on the descent, a little farther and I probable would have dropped it.

set 3

power cleans
    I did 2 sets with the bar trying to re-drill the movement in, then a set at 65 and a set at 85
    I had to call it quits becaus it was too late...pc days always run long. partly because of the rest time for presses.

starting strength coach development program
    Haven't lifted in 5 days due to (insert excuse here).
    Decided to go ahead and go for pr squats at 290 instead of repeating 285. This was a bad idea. I made the lifts but they were brutal, and ugly. And they took there toll on me.

Squat 3x5@295

Bench I decided to repeat, and still missed 2 reps FUCK!

Bench 5@210, 4@210, 4@210

Dead repeat 5@335

Tried to not lower ma ass as much. We'll see what the video shows

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast