starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Deadlift Form Check #1

Default Squat and Deadlift Form Check #1

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’m sorry in advance for the floor-up angle, but it’s all I have right now. I bought one of those gorilla grip tripods, and I plan to video the next several sets over the coming weeks (with better angles).

Here is my log:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=29002

Here is my video:

Final Warm-up Set, 155x2 (I put the wrong number of reps on the title screen)
    Rep 1- My eyes are fixed straight ahead, and the bar path is slightly wobbly.
    Rep 2 - Not as good. The bar goes forward at the bottom, and it turns into a Good Morning at the top.

Squat Work Set 1, 175x5
    Rep 1 - looks alright to me other than my eyes.
    Rep 2 - I mistakenly breathe on the way down, but the rep looks okay.
    Rep 3 - There was a bit of a Good Morning.
    Rep 4 - Lots of bar movement forward on the way up.
    Rep 5 - A little bar path wiggle.

Squat Work Set 2, 175x5
    Eyes seem better for this set. I’m in front of a mirror so I try to stare at my own feet in the mirror.
    Rep 1 - Reasonable
    Rep 2 - Reasonable
    Rep 3 - A bit of a Good Morning
    Rep 4 - Bar path woes
    Rep 5 - Reasonable

Squat Work Set 3, 175x5
    I started this set from a lower rack position. The top one feels a bit too high, but the one below feels way too low. And the shitty part of the lower rack is that I can’t lift straight out, I have to back it up as I lift or it will bang off of the position above and throw me off balance. This rack feels like a no-win situation, but it’s usually all I have available. I also go back to staring myself down in the mirror.
    Rep 1 - Bar went way forward at the bottom and I Good Morning the top.
    Rep 2 - Better
    Rep 3 - I’ve done worse, but this wasn’t great.
    Rep 4 - I’ve done worse, but this wasn’t great.
    Rep 5 - I’ve done worse, but this wasn’t great.

Deadlift Work Set 270x5
    I won’t go through this rep by rep. I need to work on my arch. I’m going to drop the weight considerably and work it back up. It’s not too heavy, and my grip is great on it... I just can’t get my back to cooperate, and I don’t want a lifelong injury from this shit. The last two reps going down were complete crap. Any suggestions or cues that you guys and gals can offer would be muchly appreciated.

I will get pictures or videos of my grip while I’m in the gym tomorrow... I need lots of help with that too.

Thanks in advance for any critique and tips!
    Last edited by jsteffen80; 03-20-2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Video Embed

You are not sitting back and you knees drift forward throughout the rep and your head position is only making this worse. TUBOW is what I would recommend to you. Get the knees set no later than 1/2 way down and sit back, keep your head in position, and you will feel what a true hip drive feels like.

Hope this helps,

Mac

Thanks Mac, I already did my squats for today, but I will get my 2x4 all chopped up and ready to go for Friday.

Side note: today felt quite a bit better at 180, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. I will post those videos later for further critique.

Here is a video of my three work sets from yesterday. I was using TUBOW. I struggle a great deal with bar/hand/arm placement. In the better position for sets 2 and (the beginning of) 3 it is VERY uncomfortable for my shoulders and elbows... so much so that after my sets my arms are tingly (like a pinched nerve).

I know there are several reps that break form, and a few Good Mornings in there, but I can generally feel the difference between a good and bad rep as it's happening. I need to continue working on consistency.

Please check it out and let me know how I can improve!

Your hand position is not good. The top of your hands to your forearms should be flat, you appear to bearing weight with your hands. Review the platform video Rip put out on bar placement.

looking down will solve some of your problems. pull that hat down real low over your eyes and focus right where the mirror hits that baseboard

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Your hand position is not good. The top of your hands to your forearms should be flat, you appear to bearing weight with your hands. Review the platform video Rip put out on bar placement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    looking down will solve some of your problems. pull that hat down real low over your eyes and focus right where the mirror hits that baseboard
    Thanks guys. I will get this right some day soon, I swear.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jsteffen80 View Post
    Thanks guys. I will get this right some day soon, I swear.
    today