starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My failed attempt at 230x5. Any comments are appreciated - lemme have it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPvpUBllqqw

Bar is too far out in front of you. Review the set up for the DL in SS ed3.

Approach the bar, shins 1" from bar, bend over without bending your knees and grab bar (without moving the bar), bend knees until shins TOUCH the bar, squeeze your chest up hard, and perform the rep. Pull the bar up your body, the bar remains in contact with your skin the entire way. When the bar clears your knees, open the hips and stand tall at the top.

Additionally, when lowering the rep, don't do it so slowly, you're wasting a lot of energy there. On the eccentric portion, it's the opposite, bend at the hips first, when the bar lowers past the knees, bend the knees. This will put the bar in the correct location for the following rep.

Last thing, when you are doing this, you HAVE TO COMMIT. Don't stop pulling because it's heavy, it's supposed to be heavy. Lock down hard, squeeze your chest up, pick the thing up.

To go along with the stuff Mac has pointed out....

You have to push the floor hard with your feet. Think about pushing the floor away from you. Think "PUSH PUSH PUSH"...just throwing ideas out there. Hopefully I won't be called a retard for that.

I appreciate the feedback from both of you. I'm still pretty new at this and don't have any in-person help or coaching available to me.

I think I do give up too easy, just getting used to feeling a heavy (for me) weight gets me psyched out some times. And having seen the video I have to agree that I spend too much time lowering. The pushing with the feet is something I need to keep in mind as well.

I'll have to reasses my setup and look at Rip's description again, though. In terms of the bar being too far away, it does slide up my shins and maintains contact pretty much throughout, but I see what you mean about my chest needing to be up. Back to the drawing board.

Again, much thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KONG View Post
    To go along with the stuff Mac has pointed out....

You have to push the floor hard with your feet. Think about pushing the floor away from you. Think "PUSH PUSH PUSH"...just throwing ideas out there. Hopefully I won't be called a retard for that.
    I used this cue Tuesday night on a kid. I use it myself when I feel lack of leg involvement from the quads when they are doing their part.