Default The Ugly:Hang Snatch

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Once again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmrumqoNsZ8&sns=em

Any improvement?

No.

Everything is all wrong here. You back isnt even tight for a start, stance is too wide. You are extending your hips to soon. You are making no attempt to squat under it.

Jim Moser gave me some good advice when I was learning snatches. Do some very low rep sets, like 1-3 reps per set. Get the FULL SQUAT UNDER for every rep, absolutely perfect and pause at the bottom to focus yourself and get comfortable and balanced. After a 3 second count rise and stand.

Repeat, every rep absolutely perfect. FULL SQUAT every time. If you think there is a chance of failing do not proceed. Start with the empty bar and only add weight if you are sure you will make it.

Also, pull from the floor, a box or if you insist on doing from the hang, do it from below the knee so you can learn the "staying over the bar" till 2nd pull/rebend part.
    Last edited by Dastardly; 03-12-2012 at 08:28 PM.

This is a guy who started at my local weightlifting club, only his 2nd ever session of snatching. EVER. Look at how he moves.

I'm working on power snatches, why would I do a full squat?

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    Jesus fuck. People are trying to ruin my night.

Okay, if you are going to practice from the below the knee position, then you have two options:
    1) Start from the TOP. Chest out, shoulders back. Bend the knees first, then bend at the hip and slide the bar down to below the knee, or
    2) Start from the GROUND. Pull the bar off the floor as if you were going to do a regular power snatch, but pause right below the knee for a count of two before you continue the lift.

Probably do BOTH. But, these ways will get the bar into the correct position whereas you are kind of randomly getting it into a position somewhere around your knee. Put the bar right below your kneecap one of the two ways that I described above.

Also, make the bar stay closer to you. Literally drag it up your fucking thighs and then get your hips through to make contact with the bar.,

And, ignore what Dastardly is saying because you are trying to learn to power snatch the way that Rip coaches the power snatch. So, proceed because I don't think you are going to die or anything...

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    Jesus fuck. People are trying to ruin my night.

Okay, if you are going to practice from the below the knee position, then you have two options:
    1) Start from the TOP. Chest out, shoulders back. Bend the knees first, then bend at the hip and slide the bar down to below the knee, or
    2) Start from the GROUND. Pull the bar off the floor as if you were going to do a regular power snatch, but pause right below the knee for a count of two before you continue the lift.

Probably do BOTH. But, these ways will get the bar into the correct position whereas you are kind of randomly getting it into a position somewhere around your knee. Put the bar right below your kneecap one of the two ways that I described above.

Also, make the bar stay closer to you. Literally drag it up your fucking thighs and then get your hips through to make contact with the bar.,

And, ignore what Dastardly is saying because you are trying to learn to power snatch the way that Rip coaches the power snatch. So, proceed because I don't think you are going to die or anything...
    Thanks. This stuff is going on my checklist, the one you can see taped to the stand in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    Because you are royally fucking it up.

Many people struggle to learn to powerclean well because their body doesnt know how to get under the bar. The effect is magnified greatly when someone who cannot get under a bar tries snatches. I am not being mean, I am one of these people myself. I had to learn to squat clean before I could powerclean and I have coached many people who were exactly the same.

You need to be happy and comfortable in the bottom of a overhead squat/front squat position to do power snatches or cleans well. This isnt the case for everyone, but it is for YOU. Trust me.

One way to prove this;

Can you lift more in a power snatch or a squat snatch? if you are not able to lift MORE weight by allowing yourself to squat deeper than you are doing currently. Then you need to get comfortable with squat snatches. The exact same thing applies for power cleans.

TBone has her knickers in a twist over some irrelevant dispute with me. Ignore that.

this is super slow and loopy

starting with JUST THE BAR, do some standing muscle snatches to get used to the feeling of keeping your elbows turned out to the sides and keeping the bar close to your body -- it should practically drag up your stomach/chest

do them slowly at first, and then start speeding them up

then add a pull under the bar into the receiving position (knees bent at about 45 degrees -- way more than in the video -- and feet widened to a comfortable position)

once you have the feeling down for where you need to be in the receiving position, start speeding the entire lift up, ESPECIALLY the feet moving to their position and the "unfurling"... it should be a powerful SNAP, quick as lightning

only after you have this mastered (which could take anywhere from 10 minutes to days) should you start to work on power snatches from the hip and from below the knees

when those two positions are quick and feel/look good, then start adding weight to the bar

you need to learn to get fast before you even worry about weights

and don't try to learn anything from the video dastardly posted

the kid has plenty of errors in his technique that you don't want to try to emulate

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Because you are royally fucking it up.

Many people struggle to learn to powerclean well because their body doesnt know how to get under the bar. The effect is magnified greatly when someone who cannot get under a bar tries snatches. I am not being mean, I am one of these people myself. I had to learn to squat clean before I could powerclean and I have coached many people who were exactly the same.

You need to be happy and comfortable in the bottom of a overhead squat/front squat position to do power snatches or cleans well. This isnt the case for everyone, but it is for YOU. Trust me.

One way to prove this;

Can you lift more in a power snatch or a squat snatch? if you are not able to lift MORE weight by allowing yourself to squat deeper than you are doing currently. Then you need to get comfortable with squat snatches. The exact same thing applies for power cleans.

TBone has her knickers in a twist over some irrelevant dispute with me. Ignore that.
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOl.

Dude. It has nothing to do with an irrelevant dispute with you.

He absolutely does not have to learn how to full snatch well in order to power snatch well.

Colowayno, agree with stonerider about speed and keeping the bar close. Also, I have not spent a lot of time working muscle snatches, but Caleb swears that they are one thing that totally fixed his bar path.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast