starting strength gym

Thread: Asheville Pulling Camp Report

Default Asheville Pulling Camp Report

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Our first Starting Strength Training Camp in Asheville, NC finished up this past Sunday (March 18th), and it was a great event! We had people from all over the Southeast, and one person travelled all the way from Pennsylvania.

The day started off with some lecture and whiteboard time discussing the basics of pulling mechanics, and why we advocate the vertical bar path as a model for pulling. After everyone got tired of listening to me talk, and all questions were exhausted, we then moved to the platform for a couple of hours of deadlifting. Everyone got to do at least five sets while receiving coaching. As usual, even in a group of only 8 people we got to see and address several different anthropometries and correct errors in preparation for the afternoon’s power clean session. We then had a short Q&A / lunch break, and then moved directly to a discussion of the power clean. Afterwards, we moved back to the platform to put all of our day’s learning to work, since the deadlift and the set-up for it serve as the foundation for the Starting Strength model for the power clean. Everyone made significant progress, and everyone went home with homework and advice on what to work on. We had one participant who had never power cleaned who was performing a very credible lift by the end of the day, as well as several people making PRs on the lift.

Thanks to (in no particular order) Pat, Short Matt, Tall Matt, Miriam, Ed, Brian, John and David for coming! If you folks have any additional questions, you all have my e-mail, and should feel free to use it at any time if you have some additional questions. Finally, a big thanks to our friends at Ashville Strength and Conditioning for putting our a great lunchtime snack table, and glitter. Thanks Tamara!

Watch for more camps in Asheville – it’s a great place to bring the family and get outside, so make sure you plan the whole weekend around it!
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 03-20-2012 at 07:56 PM.

We definitely enjoyed having you in Asheville, Steve! What a great way to spend a Sunday. I learned a lot, and I look forward to having you back at our gym whenever we can. -- Tall Matt.

What's the maximum number of words a coaching cue can have? "Quad's part of the leg too" has 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    What's the maximum number of words a coaching cue can have? "Quad's part of the leg too" has 6.
    "I have a knife" has 4.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    "I have a knife" has 4.
    The knife cue was my favorite, but I was afraid to put that in writing. I guess I've been working in corporate America too long.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you Steve for coming to Ashville, and Tamara for petitioning for a camp to be done there. Reading the book is one thing, but being able to have a competent coach walk you into the correct position so that you can feel what you're supposed to be doing was fantastic. Steve kept both the lecture and the lifting portions of very entertaining, and he was still able to be on topic and informative the entire time. The people from Ashville strength and conditioning couldn't have been nicer, and you should definitely take any opportunity to catch Steve up there for a camp, or just go lift if you're in the area.
    '
    I'll definitely always remember to "point my tits at the wall" when setting up for a proper pull from now on.

- Brian