starting strength gym
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: JKW's training log. I'm tired of being weak.

Default JKW's training log. I'm tired of being weak.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Intro:
    Until a month or two ago, I had never set foot in a weight room though I was moderately athletic earlier in life, but always weak as hell. I was getting a little fat and lazy (I'm a software developer by trade so I ride a desk all day). I got the urge to get healthy and become a runner in the fall of last year, and set about training for a 5k. I achieved that a couple months later but in the process my knee started hurting. I ended up diagnosed with runner's knee, and had to stop running to try to rehab. My PT was expensive and did not improve my condition, so I decided to work on it myself at my local gym ($20/mo vs. $50/wk for PT). Aside from my specific knee rehab, I tooled around with some random machines for a while, but realized that I was totally clueless, and that I would get nowhere without some learning first. Somehow I ended up discovering starting strength and bought the book, and started the program on Jan 23, 2012. I got lucky that my gym (retro fitness) has a squat rack (though no power racks). I've given up the prospect of running for now, and just want to get strong. Knee still has issues.

Starting metrics
    Height: 6'1"
    Weight: 173

Starting lifts (01/23/12)
    Squat: 85
    Deadlift: 115
    Bench: 60
    Press: 50
    PC: Haven't tried yet
    Chin: 0

PR lifts (as of 6/27/13) all 5RM except chins
    Squat: 245
    Deadlift: 270
    Bench: 187.5 (210 1RM as well)
    Press: 115
    PC: 130
    Chin: 7 6 6 BW 210
    Pull ups: 4

1RM Goals
    Squat: 300
    Deadlift: 400
    Bench: 200 (Achieved!)
    Press: 135
    PC: 150
    Chin: 1x5 +45
    Last edited by jkw; 06-28-2013 at 08:30 AM.

I did not think to start a log here until now (But i do track every workout on my phone). From my thread in the recovery section, you will see that I had a vasectomy last monday (2/20) so I missed 2 workouts, and this week have started back at the gym, but will be skipping squats and deads until next week.

On the day of the surgery, here is where I was at:
    Body weight: 180

Squat: 145
    Deadlift: 215
    Bench: 85
    Press: 70
    PC: Haven't tried yet
    Chins: 55lb assist

Today:

Bench: 90 3x5
    Chins: 50lb assist 3x5

Was a bit nervous returning to gym after vasectomy. Just did upper body, but had no problems at all.

Random notes:

Eating:
    I've been finding it hard to eat enough protein. With a scoop of whey I can usually get to about 160g per day but I'd like it higher. Also find it hard to eat many calories. I probably get close to 3k per day. Given that my lifts are progressing and my weight is increasing, I guess I'll just keep an eye on it. I've been drinking 2-3 pints of milk per day so 1/4-3/8 gallon.

Deadlift:
    I encountered my first grip issue on the deadlift last time I did it at 215lb. My left arm is a lot weaker than the right and my grip was slipping in that hand. Made the lift feel extremely hard. In fact it's the first time I've had an idea of what people were talking about when they say the deadlift takes a lot out of you. I've never felt so drained as I was a few hours after that workout. I've ordered some chalk to try to help address the grip issue.

Squat:
    Some days the squat feels really hard. I've noticed that I feel stronger in evening workouts, but mornings are best for my schedule. Also I have still a bit of a hard time with low bar placement, due to shoulder inflexibility. I've been doing shoulder mobs including dislocates mostly nightly, and have had great improvement. Still have a hard time getting elbows up though.

Also may try to schedule time with an SS coach to help learn power clean and work on squat form.
    Last edited by jkw; 02-27-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Today:
    Press: 70 3x5
    Chins: 45lb assist 3x5

Sleep was not ideal the past 2 nights, 6.5 each night, but food was good.
    Since it was a week and a half since the last time I did press I just did the same amount. Warmup felt harder than work sets in some ways. Probably could have tried 75, but no harm in waiting another workout

Chins went well, hoping to keep up the 5lb increase up to BW.

Can't wait to get back to squats and DL next week

Went ahead and did squats today, but still no deadlift untill next week.

Squat: 140 3x5 (I think I didn't reset enough after almost 2 weeks off
    Bench: 95 3x5
    Chins: 40lb assist 3x5

I felt really bad about the squats, I'm having a hard time with the form. I posted a form check here. Only good thing was that my shoulders are finally flexible enough that low bar doesn't hurt.

Bench and chins were good.
    Last edited by jkw; 03-02-2012 at 09:49 AM.

How goes the recovery?

What exactly is bothering you about squatting?

As of monday (One week post surgery) there was just a tiny bit of tenderness. By wednesday it was gone, but valsalva still caused a touch of discomfort. As of now I feel 100% recovered, but the exertion from deadlifts still scares me a touch. Overall though it's been a totally easy recovery

I'd definitely look into the SS coaching thing if there is one in your area, it should save you some headaches as far as form is concerned. A side view of your squat could help point out some flaws with knees, bar path, back angle, etc. if there are any. I think you're headed in the right direction, it just could have been the weight was too heavy due to the time off. If you do have the availability of a coach and can afford it, I wouldn't hesitate to contact them. I'm not as young as I used to be and I'd rather err on the side of caution, but that's just me.

I personally have a hard time deciphering my own squats unless they're from a side view.
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 03-02-2012 at 11:50 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes i've reached out to the only starting strength coach listed in the philly area, and hopefully will be setting up a time to get some help. Unfortunately it's about a 45 min drive for me.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast