starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Requirements to attend SS seminar

Default Requirements to attend SS seminar

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

I'd like to know the requirements (e.g. physical, technical) to attend the SS seminar in June. In particular, for someone like me who cannot get to the rack/clean position, can I still attend (and maybe even pass the course)?

Thank you.

Ability to demonstrate basic competence in the lifts is a part of passing the course. It is very rare for someone to be unable to perform a lift after receiving instruction and coaching at the seminars. This requirement is there because someone who hasn't had training experience and who can not understand the basics of a movement is not in a position to be able to coach.

On the other hand, it is rather common for us to have an attendee who cannot rack a clean due to their combination of proportions and flexibility or because of shoulder injury. Those people snatch instead. Our last attendee to do so was Mark E Hurling at the Costa Mesa seminar (see his experience here).

I'm saving up to attend one and I only have one-arm. I can't do any of the Rip lifts. But I know I can utilize the knowledge to pass on to others.

Good luck and hope you attend one. Which one are you looking at going to?

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Ability to demonstrate basic competence in the lifts is a part of passing the course. It is very rare for someone to be unable to perform a lift after receiving instruction and coaching at the seminars. This requirement is there because someone who hasn't had training experience and who can not understand the basics of a movement is not in a position to be able to coach.

On the other hand, it is rather common for us to have an attendee who cannot rack a clean due to their combination of proportions and flexibility or because of shoulder injury. Those people snatch instead. Our last attendee to do so was Mark E Hurling at the Costa Mesa seminar (see his experience here).
    Always the bad example, that's me. But to add to what stef said, I came to the Seminar not realizing just how much work my form needed in spite of reading SS:3 and working on trying to get things right before getting there DOA. But reading and trying to emulate the photos as good as the text and photos were in the book didn't help me to realize I was even more inflexible than I thought. Hell, it wasn't like I wasn't already the butt of a lot jokes in the dojo I'm part of when even the adults try to move my arm and shoulder in direction it doesn't want to go. It just locks up until it threatens to tear.

She also makes a good point about knowing the movements. The only one I had even close to right in terms of form and flexibility was the bench press. I had to concentrate so hard on getting the movements right it detracted from my ability coach others well. So I didn't get a shot at the test. What I need to do id work on my own form in the time honored Mr. Miyagi wax on/wax off tradition. Next time I grasp pebble, Grasshoppah.

I'm planning on attending the June 8-10 workshop. Thank you for your input.

Hi Stef,

So basically I can still attend, learn the same as everyone else, and not obligated to take (or even pass) the test ... did I get that right Btw is a car required to get around (e.g. hotel, WFAC, restaurant, etc.)?

Thanks.

Yes. People come with all sorts of background and experience. Everyone gets an assessment of their coaching performance, but only those who do well on that are invited to take the exam.

A car is required if you don't want to spend time walking. There are hotels within a couple of miles. That is walkable, but will eat into your time and, depending on the weather, could be rather unpleasant. Last June 12 was 104 with 20mi winds. Fun.

Hi North,

I just went to a seminar. I have VERY limited experience with BB training. The course was amazing. Do it or regret it....

HTL

HTL,

Which one did you attend and when? Thanks for your input.

starting strength coach development program
    I attended the Costa Mesa seminar held at Balboa Crossfit, held between March 9-11, 2012. Trust me, get your ass to a SSS ;>)

If like me, you were a bit intimidated by the coaching. don't let that stop you. It is a valuable experience and a part of the Starting Strength learning experience (NOT that I speak in any way for SS, just my impression). If you screw up your coaching duties (and you will) a real coach will step in and make the appropriate cues to the athlete. Please do not concern yourself with the coaching test, just do your best to learn from the trying-to-coach experience. The advance team is very good at setting up the groups so that EVERYONE in each group not only learns, but has something to contribute to their group regardless of experience.

HTL
    Last edited by HiTekLuddite; 03-24-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast