starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check. desperate need for help

Default Deadlift and Squat form check. desperate need for help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    hey guys. Ive injured my back previously before from squats and it took me about 1 months rest before i could squat again. Deadlifting only reinjures my back so i decided to lay off it and it took approximately 8 months before i could start deadlifting again. Because of this, my squat numbers are higher than my DLs. My current numbers are

Bench - 86kg
    Press - 61kg
    Squat - 152.5 kg
    DL - 140kg??

So anyway, i decided to record myself deadlifiting as im now more cautious about my back. Ive read the SS book and tried my best to do whatever Rip had said to do in the book but i just cant get it right. The link to my video is posted below. I know my form is horrible but i hope yous can just do me a favour by watching it and letting me know whats going on with my form. Thanks!

DL 140kg x 5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzr0B...ature=youtu.be

DL 130kg x 5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKEMf...ature=youtu.be

DL 110kg x 5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1bdi...ature=youtu.be

Squat form check. 155kg x 5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ7_m...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Hoppa; 04-15-2012 at 11:55 PM.

your back is rounded when you set up and even more rounded right before you pull, i guess setting it straight at the top is gonna massacre your back?

You never actually get your back into extension.

If you're not doing so already, push your knees out to the sides and push your gut into the space between your femurs. Alternatively, arch your lower back as though you were trying to show your balls to someone behind you.

At the same time, arch your upper back as though you're trying to point your nipples at the wall in front of you.

I realize the cues are crude, but proper form involves a lot of displaying your ass, crotch, and tits out in various directions. As a friend of mine once taught me many years ago, "If you don't feel like the entire gym is staring at your ass, you're not deadlifting right." The crude cues tend to work.

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    You never actually get your back into extension.

If you're not doing so already, push your knees out to the sides and push your gut into the space between your femurs. Alternatively, arch your lower back as though you were trying to show your balls to someone behind you.

At the same time, arch your upper back as though you're trying to point your nipples at the wall in front of you.

I realize the cues are crude, but proper form involves a lot of displaying your ass, crotch, and tits out in various directions. As a friend of mine once taught me many years ago, "If you don't feel like the entire gym is staring at your ass, you're not deadlifting right." The crude cues tend to work.
    i really love your way of explaining things, its hilarious but yet so practical and useful

Went to the gym this morning but did not manage to use the cues Spar stated as i only checked the forums after my gym sesh. Will drop the weight and try the cues next session. Anyways, i dropped the weight today to 130kg and tried again, form still sucked. i added a link to my first post. Also decided to record myself squatting for a form check too. Please check it out guys.

You also seem to be looking up. Try looking at a fixed spot of ground in front of you. Maybe 8ft or so. Think BBT has some specific measurements.

Agree with all the other comments here. Would recommend dropping the weight until you're happier with form. These are reasonable weights, but I'd focus on nailing the form.

I might be wrong on this as its hard to tell from video, but looks like you have relatively long legs and short arms which often makes good form hard (but still achievable)

is there a ratio available anywhere that indicates whether you have long legs/short arms...etc..? oh, and btw, how's my squat form?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppa View Post
    is there a ratio available anywhere that indicates whether you have long legs/short arms...etc..? oh, and btw, how's my squat form?
    We'd need better video to critique your squat decently. You should take a look at the stickies at the top of this forum about filming form checks.

starting strength coach development program
    hey guys. got a new video in today. 110kg x 5. I think my form feels more solid today though im doing a lighter weight. Critique please! Will get another video in when i progress back to 120/130