starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift and light squat (tried to fix things up)

Default Deadlift and light squat (tried to fix things up)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Second set went better becouse I tried to shove my knees harder. Last rep I did my max and its look the best so far. Does my hip drive goes up or back?

Deadlift - I saw Rip's set up video on youtube and tried to do the same. Bar above the middle of my foot, chest squeezed, hips at the same place on the set up.
    Last edited by PomFect; 03-06-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Your deadlift would benefit from a less rushed approach. Check out the following:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...468#post182468

You are not actually doing what you think you are doing. The bar isn't over the middle of your foot. It is forward of it. The bar is often not in contact with your shins. As a result you set up with your hips just a bit too low. Try a narrower stance, too. I bet you will like it.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Your deadlift would benefit from a less rushed approach. Check out the following:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...468#post182468

You are not actually doing what you think you are doing. The bar isn't over the middle of your foot. It is forward of it. The bar is often not in contact with your shins. As a result you set up with your hips just a bit too low. Try a narrower stance, too. I bet you will like it.
    But what about the tension? If you stay in the same position too much, you lose it.

And the bar is standing maybe 1cm far from my shins, and this happens becouse I need some space after I push my knees forward. For the whole rep the bar is scratching my shins and I still have the scratches.

Now I'm really confused.. How far the bar should be? And I'll take the advice for the narrower stance, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PomFect View Post
    But what about the tension? If you stay in the same position too much, you lose it.
    There is no stretch reflex that can be utilized to start a deadlift. Attempts to generate one don't really work, so there is no rush. It is uncomfortable to get into the correct position, but it can and should be held momentarily.

And the bar is standing maybe 1cm far from my shins, and this happens becouse I need some space after I push my knees forward. For the whole rep the bar is scratching my shins and I still have the scratches.
    Long socks are your friends. Get a few pairs and use them to deadlift. It will make your pulling experiences a more pleasant affair. If you need extra protection, cut out some shin guards from a plastic soda or water bottle and place them against your shins inside your newly-purchased socks.

Now I'm really confused.. How far the bar should be? And I'll take the advice for the narrower stance, thanks.
    When you are standing up straight, the bar should be about an inch from the shins. It will seem pretty close. If you move the bar when you bend the knees and drive them out, it pushes the bar forward of the mid foot.

Your squat isn't perfect yet, but it's getting better.

There is no stretch reflex that can be utilized to start a deadlift. Attempts to generate one don't really work, so there is no rush. It is uncomfortable to get into the correct position, but it can and should be held momentarily.

Long socks are your friends. Get a few pairs and use them to deadlift. It will make your pulling experiences a more pleasant affair. If you need extra protection, cut out some shin guards from a plastic soda or water bottle and place them against your shins inside your newly-purchased socks.

When you are standing up straight, the bar should be about an inch from the shins. It will seem pretty close. If you move the bar when you bend the knees and drive them out, it pushes the bar forward of the mid foot.
    I saw many times, at Dave tate articles and etc, about how you should NOT stay on the pulling position too long becouse you losing the tension. I can find the link if you want.
    About the sockes.. I got my long pair (reach the knee) but never tought to use it.. I'll take this advice.
    And I didnt move the bar with my knees, thats why I took that little space for. I'm almost touching the bar, but I'm not. Maybe the angel is confusing, I'll shoot it from the side next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    Your squat isn't perfect yet, but it's getting better.
    I can agree with you about that. Today I really understood how to remove the traveling (didnt shove my knees forward enough).
    But.. I "discovered" that my knees are "crushing" inside. TUBOW, we meet again!

Quote Originally Posted by PomFect View Post
    I saw many times, at Dave tate articles and etc, about how you should NOT stay on the pulling position too long becouse you losing the tension. I can find the link if you want.
    Well, you don't want to stay down there for a minute at a time, but taking an extra second to set your spine in extension is time well spent. The only way you will lose tension at the bottom is if you relax something. There is no eccentric that precedes the pull, so there is no stretch reflex that will be diminished.

I am familiar with Dave Tate's thoughts on the deadlift. I am also familiar with Mark Rippetoe's thoughts on the deadlift. I have heard a number of ideas from coaches on where you should be positioned. You are going to have to decide for yourself which analysis makes more sense and comports better with how bars get pulled off the floor.

starting strength coach development program
    Well, you don't want to stay down there for a minute at a time, but taking an extra second to set your spine in extension is time well spent. The only way you will lose tension at the bottom is if you relax something. There is no eccentric that precedes the pull, so there is no stretch reflex that will be diminished.

I am familiar with Dave Tate's thoughts on the deadlift. I am also familiar with Mark Rippetoe's thoughts on the deadlift. I have heard a number of ideas from coaches on where you should be positioned. You are going to have to decide for yourself which analysis makes more sense and comports better with how bars get pulled off the floor.
    I am completely agree with you, and your idea is clear either. I'll set my spine better. Thanks alot Tom.